Pocket Power!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Pocket Power!

Post by prettybigguy »

I received The Edge's Pocket Bull #11 on Friday & it is a beauty! Such a fun little whip to crack and it's good and loud. One of the things I really like about it is that I can stand on my concrete driveway and crack away without worrying about it getting scraped up on the pavement. Thatnks again Edge, let us know when you start producing full size bullwhips. My little "calf" made need a big brother!
PBG
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Edge doesn't make full size whips?
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

im sure he does but not to sell....
im not sure but to me it looks like he uses
precut lace for his whips.....Am i incorrect?
I dont mean it in a bad way...I just really
am not sure if you do or not...You could
just be really good at cutting lace :D
How long have you been doing this anyway?
mola
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Re: ...

Post by Sergei »

Molorom wrote:im sure he does but not to sell....
im not sure but to me it looks like he uses
precut lace for his whips.....Am i incorrect?
I dont mean it in a bad way...I just really
am not sure if you do or not...You could
just be really good at cutting lace :D
How long have you been doing this anyway?
mola
Congrats PBG! Now that makes 5 in Southern California.

Mola:
Nope. No way the Edge will ever use pre-cut laces. He cuts his own from roo hide he gets from DM.

And yes, he has made stock whip and bullwhips. I've seen them. But it took a lot of people pressuring him to just make the pocketbull. He will only make the other whips for sale, when he is good and ready.

-Sergei
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

well of course thats the right way to do it....
you would not want a whip thats not up to
the makers full skills now would you.
Mola

P.S.
sorry i was so low life as to think you used pre cut laces.. :oops:
i feel kinda stupid now.....your stuff is quality work and why
would you do that......
Mola Ram
Vendor

cut laces...

Post by Mola Ram »

by the way kyle....What do you use
to cut laces?
mola
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

I'm glad you're happy with the whip, PBG! Have fun.

I do make regular bullwhips and stockwhips but at the moment I only make them for my own use. While they are very functional my skill as a whip maker is not up to a standard that I deserve to compete with Morgan, Murphy, Strain, Stenhouse, etc. I've got my measurements for the Pocket Bulls to a point where I feel I'm selling a quality whip and I'm not intruding on anyone's market. Maybe in a couple years. This is all just a hobby anyway! :D

As for pre-cut lace, no I cut out all of my sets by hand from kangaroo hides.
Molorom wrote:by the way kyle....What do you use
to cut laces?
I use a click-it hobby knife and my thumb nail as a guide.

-The Edge
Dittmer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Pocket Power!

Post by Dittmer »

prettybigguy wrote:One of the things I really like about it is that I can stand on my concrete driveway and crack away without worrying about it getting scraped up on the pavement.
Yeah, I love that it's short enough that you can crack it over pavement. I've also grown fond of cracking it in the house ....in really confined spaces where whips have no business being. :twisted:

Congrats on the purchase, PBG!
-Dittmer
MaryonRavenwood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MaryonRavenwood »

One of my favorite memories from the QM was when ITG and I went out onto the Promenade and she cracked her pocket-bull!! Man, that was loud! And highly entertaining. Apparently, security had issues with certain people cracking whips on the ship that weekend. :twisted:
Regards--Maryon
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Dittmer wrote:I've also grown fond of cracking it in the house ....in really confined spaces where whips have no business being. :twisted:
:-s Uh, I hope you're not doing anything naughty with it. :-&
MaryonRavenwood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Just remember, boys--whips aren't TOYS...in all meanings of the word. :twisted: :wink:
Regards--Maryon
Dittmer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dittmer »

The_Edge wrote: :-s Uh, I hope you're not doing anything naughty with it. :-&
HA! ...that would be a resounding NOOOO! :shock:
-Dittmer
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Eleven pocket bullswhips now. So, who all currently owns one of these beauts?

Sergei, Chamorro, Gorak, Dittmer, Mola, ITG, prettybigguy, Rundquist, ... seems like I'm forgettin' 3 folks.

I.J.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Nope, take me off the list. I don't have one of Kyle's pocket bulls. Add Koreana Jones and Minnesota Jones to your list. Brings ya to 2 lost pocket bulls.
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

The owners of the eleven current Pocket Bulls are: Sergei, Rundquist, Koreana, Dalexs, Dittmer, Gorak, PrettyBigGuy, MN Jones, Chamorro, my Mom and, of course, me.

Number twelve and thirteen have all ready been claimed and are in the works as we speak.

The_Edge
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

It's like we're all members of a special club! :)
I love my lil' pocket bull.... still have to properly break it in, but it's getting there....
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

The_Edge wrote:The owners of the eleven current Pocket Bulls are: Sergei, Rundquist, Koreana, Dalexs, Dittmer, Gorak, PrettyBigGuy, MN Jones, Chamorro, my Mom and, of course, me.
Wow. I didn't know your mom cracked whips. That's pretty cool!
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Indiana Joe wrote:Wow. I didn't know your mom cracked whips. That's pretty cool!
Actually, she doesn't really. It mostly just hangs coiled from her rocking chair as a decoration but every once in a while she gives it a try. Her Pocket Bull is the very first one I made.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Pocket Bullwhip Social Club - Southern California Chapter

Post by Sergei »

Pocket Bullwhip Club - Southern California Chapter

This is, "How The West Was Won". :-)

WE held our first meeting of the Pocket Bullwhip Club -Southern California Chapter last August 23rd. Unfortunately PBG, did not have his Pocket Bull at the time. So the picture is already out of date.

Pocket Bullwhip Social Club - Southern California Chapter

I have to admit the picture is more like, "Dude, Who Stole My Ark". :-)
Last edited by Sergei on Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I guess what I find ironic is that Sergei and I were the first ones to announce and promote the pocket bull by Kyle before and at the first QM Indygear summit, and I have YET to get one. I REALLY need to squirrel away my pennies before the family finds them. I feel left out! :( :wink: He's just getting better and better! Regards. Michaelson
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Pocket Bullwhip Social Club - Southern California Chapte

Post by prettybigguy »

[quote="Sergei"]Pocket Bullwhip Club - Southern California Chapter

WE held our first meeting of the Pocket Bullwhip Club -Southern California Chapter last August 23rd. Unfortunately PBG, did not have his Pocket Bull at the time. So the picture is already out of date.[quote]

Sergei,
Hopefully we can take another one soon!
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

That is so fxxxgxn' cool! Thanks guys! Image
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Koreana, where's your hat?

Lemme guess...Sergei got his first, then Koreana, then Runquist, then Chamorro...I'm guaging by the color of the whips assumming they all started out as natural hide. Lookin' good guys!
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:Koreana, where's your hat?

Lemme guess...Sergei got his first, then Koreana, then Runquist, then Chamorro...I'm guaging by the color of the whips assumming they all started out as natural hide. Lookin' good guys!
>>Koreana's hat? We used it for target practice.

>>The order of the whips according to purchase was:
- Sergei, Rundquist, Koreana, Chamorro
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Pocket Bullwhip Social Club? Hey, wasn't "Compay Blaine" in that group? :wink:
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Sergei wrote:>>Koreana's hat? We used it for target practice.
Don't tell Michaelson that! :shock:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Don't tell me what? #-o :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Chamorro wrote:Pocket Bullwhip Social Club? Hey, wasn't "Compay Blaine" in that group? :wink:
Yes, Compay Blaine was there and a member. But for technical reasons he needed to take our picture and he didn't own a Pocket Bullwhip. :-(
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Here's a shot I FINALLY took of my pocket bull....

Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Great pic, Minnesota. Looks like it'll fit in the MK VII quite nicely. It reminds me of one of the Indy novels in which Indy pulled his whip out his "satchel." I don't recall the book but I tried fitting my 8-footer in it a few months ago and there was no way it was going to make it.

I.J.
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

It does fit. I think that's why The Edge made them 4 feet. He wanted it to fit in the bag.
MaryonRavenwood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

What brilliant planning!
Regards--Maryon
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

How much does one of these little gems usually run?

It looks like it would fit nicely into some of the pockets I have in my pants (cargo pants---they make dem pockets BIG). Strikes me as a good take anywhere whip without having one dangling from your belt all the time making you look like, oh i dunno, some crazy Indiana Jones fanatic or something. :D
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Farnham54 wrote:How much does one of these little gems usually run?

It looks like it would fit nicely into some of the pockets I have in my pants (cargo pants---they make dem pockets BIG). Strikes me as a good take anywhere whip without having one dangling from your belt all the time making you look like, oh i dunno, some crazy Indiana Jones fanatic or something. :D
I charge $120 plus $5 shipping for my Pocket Bulls.

Yes, I carry my Pocket Bull in my MKVII all the time. Fits perfectly. I just had it in there at the State fair and security didn't even give it a second glance. I've even carried it in the cargo pocket of my FS jacket. The handle protrudes but it's out of the way. Sometimes I tuck it behind me in my belt. However, when I'm out in the woods hiking I carry a full size whip hanging from my belt like "some crazy Indiana Jones fanatic or something."
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

The_Edge wrote:The owners of the eleven current Pocket Bulls are: Sergei, Rundquist, Koreana, Dalexs, Dittmer, Gorak, PrettyBigGuy, MN Jones, Chamorro, my Mom and, of course, me.

Number twelve and thirteen have all ready been claimed and are in the works as we speak.
Well, I had to jump on the bandwagon and try to obtain one of these beauties. I received #13 in yesterday's mail and got a chance to try it out this morning.

Can someone say, FAST!?? After handling an 8 foot nylon all this time, it was no wonder Kyle's leather pocket bullwhip didn't crack the first few tries. I was too frickin' slow! Once I exponentially increased the speed of the shouder, arm, and wrist action this pocket bullwhip was doing what it was created to do---crack. I'm talking nice, clean, and crisp cracks. I say "clean, and crisp cracks" because, despite the outstanding testimonies regarding these pint-sized beauties, I just couldn't imagine something that short delivering the cracks of larger (longer) whips that I've had to opportunity to crack.

Moving my arm that fast for twenty minutes got me sweating pretty quickly---a nice workout, if you'd call it that. I just don't break a sweat with my 8 footer. The increased speed caused me to hit myself several times. I walked inside with a couple of lashes across my calves and one on my forearm. I think I would've had several on the back of my hands had it not been for the Well's Lamont 1130's. The good news is that towards the end I started to get a feel for where this little whip is when it's zipping through the air. I believe that one's whip-awareness (is that a term? :) ) is paramount to handling a whip properly. Well, it sure helps if you don't want hit yourself! :D

Anyway, I really love this thing. Thank you, Kyle. You've done excellent work. And, although I've already told you, I'd like to say publically that you have excellent customer service and your business ethic stands out as a shining example for which all vendors, in any industry, should strive.
All of your communication was prompt and professional and your quality control measures are outstanding. <--- if there was a "tipping the fedora" smilie, I would insert it there. (Abner? Can you add that to the list of emoticons?)

My fellow Gearheads, if you're looking for a unique addition to your whip collection you should really consider The Pocket Bull from The Edge. Kyle is great to do business with and he does great work. :whip:

I.J.
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Thanks, Indy Joe! I am humbled by your gracious write up. It will only get better with use. Once the whip breaks in you'll find that you won't have to move it nearly has hard and fast to get your cracks. I probably braid them too tight but I just can't stand limp noodle whips.

Take care.

The_Edge
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

The_Edge wrote:Thanks, Indy Joe! I am humbled by your gracious write up. It will only get better with use. Once the whip breaks in you'll find that you won't have to move it nearly has hard and fast to get your cracks. I probably braid them too tight but I just can't stand limp noodle whips.

Take care.

The_Edge
Kyle, keep braiding them tight. Like you, I can not stand limp whips. Limp whips are just ropes. You can't control them. You do need some degree of tension to get the cracks going.

-Sergei