Just got a whole bunch of Pecards.

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Blackthorne Rose
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Just got a whole bunch of Pecards.

Post by Blackthorne Rose »

I got home today to find a box from Pecards. I orderd the classic leather dressing, the cream (jell) and the brown water proofing which I have already used twice on my Decker boots and seems to be darkening them slightly. Also included, which I think Eric through in for free was a small can of boot oil. Does anyone know how I use this on my already treated Decker boots?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If you're asking about the boot oil, bear in mind, once you've applied the oil to the boot, that's what you'll have to use from now on, as the oil will completely penetrate the leather, and become one with the leathe fibers. Not a bad thing, if you like oil treated boots, but they'll become extremely dark in color too due to that penetration. Good stuff, but a one-way application. It never comes out. Aldens leather is a dry tanned leather. if you've been reading recent posts, we have a couple of folks discover that the hard way when they've dropped oil on their Aldens and the drop made a dark spot, and stayed there. The same thing will happen with application of the boot oil. Great for oil tanned boots..HIGHLY recommended as a matter of fact for the retreatment of those type boots. If that's what you're wanting, it's a great product. Regards Michaelson
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I too just bought a whole tub of Standard Pecards lotion, for only $4 bucks! :D

They sell it in a shop that sells Civil War reenactment gear, in Gettysburg. I've read that the Pecards is excellent for this type of leather gear and is what the Smithsonian uses to preserve a lot of their leather artifacts!

Later!
Captain D
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Captain D wrote:They sell it in a shop that sells Civil War reenactment gear, in Gettysburg.
Captn'... sounds like this may have to be a stop at the next PA Summit! :wink:

Mike
Blackthorne Rose
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Blackthorne Rose »

The only reason I ask is that I am having an extremely hard time darkening my Decker boots. I have applied to coats of the brown weatherproofing and it barely darkened the boots. What should I do. Will Meltonian darken them any?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Meletonian is a shoe creme, and is pretty close to a polish. If you're wanting those boots dark, and I mean dark, then use the shoe oil. You'll still be able to use the standard dressing, but forget using any water based dressing of any kind, as it will only lay on the surface of the boot after the leather has been oiled. Regards. Michaelson
Dr. Jones Jr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dr. Jones Jr. »

Is there any way to waterproof them, or make water resistant. I have a pair of non-aldens with similar constructions albeit without wooden heels. I wear them all the time tho no prolonged contact with water yet. thanx for the input.
-Chris
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Standard Pecards leather dressing is probably the best all around water resistance product you could use, and it helps preserve the leather all at the same time. Regards. Michaelson
Dr. Jones Jr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dr. Jones Jr. »

argh, my last post was meant for the other thread, sorry all!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No problem. Hope I helped answer your question. Regards. MIchaelson
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hey there Mike!

No prob. :D I'm itchy for the next summit, since I've missed the last one :cry: ....keep in touch!!

Capt. D