Whipcracking explained so well that even I understand it!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Marc
Vendor

Whipcracking explained so well that even I understand it!

Post by Marc »

Hey gang,

a friend of mine has been training an teaching whipcracking for several years. Though I have a deep fascination for those of you guys who can make a whip crack with ease and making it look even easier, anyone whose ever seen me hammering away with my whips like a bulldozer must have been reminded of their earliest days (and / or just had a good laugh :lol: ). I've always supposed that due to me not being able to practice 3 hours a day, I'd never get any better at it but Bob was convinced that he could teach me some basic cracks within a few hours (and I've proved others wrong with the same attempt in the past :roll: ), so I kinda put him on hold with comments like "sure, just drive up to my place (8-9 hours), teach me and have a nice trip back" :wink:

Bob told me that he could make some videos of how to handle the whip and though I'd seen some of you guys do some incredible stuff with you bullwhips on youtube, it usually ended up with red ears :wink: and / or stripes on the back :x Anyway, Bob kinda insisted and since he was starting to become rather annoying with that silly idea of teaching me how NOT to look like a complete jerk when swinging a bullwhip, I gave in and he got to work.

Now, fast forward a couple of months and Bob sent me some teaser clips that were explained so professionally and detailed, that I actually gave it a try and DANG!!! - Some cracks DID work after only a few MINUTES :shock:

So, Bob got another friend to upload some teasers on youtube and for the respect of the hard work that he put into making this, I'd like to share them here.

Here's the intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6dD1WcrV_g&NR=1

...and then some pre-views: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7-Mmfr8IoU&feature=user (this one gives you a pretty good idea of how the various cracks are explained in detail).

It's planned to get it all burned on a DVD and I'm looking forward to see the entire thing, so I'm the guy able to show off on the next summit instead the "hatter who makes a fool of himself, when exchanging the needle with a whip".

Regards,

Marc
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

i like that
looks like he really takes his time in explaining each and every nuance of the crack!

I have just about every video out there on the "how to's" of whipcracking and from a martial arts instructor standpoint, i feel that they are all flawed in certain aspects.

what I mean is that there is no ONE definative instructional whipcracking video on the market............ yet.....

prehaps this is it? I dont know...... only time will tell.

BTW when he was listing off MASTER whipmakers, he listed Lauren Wickline first!!! CONGRATS LAUREN!
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

If my memory serves me correctly, Lauren was the first whipmaker to make a Katana handle bullwhip :wink: If that doesn't qualify... 8)

Regards,

Marc
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Marc wrote:If my memory serves me correctly, Lauren was the first whipmaker to make a Katana handle bullwhip :wink: If that doesn't qualify... 8)

Regards,

Marc

thats true, thats true.... and she is also going to be the first whipmaker to ever make a WAKIZASHI (short sword) bullwhip to match the Katana!

whoops! I let the cat outta the bag.....
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Let us know when we can buy it.

Post by Mannie Bothans »

I presume this DVD will be available for purchase?
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I guess so... :? I'd have to ask myself to be honest.

Regards,

Marc
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Thanks for the post Marc, that looks like a very helpful video. I tried teaching some family members last weekend; the result was my whip is going back for repair. :cry: I wish I had a video like that to show them first!

Weston
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Ouch. Who did you buy your whip from Weston?
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

It's an EM-Brand. The broken strand was likely due to the way my cousin was flogging the ground. Bernie is first class; he's fixing it at no charge.

Weston
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I just spoke to Bob and the DVD WILL be available for purchase for a dirt cheap price :D 18$ plus shipping!!!

I've ordered mine right away!!!

Regards,

Marc
Brisco
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Brisco »

Marc wrote:I just spoke to Bob and the DVD WILL be available for purchase for a dirt cheap price :D 18$ plus shipping!!!

I've ordered mine right away!!!

Regards,

Marc
How do the rest of us order a DVD? Does Bob have a web page?
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Sorry for the late reply Brisco.

Yeah, he'll build a website: http://www.whip-basics.de/ Nothing to see there yet though.

Anyway, I spoke to him yesterday and the DVD is done except converting the material from the HDD to NTSC. I hope to get mine within the next couple of weeks though.

Regards,

Marc