Help: Totally at Sea on "The Jacket"

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

TruckWhatTruck
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: But how different this one looks ...

Post by TruckWhatTruck »

lpa53 wrote: Hope I'm not a bother. Everyone here has been so helpful.
if i'm not mistaken.... that's what these forums are here for. always glad to help. :D
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Oops, Forgot the Link

Post by lpa53 »

TruckWhatTruck
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Oops, Forgot the Link

Post by TruckWhatTruck »

lpa53 wrote:Delfloria's Todds Standard:

viewtopic.php?t=32449&highlight=delfloria+todds
i agree, looks great. and that's pretty much what you can expect in the Todd's, just so long as you are aware that it isn't a winter/heavy jacket.

in the end lpa, you'll just have to take the proverbial "leap of faith"- but as i think has been stated many times in this thread, the Todd's *seems* to be right up your alley.
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Kevin Anderson wrote:I simply didn't like the Todd's standard jacket; I've given my reasons, and If I was out of line stating my opinion of it, what's the point of a forum? I won't say any more on the matter.
Kevin, no one said that having an opinion was out of line. I was curious, on a personal level, as to why you might feel that way about the leather when other people have been satisfied with it. I gave the example of the guy who thought my Wested horsehide was "plastic" as an example of how even a really great leather can be interpreted by someone else as being, essentially, rubbish. I thought that might have been of interest.

There is no need to be silent on the matter; if you have more to say, by all means say it. I really enjoy hearing other people's POV and how they arrived at it.
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Rob wrote:
Kevin Anderson wrote:I simply didn't like the Todd's standard jacket; I've given my reasons, and If I was out of line stating my opinion of it, what's the point of a forum? I won't say any more on the matter.
Kevin, no one said that having an opinion was out of line. I was curious, on a personal level, as to why you might feel that way about the leather when other people have been satisfied with it. I gave the example of the guy who thought my Wested horsehide was "plastic" as an example of how even a really great leather can be interpreted by someone else as being, essentially, rubbish. I thought that might have been of interest.

There is no need to be silent on the matter; if you have more to say, by all means say it. I really enjoy hearing other people's POV and how they arrived at it.
Kevin, no kidding, you are definitely entitled to your opinion. No one wants all sugar and nice here when it comes to a review of some item. What comparison would this be without a negative perspective? Your comments are most welcome.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Some may dislike negative comments, especially about products they love. But the fact is, truthful criticism is very useful. Now, another member (who may or may not be posting at this time) who's opinion I value quite a bit in terms of gear, did back the Todd's standard as being extremely authentic, and as being what it claims to be; a nice budget Indy jacket. I believe he said that it felt and wore like a Raiders jacket right out of the box. High praise.

There are no claims that this jacket will take rugged abuse or keep you particularly warm. And no claim to being the highest quality jacket or hide you can get. It is what it is. If you want more out of a jacket in terms of strength or quality, shoot a little higher. But don't dismiss the Todd Standard as worthless. In fact, if I knew the cut was right for me, I'd own one by now.
TruckWhatTruck
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TruckWhatTruck »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:Some may dislike negative comments, especially about products they love. But the fact is, truthful criticism is very useful.
good point, and something each and every member of the forum would do well to remember. the free discourse of honest opinions is pretty much the entire point of an online forum in the first place, right?

back to the jacket- somebody needs to get weston in on this thread- his posts concerning the Todd's standard pertaining to endurance, etc, was spot on.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

I've been considering a Todd's Standard for a long time. I think they look great in members' pictures. The thing that's been holding me back is not the "thin" leather, but rather I'm not sure what the general consensus is about the quality of the stitches. To me it is the stitching that is the measure of how long a jacket will last, and is ultimately what separates a costume jacket from a "real world" jacket.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I know that IndyFalco beat his jacket unmercifully and all the stitching held up.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

That's promising. How does the stitching look? Is it neat or sloppy?
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Satipo wrote:That's promising. How does the stitching look? Is it neat or sloppy?
I have my new Todd's in front of me. I can tell you the stitching is comparable to that of any of my leather jackets; my mil spec A-2 and my USW Indy jacket.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Excellent! I can see I'll be pulling the PayPal trigger on one of these very soon. Now if only the dollar's value would slip back to half the pound's ... :wink:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Satipo wrote:Excellent! I can see I'll be pulling the PayPal trigger on one of these very soon. Now if only the dollar's value would slip back to half the pound's ... :wink:
We will then be wishing at cross purposes, my friend. Go dollar go for good Wested deals. :lol:
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

crismans wrote:
Satipo wrote:Excellent! I can see I'll be pulling the PayPal trigger on one of these very soon. Now if only the dollar's value would slip back to half the pound's ... :wink:
We will then be wishing at cross purposes, my friend. Go dollar go for good Wested deals. :lol:
Or paying for an ABD :D