Best "REAL" Jacket?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Best "REAL" Jacket?

Post by Shagbd »

I might get flamed for this, but figured id ask...
I realize the MAIN concern on this forum is screen accuracy... being able to match up minute details in reproductions on on screen details... and thats fine..... not knockin that...
but I have heard that alot of the indy jackets offer are more "costumey" and not really "real"

what I mean is, i dont want a jacket thats going to fall apart if i brush up against a brick wall. I have owned fine smooth buttery leather jackets before that were just extremely delicate... some brush against something jagged and the jacket was ruined...
i guess what Im looking for is ruggedness.... to the Nth degree...
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Only thing I've heard about the weakness of a jacket is that lambskin rips easily (and I can vouch for that one myself). If you go with another hide, such as goatskin, just about any jacket out there would be a good jacket. But to be honest, lambskin isn't exactly delicate either, it's just moreso than the others :)

-KB :D
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Best "REAL" Jacket?

Post by eazybox »

Shagbd wrote:I might get flamed for this, but figured id ask...
I realize the MAIN concern on this forum is screen accuracy... being able to match up minute details in reproductions on on screen details... and thats fine..... not knockin that...
but I have heard that alot of the indy jackets offer are more "costumey" and not really "real"

what I mean is, i dont want a jacket thats going to fall apart if i brush up against a brick wall. I have owned fine smooth buttery leather jackets before that were just extremely delicate... some brush against something jagged and the jacket was ruined...
i guess what Im looking for is ruggedness.... to the Nth degree...
For ruggedness, I would suggest Tony Nowak's CS jacket from personal experience, and either G&B or U.S. Wings from reviews I've read.

Jack
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

go for the HorseHide or goat.

that is STRONG stuff..

I have a LC in HH and I feel like I can walk thru fire with it..and yet it is really soft for a horsehide..I am amazed how soft it became once it broke in..at first it was very stiff..but that goes away pretty quick...

it feels like a really thick and strong Lambskin.it would last you 50+ years easily

bests
Holt
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Here is an example of what a mere fragile lambskin jacket can shrug off.

You can see by the dust in the air that this is one continuous series of pictures documenting one leap of a rock face onto sharp rocks. I climbed that cliff 5 times to get the shot I started this post with, so I ended up in that rock pile enough times to total that jacket if it was truly fragile.
There were many more times that outing that had me rolling down the mountain side on goathead thorns and rocks, and after dusting off the jacket and picking out some thorns (thankfully they never reached my flesh!) it looked just fine.

This was just a fun outing to take some pictures for COW. I wear this jacket everyday, though my usual attire is jeans, jacket, and baseball cap.
I've even pulled chain at a lumbermill in my lamb and cowhide jackets, and they are still alive.

So don't worry that even a lambskin jacket will fall apart at the first sign of stress, but if in you are the least bit of doubt, get a Wings in goatskin. Then you would have the "ruggedness to the Nth degree" your asking for. I'm sure a goat or cowhide jacket from any of the favorite vendors will be above and beyond what is required.

Weston
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Well done Weston!

Myth-BUSTED!
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

I second the Templar's remark, and add an addendum of "You crazy, crazy man." O.O
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

I've had very good experience with my cowhide jacket.
The only thing thats fallen apart on it is the liner. But thats
no big deal considering how I treat my jackets.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Weston, now for your next stunt, try ROLLING down that hill and lets see how the lambskin holds up. 8) :wink:

Man, just LOOKING at those photos make my legs and back hurt! :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

you can't go by Weston's jacket because he's Superman and everytime he touches a jacket they become super and indestructable while the rest of of mortals well. ha ha I ljust love seeing Westons pictures and his adventures. Must be a fun place to live.Here in the city not much of anything to climb on.
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

I own a goatskin G&B and it's built like a tank!! I know where you are coming from Shagbd, I too would rather sacrifice a few detail in order to have an item be a strong functioning article. I apply this criteria to many areas besides Indy jackets, but it is aptly applied in this arena. I have no problems paying for a high dollar item, but durability comes waaay before accuracy.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Just don't have your jacket made from rat belly. I know it looks good and all, but you sacrifice durability for it.

#-o
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Even specific hide types vary from one vendor to the next, so it can be hard to say what hide is the weakest or toughest. Some lambskins are very delicate, and clearly not what you want, Shag.

Since you want the most durable leather Indy jacket you can find, I'll skip all the "god" options and head to the top of the heap.

Although I have never owned either of the following, I've learned enough about them over the years to recommend them as top performers; A goat skin G&B or a horsehide Wested. (If G&B makes a horsehide, add them to the list).

That is all.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

Goat is very durable and has a 'drape' soemthing like the lamb does (but not the same, and the finish is different too).

Horse Hide is the most durable I think, and if you have the option (from whomever) specify "front quarter horse hide".

I have a Schott custom in this and I have to agree with the post above that you can walk through fire with this hide.

I have also read first hand accounts (on Schott's blog) of owners who have slid after a bike spill, and got up and walked away from slides that would just KILL cow hide. These testimonials are part of what made me spend the extra money for this coveted hide.

I am currently contemplating having my Wested ToD replica jacket made in Horse Hide as I will have a Todd's in Lamb soon...

Bottom line: Goat is close in look and far more durable, Horse is the most durable of the options I see out there now.
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

The lambskin Wested is tougher than you might actually think BUT it definitely is the least tough of all the choices out there. It wears nice, drapes well. I wore mine everywhere doing everything from going to the store to hauling fallen trees to the wood chipper. Somewhere in there my lambskin Wested developed a very small tear (2mm). It never bothered me. It's just another character adding mark on the jacket. I did, however, glue the tear with leather glue so the tear wouldn't get any larger should it get caught on something again.

If you really want tough then the goats by G&B or Wested are really nice options. You can't beat Wested's bang for your buck. And if you have the cash the TN is my new all around favorite for toughness and looks.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I was just comparing the price of Wested lamb and goat.. who wouldn't spring for the goat. and why?

Did that make sense?

Randy
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I love my HH Wested, my lamb wested and my cowhide Nowak -- all are tough!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

theinterchange wrote:I was just comparing the price of Wested lamb and goat.. who wouldn't spring for the goat. and why?

Did that make sense?

Randy
Couple of reasons:

1) The film jackets for the original trilogy were lamb so that colours many people's choices.

2) Perceived drape, most think that lamb has the best most SA drape.

An even better choice IMO is washed goat, not shiny, soft and drapey. Good allrounder with some a lot of the stronger nature of standard goat.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Don't Call Me Junior! wrote:The lambskin Wested is tougher than you might actually think BUT it definitely is the least tough of all the choices out there. It wears nice, drapes well. I wore mine everywhere doing everything from going to the store to hauling fallen trees to the wood chipper. Somewhere in there my lambskin Wested developed a very small tear (2mm). It never bothered me. It's just another character adding mark on the jacket. I did, however, glue the tear with leather glue so the tear wouldn't get any larger should it get caught on something again.
The least tough is probably the Todd standard merely because it's the thinnest.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

I agree- the washed goat looks great for an indy jacket....

best of both worlds perhaps? :?
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Kt Templar wrote:
Don't Call Me Junior! wrote:The lambskin Wested is tougher than you might actually think BUT it definitely is the least tough of all the choices out there. It wears nice, drapes well. I wore mine everywhere doing everything from going to the store to hauling fallen trees to the wood chipper. Somewhere in there my lambskin Wested developed a very small tear (2mm). It never bothered me. It's just another character adding mark on the jacket. I did, however, glue the tear with leather glue so the tear wouldn't get any larger should it get caught on something again.
The least tough is probably the Todd standard merely because it's the thinnest.
KT you may be correct but I seem to recall a thread by Weston, I may be mistaken on the author, that shows that Todd's standard can take a heckuva beating. If the Todd standard really is the weakest leather for a "real" :roll: Indy jacket I would say we are all in good shape.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I think for a real leather jacket,I would have to ask what are you going to do in it,if it's to work and out to dinner and a show all of them will hold up but if you are going on real adventures that will put a beating on them my vote is goat and horsehide.
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

I think most of the offerings available to this community are "real" leather jackets...It's a matter of use, as people have said, as well as looks. The tougher leathers don't tend to drape the same as the softer ones but again I say it's subjective. Ford wore lambskin and it really distresses nicely. It may eventually rip if you really treat it harsh but hey, you can always buy another! If I get 7 years plus out of my Wested lambs I'll be happy.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

7 years..yes...I have seen 30year old lambskin jackets. :wink:

its all a mather of quality..thickness.surface finish.tannery.etc.etc.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

To my mind, toughness would not just be about the type of skin, but also the quality of stitching. When I see a jacket described as being mainly for costume use, I imagine weak stitches to be a factor. So my question would be, are there any jackets where the stitching is not sufficient to withstand daily use?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indiana Holt wrote:7 years..yes...I have seen 30year old lambskin jackets. :wink:

its all a mather of quality..thickness.surface finish.tannery.etc.etc.
I have seen 300 year old silk dresses that look brand new. Age is no reflection of strength in clothing. It is all about how it is worn and how often.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

And as shown by the shirt Peter now has to work from, what critters attack it in the mean time... :shock:
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

J!m wrote:And as shown by the shirt Peter now has to work from, what critters attack it in the mean time... :shock:
Hehe... :)
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Satipo wrote:To my mind, toughness would not just be about the type of skin, but also the quality of stitching. When I see a jacket described as being mainly for costume use, I imagine weak stitches to be a factor. So my question would be, are there any jackets where the stitching is not sufficient to withstand daily use?
That is absolutely correct. Stitching is just as important a factor when speaking about jacket strength. There have been examples of old A-2 flight jackets from WW2 where the leather held up, but the cotton stitching has basically disintegrated over the years. Cheers
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Usually a 'safe bet' is to inquire whether or not a garment is 'mil-spec'. Their materials are ususually over-engineered and specified to withstand more than normal wear and tear of a standard store bought garment.

Regards! Michaelson
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

The Knower of Things strikes again!! As usual Michaelson puts an end to the discussion..... Mil-Spec, say no more. If it's good enough for Uncle Sam's boys, it should stand up to whatever we throw at it..... Except maybe Pitfall Harry or Snakewhip :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Except maybe Pitfall Harry or Snakewhip
Agreed. You get those boys involved, ALL bets are off. :roll: :lol:

Regard! Michaelson
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Getting the itch but don't know where to start...

Post by lpa53 »

While I'm waiting for my first-ever fedora from Mr. Keppler, I'm getting the itch for enhancing the picture with a ROLA jacket, but know next to nothing about them.

I'm not an "adventurer" and have worn an old inexpensive black leather jacket to work for years. It's now worn out so I at least have somewhat of an excuse (to give the wife) to look for another.

I looked at Wested and the pics there seem to show the goatskin as being grayer than the ROLA jacket. Is that the case (I'd prefer a browner look)?

Has anyone from the US ordered one of these and, if so, does it take a long time to get and are they easy to fit? I'd hate to have to send it back.

The things I've seen at US Wings just seem like regular flight jackets to me. What do people generally think is the best bang for the buck for a close to SA jacket that's still not too fragile?

Later on ....

I've been looking more at the USW site and found all of the less expensive variations, more in line with the Wested prices it appears. If I' looking for authentic rather than take-a-beating durable, is the Wested better?

My wife (yes, I told her about it!) thinks getting it from the UK would be risky if I had to return it ...

One more thing - I'm 54 and am recovering from a second autoimmune attack on my neuro system - don't think I need to worry about something lasting 50+ years!