The Fedora colour

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

The Fedora colour

Post by enigmata_wood »

When comparing colours to those on screen or in the press there is an inherent problem. Printing inks, optical cameras, digital cameras, TVs, DVDs and computer monitors all have different colour castes and colour temperatures. Manufacturers do much to calibrate them against each other but every step from object to eye adds its own colour.
The same object will look different against other colours (I have a 'breen' jacket! -- it looks green next to chocolate brown and brown next to woodland green).
Colour names like 'sable' and 'russet terracotta' are subjective experiences.
There is a way to match colours closely through the Pantone system.
All Pantone swatches are very precisely coloured and have a sell-by date due to fading in sunlight.

So I have a request.
If you own an original piece of Indy memorabilia - fedora or otherwise - could you please compare it, in even light, to a pantone swatch, then tell us all what the pantone number is?
The swatches are expensive but art supply stores will let you borrow their swatch in store or ask a printer, graphic designer friend to borrow theirs.
I imagine it will help a lot of people.
Many thanks
Enigmata Wood
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's been done many times. If you search the areas, you will find these comparisons, along with discussions regarding those swatches and comparisons.

Though interesting, it hasn't helped as much as one would think, as after a period of discussion and time they completely fade away. :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

ta

Post by enigmata_wood »

ahhh, there's nothing new under the sun. However I didn't findany specific referencesto the fedora pantone colour
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

That's an interesting series of questions. Each member seems to have his/her take on the color, and it varies according to certain lighting conditions, use, dirt, etc. The true screen accurate color is dependent on the color of rabbit felt that Curry sent to Herbert Johnson around 1980. In layman's terms, the color most often referenced is sable, and earthy brown hue.
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

subjective colour

Post by enigmata_wood »

Random fact:
the average human can discern many millions of nuances of colour, with practice and training, i.e. art school, it can rise further.
Yet, I cannot see what you are actually percieving in your mind.
You say tomato, I say raspberry, let's call the whole thing off-crimson
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: subjective colour

Post by Kt Templar »

enigmata_wood wrote:Random fact:
the average human can discern many millions of nuances of colour, with practice and training, i.e. art school, it can rise further.
Yet, I cannot see what you are actually percieving in your mind.
You say tomato, I say raspberry, let's call the whole thing off-crimson
There are more of those evil Disciples of the Pantone around here than you might imagine.

>>Kt<<

Unfortunately browns are not that well represented in the Book of Chips the Quest for Authentic Brown was more than the Swatch of Destiny could resolve.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Kt Templar wrote: There are more of those evil Disciples of the Pantone around here than you might imagine.

>>Kt<<
Yes indeed! Give in to the 447 Side! Thing is, most people look at us funny when we say PMS! (To you lay folk, that's Pantone Matching System. Seriously.) :wink:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Kt Templar wrote: There are more of those evil Disciples of the Pantone around here than you might imagine.

>>Kt<<
Yes indeed! Give in to the 447 Side! Thing is, most people look at us funny when we say PMS! (To you lay folk, that's Pantone Matching System. Seriously.) :wink:
And the snickers when you enter the chamber of the PMT, with the antechamber of the Enlarging Optics of Grant.
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

Another thing, the world does not actually look like the way we see as humans see it. There's still radiation in the ultraviolet and infrared spectrum that exists but it isn't visible light for humans.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Is THAT what that is? :lol: :wink:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

And ANOTHER "another thing"
(this one'll REALLY freak you out):

Did you know that if you're in the forest...

and you take off your fedora (regardless of ultraviolet rays and the infrared spectrum and whatever color it REALLY is)...

and you put it down (on a tree stump, for instance)...

and GO (leaving the hat behind)...

IN the forest, with NO ONE around for miles...

and a TREE FALLS... right?

NEAR your FEDORA...!

Well?

WELL?

My question for you is:
WHAT THE #&77 are you DOING leaving a nice hat behind in the forest for the sake of a science experiment?!! That was a CLOSE ONE!!!

:wink:

(Putting my fedora back on my head in a huff and storming out of the forest...)
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

Q: if a tree falls on your fedora in the forest and there is no one to hear it, does it make a sound?
A: who cares, I just wish I'd moved the hat.

re: ultraviolet and infra red light,
True - the 'cut off point', between visible and invisible wavwelengths actually varies a little from person to person.
Possible? - this is one explanation for Indiana Jones fans' uncanny ability to see any river rock as potentially glowing
Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

If a man speaks out loud while alone in the forest, and there is no woman to hear him...

is he still wrong?
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

:-k
whipitgood
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Los Angeles "A handsome devil in the city of angels."

Post by whipitgood »

I worked at a film post-production lab for over thirteen years. You'd be suprised at how many people were color blind. I'd say 1 out of 5 people who applied for Color Timer positions were rejected for this reason. All of those people didn't have a clue they couldn't perceive certain colors or shades until they were tested.