Indy pants at Orvis

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Indy pants at Orvis

Post by TheMechanic »

I just got the new Orvis Mens catalog today and found these Indy pants. They look great and have the right pocket flaps.
However for the price you can get a pair of Magnoli's custom made.
These do look great however and the wool/poly blend is long lasting and machine washable. It has an internal elastic waist too.

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoic ... t_id=12377
Last edited by TheMechanic on Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

Great find Mechanic, thanks for posting. The WWII Mechanic sweater is pretty cool too...
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Oh yeah, I've been eyeballing that Mechanic's sweater for 2 years. I hope they go on sale.
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

Any opinion on their Bush Shirt, stone or dark Khaki??? It's looks to be a very Indyesque, and the price is lower than the Exofficio Air strip shirt which is a great material for here in AZ.

I'm leaning moe towards the Dk khaki for an alternative Indy shirt.....The stone seems too white....

I'm thinking the Mechanic sweater has X-mas gift written all over it buddy :wink:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

great find and orvis has excellent product and customer service imo........looks like i'm gonna have to get some of these :D

thank you sir!
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

I'm definitely getting a pair as soon as I can.
Hunter57
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Hunter57 »

Bowie wrote:Any opinion on their Bush Shirt, stone or dark Khaki??? It's looks to be a very Indyesque, and the price is lower than the Exofficio Air strip shirt which is a great material for here in AZ.

I'm leaning moe towards the Dk khaki for an alternative Indy shirt.....The stone seems too white....

I'm thinking the Mechanic sweater has X-mas gift written all over it buddy :wink:
Stone is definitely the one you want. The khaki is too dark. The stone is not white at all. I have a couple already.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I have the dark khaki bush shirt and while stone would be a much better Indy color, let me tell you these are GREAT shirts for real world wear. I picked two up on sale for $19 each. If you know how much these go for, you can see what a deal that was. If you are ever in Vermont they sometimes have sales in their showroom there.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

"If you're ever in Vermont"....every day buddy, just never in Manchester.
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

Bowie wrote:Any opinion on their Bush Shirt, stone or dark Khaki??? It's looks to be a very Indyesque, and the price is lower than the Exofficio Air strip shirt which is a great material for here in AZ.

I have the bush shirt in both khaki and stone, and it is a thicker, heavier cotton twill, than say the LL Bean one here, which I also have.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 45888&sc1=

The LLBean is probably better for warmer weather...
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

Raider S wrote:I have the dark khaki bush shirt and while stone would be a much better Indy color, let me tell you these are GREAT shirts for real world wear. I picked two up on sale for $19 each. If you know how much these go for, you can see what a deal that was. If you are ever in Vermont they sometimes have sales in their showroom there.
$19 eh :-k

What time of year did you buy it? Were they factory seconds? And I assume you got them from the flagship manchester store?
Last edited by bobjones on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Man, those are pretty cool pants, but just the thought of spending $130 on "close enough's" makes my eye twitch.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

All the available pants I've ever seen are only 'close enoughs'. I might get a pair and compare them to my Magnoli's (when I get them).
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

It's a pity Orivs is no longer making their officer's pinks repros. The material is dead on cavalry twill and the pocket flaps are great, even if they are flat front trousers. (They even have the watch pocket, Michaelson! :wink: ) I have a pair I found for cheap and they are my favorite trousers. I've compared them next to Wested and Noel Howard pants, and upon first look, you can't tell the difference. The flat front is the giveaway.
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

Just found this "close enough" shirt at Eddie Bauer:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Men/Shirts ... hide%22%7D

It's the "Expedition Solid Color Twill" on the 2nd row down on the left..maybe its supposed to be the wife to the G&B Expedition jacket... :D
TheFedoraGuy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TheFedoraGuy »

Hm, don't know if US and UK stores run the same product, but I got a pair of light grey "most comfortable wool blend trousers" some time ago (a year and a half maybe) from Orvis UK:

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product_ch ... at_id=7431

I must say I'm not too happy, not a single seam without lose threads. Would not buy them again. BTW the UK version does have a front zipper instead of front buttons.

Not screen accurate at all but my favourite cavalry twill trousers ever:

http://www.cordings.com/CordingsSite/pr ... 8TANMD.htm

They have no back pocket flaps but at least buttons instead of a zipper.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

It's a pity Orivs is no longer making their officer's pinks repros. The material is dead on cavalry twill and the pocket flaps are great, even if they are flat front trousers. (They even have the watch pocket, Michaelson! ) I have a pair I found for cheap and they are my favorite trousers. I've compared them next to Wested and Noel Howard pants, and upon first look, you can't tell the difference. The flat front is the giveaway.
They are made in China too.
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

Thanks for all the bush shirt input guys!! I guess I will have to employ my age old cover all solution and get one of each.... My wife supports my hobbies, but will probably roll her eyes at more neutral shirts on my side of the closet. :lol:

My response is.... At least I match!! Not to mention in the desert I simply back up to rock and vanish :wink: Indy clothes make great camouflage in the southwest.
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

Here's another good quality shirt I found from of all places, Urban Outfitters. It is a thick herringbone patter cotton that looks great, I am waiting until it drops in price on sale and then grabbing a few...

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/ca ... ush&color=
bullit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bullit »

Thanks for the link Mechanic, What a great find!
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

bobjones wrote:$19 eh :-k

What time of year did you buy it? Were they factory seconds? And I assume you got them from the flagship manchester store?
My brother picked two up for me a few weeks ago in Manchester when he was there for a business meeting. The sale tag they came with was marked $69 but I think this was part of a big clearance as he also got me a couple Leica camera straps for a few bucks.