Got my Fed IV. How to "wear the hat without it wearing

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

indydobro
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Got my Fed IV. How to "wear the hat without it wearing

Post by indydobro »

Any advice on how to incorporate the Fed IV into what I'm wearing without it being the absolutely first thing that defines me, if that makes any sense?

Liam
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

It's really tough to do, IMO. First, you're going to want to wear clothes that the hat can match. Second, since it's on your head, it'll be the one of the first things that people see when they look at you. Are you going to wear it for everyday use or for special occasions? Dressing up with the hat I think allows it to complement your outfit. Dressing down with the hat means the hat is the outfit (what I normally do).

Sorry I'm not much of a help. :oops:
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I wear my hat with everything, basically everywhere. You first need to decide that it doesn't matter what others may think, only that you enjoy your fedora!

Wear it without caring what other people think and wear it because you enjoy it; for yourself.
Mighty_Draw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mighty_Draw »

I'll go on the record: Wearing a fedora will define your "look". You will become the "hat guy" regardless of what else you wear. If you are younger (I'm 22, so speaking from experience) its going to be an oddity to see a peer also wearing a fedora that doesn't have a stingy brim. A brown fed will garner Indy comments even if you wear a suit...

I predominantly wear my grey fed, and occasionally my "Indy hat-brown fed" but my hat experience is 98% positive and it definitely gets noticed and I get compliments almost daily.

Just keep in mind its different now days to wear a fedora. Wear whatever you are comfortable in.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

Just wear the hat and nothing else see what get's noticed first....sorry just had to throw that one out it was just sititng there for the taking, but really don't worry what people think life is too short enjoy yourself.
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

just wear it and if anyone gives you any problems just hit em in the huevos.
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

gabrielle wrote:I wear my hat with everything, basically everywhere. You first need to decide that it doesn't matter what others may think, only that you enjoy your fedora!

Wear it without caring what other people think and wear it because you enjoy it; for yourself.
Hear hear.
Kladd
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kladd »

Be PROUD To Wear a Fedora ...
Like ME ... =)

~§~
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I say, just wear it, and act naturally, don't constantly fiddle nervously with the fedora. I haven't worn mine "dressy" yet but, I'm fairly used to wearing non ball cap hats and am confident in atypical headwear.

Randy
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Wait until the one day that it is absolutely pouring rain out (of course based on your location, isn't that everyday?)
and everyone is running around getting drenched because it's what they always do...
And just be standing there in your hat staying nice and dry. :P
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Got my Fed IV. How to "wear the hat without it wear

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

indydobro wrote:Any advice on how to incorporate the Fed IV into what I'm wearing without it being the absolutely first thing that defines me, if that makes any sense?

Liam
It's all attitude. Just put it on and try to forget about it. If you walk around thinking about the fact that you are wearing a hat, that's when the hat wears you. Because your body language says "I am Me + Hat." It's just like a guy who gets his ear pierced and somehow, mystically, you can't help but notice. Because he's thinking "Me + earring."

Think about wearing a hat like you think about wearing a watch you've worn everyday for years. Yes, you will always be "the hat guy," but in a good way.
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Here is the first pic I took of myself after bashing my fed IV...What do you think??? I get nothing but compliments when I wear my fed...I'm very confident when I wear it and I'm very proud of it....It's all about how you carry yourself.

Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

You really ought to look at my thread about hats making a comeback! Basically I just match the fedora up with dress shirts (mostly Italian) and cotton or linen chinos.

Vegeta's picture is a really good example.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

There's an absolute STUNNER that works at my local chemist who said to me, today.."I've got a friend who's got a hat exactly the same as that, except his is black".

Of course I replied with..."and mine's better" :wink:

She laughed.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Vegeta wrote:Here is the first pic I took of myself after bashing my fed IV...What do you think??? I get nothing but compliments when I wear my fed...I'm very confident when I wear it and I'm very proud of it....It's all about how you carry yourself.

Thank you for illustrating my point. :wink: Good show!
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

Aggie wrote:You really ought to look at my thread about hats making a comeback! Basically I just match the fedora up with dress shirts (mostly Italian) and cotton or linen chinos.

YIKES!!!...What does that make MINE then??... :shock:
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

I'd say an even better example. Even though the shirt isn't in slightest a "matching" thing, you are simply another guy, with a cool hat.

I have to agree completely that it is all in how you carry yourself.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

Anubis'Scales wrote:I'd say an even better example. Even though the shirt isn't in slightest a "matching" thing, you are simply another guy, with a cool hat.

I have to agree completely that it is all in how you carry yourself.
I dunno if this guy's quite "nailed it"...

I think I'll call him Indiana Snones
indydobro
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indydobro »

Well I have just started university (on Saturday actually!) and the Fed IV has certainly drawn it's fair share of attention. Been handy as well to shield my eyes from the sun at times. Also, I am somewhat overweight (working on it :cry: :lol: ) but no one notices that now they just notice the hat, and that, I must say, is a good thing.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Mola Ram wrote:just wear it and if anyone gives you any problems just hit em in the huevos.
I'd rather give 'em a good punch to the nose, but whatever works ;-)
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

darthbish wrote:
Aggie wrote:You really ought to look at my thread about hats making a comeback! Basically I just match the fedora up with dress shirts (mostly Italian) and cotton or linen chinos.

YIKES!!!...What does that make MINE then??... :shock:
I tend to object to wearing a fedora with t-shirts and the like, but I never considered a sports jersey. Oddly enough, it kind of works (with the right 'tude, of course). :o Maybe because it's just a different kind of "adventure gear"????
indydobro
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indydobro »

Just to say that since posting this question, I have been wearing my Fed IV quite a lot, and I don't care what people think. Actually loads of people think it is cool, and a couple of them associate me with the hat and think it is fantastic. :whip:

Sorry I just had to use that emoticon.

Anyway, it also draws attention away from my being overweight so :)