My Wested washed lambskin SPECIAL EDITION is here....

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

It seems that 7 of us (at least) bought this special edition. Here's the list for what I know:

1. DVD connoisseur
2. Indybrit
3. jnicktem
4. Indyfalco
5. Herr Doktor
6. Indiana Strones

Any other? Just 13 jackets still available!
:wink:
Last edited by Indiana Strones on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

I think there is more than 6, judging by what Gemma said to me today.

Mine will not be shipped until Friday so gents, keep the pictures coming. Something tells me this jacket will be good
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

Okay I'm getting alittle worried about the color of the jacket. I wore to class today and I swear it looked Green. A friend said "hey,I like your jacket. It's interesting you picked it in a shade of green though"

My jaw dropped!!! The jacket looks brown under low light but indoors, in a classroom, it looks .....olivish green.

I hope this is just my mind playing games with me.
Guys, open me up a therapy session. Is anyone else witnessing "green" ?
Last edited by IndyFalco on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I'll let you know when I get mine. :D

I hope this isn't the case though. It looked so good in the pictures. If it does have the olive green tint, I guess I'll sell it and go with my original intent of the washed goat.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I'm sure it will be ok.

But I still can't get over how good the color of the washed goat is. Can't imagine a more perfect shade of dark brown - they totally nailed it.
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

Well, I'm not going to give up on this jacket. The cut and the feel is truly awesome and the leather has such a distinctive touch.

The COLOR the COLOR the COLOR...
It's a really different leather. It literally gives me one color under a specific light and then another color under a different light.

Under direct sunlight or well lighted classroom it has a greenish hue and naturally I'm a little swayed by it. Although, I promise I'll give it a break after a few more days of wearing the jacket.

To sum it up for readers,
The jacket is Brown. It's just that under some lighting it tends to have a olive greenish look to it. That's all.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

That's interesting, personally I found it had that olive effect under fluorescent lighting but not under tungsten or natural light. It's a very subtle effect. I didn't see it on a fully made up jacket, only on the uncut skins. Slight shame because it has beautiful drape and feel.

I wonder if anyone can capture it in a photo?

If at all concerned, I'd have always advised the washed goat instead, it doesn't have the olive effect.
Last edited by Kt Templar on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Hey Falco,

I just can't wait to get mine. The fact that light will play tricks to the eye only adds to the appeal of this jacket. Only 20 are being made. 8)

Any more pics :wink:
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Indiana G: yes, it's a 42! :wink:

Hey Strones,

How tall are you? My order is a 42 as well. The fit looks good BTW. Outdoor pics please :wink:
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I hope the colour won't bother me too much as I'm hoping this jacket might replace my goat. While the goat is tough and yet fairly drapey - I just don't like the feel. It has a colder and more plasticy feel to it in comparison to lamb or cowhide. I suspect this is the nature of goatskin in general which is why I didn't go for a washed goat.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

IndyBrit wrote:Indiana G: yes, it's a 42! :wink:

Hey Strones,

How tall are you? My order is a 42 as well. The fit looks good BTW. Outdoor pics please :wink:
I'm 181 cm.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

whiskyman wrote:I hope the colour won't bother me too much as I'm hoping this jacket might replace my goat. While the goat is tough and yet fairly drapey - I just don't like the feel. It has a colder and more plasticy feel to it in comparison to lamb or cowhide. I suspect this is the nature of goatskin in general which is why I didn't go for a washed goat.
I don't like goat too. I perfectly understand what you mean with "plastic feel"... I had a black goat "Fonziesque" jacket and I hated it. :?
Inbanana
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Inbanana »

IndyFalco wrote: The jacket is Brown. It's just that under some lighting it tends to have a olive greenish look to it. That's all.
Its kind of ironic that before finding this and other indy gear sites, I always used to think that the jacket in the movies had a gray/olive undertone to the brown in certain scenes/lighting conditions... but darker, because i always thought the jacket on screen was much darker. Now after reading a lot of threads about the color, I've started to become more convinced that the jacket was actually a lighter brown... Anyway, I wonder if the leather was an authentic brown color before it was "washed". If so, I wonder what the dark brown lambskin would look like washed...
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Inbanana wrote:
IndyFalco wrote: Anyway, I wonder if the leather was an authentic brown color before it was "washed". If so, I wonder what the dark brown lambskin would look like washed...
It's very hard to understand why Peter offers every kind of hides except for an auth brown washed lamb, that IMO is THE MOST REQUESTED AND SOUGHT AFTER by fans. It's a mistery. :?: :?: :?:
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Gents,

I hear what you are saying about goatskin. True it does not have the soft feel of other hides, but on the plus side it is tough and Wested's "new" goat offer does drape. The fit and cut of the recent OTRs is bang on as well.

I'm keeping the goat skin for those colder rainy days.

The washed lamb fills the hole left by the donation of my first dark brown lamb to member od the family. You just cannot beat the feel of a lambskin jackets.

Hey Strones: Thanks for the height.I'm around the same, so I anticpate a good fit based on your pics
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Inbanana wrote:
IndyFalco wrote: The jacket is Brown. It's just that under some lighting it tends to have a olive greenish look to it. That's all.
Its kind of ironic that before finding this and other indy gear sites, I always used to think that the jacket in the movies had a gray/olive undertone to the brown in certain scenes/lighting conditions... but darker, because i always thought the jacket on screen was much darker. Now after reading a lot of threads about the color, I've started to become more convinced that the jacket was actually a lighter brown... Anyway, I wonder if the leather was an authentic brown color before it was "washed". If so, I wonder what the dark brown lambskin would look like washed...
Don't forget that Raiders has a lot of dark lit indoor scences-idol, ravens bar, well of souls, visit to the old man. We all tend to focus on these for reference to the jacket. We all love these scences for the drape and look The lighting plot for these scences has big effect on what you see. By contrast look at the fight scence around the flying wing. Granted there is a lot of fullers earth and location dust on the jacket, but here it is not that dark.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

IndyBrit wrote:
Don't forget that Raiders has a lot of dark lit indoor scences-idol, ravens bar, well of souls, visit to the old man. We all tend to focus on these for reference to the jacket. We all love these scences for the drape and look The lighting plot for these scences has big effect on what you see. By contrast look at the fight scence around the flying wing. Granted there is a lot of fullers earth and location dust on the jacket, but here it is not that dark.
Yes, you're very right.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Fourescent lights will give off that greenish cast - do a little searching about color correcting in photography and you will find out more than you want to know. I wouldn't worry so much about it. I once worked with a guy who's toupee had a greenish cast under flourescent! :shock:

As far as the wased goat in rain, not sure how resistant it is. It's a very soft leather and the treatment leaves it quite pourous. If I were going to plan on getting it quite soaked, I'd apply a coat of the Pecards Leather Lotion - the white colored stuff. I did this on my vintage cowhide, which feels much like the washed goat, and it didn't effect the color but did take that "dryness" away. I think the lotion is the one to go with on these.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

As I posted in another thread, I'm now the proud recipient of a washed lambskin. Very nice jacket. I was worried about the color after reading some of the threads but it only has the green tint in certain lighting. Most of the time, it looks very SA. Terrific feeling leather too that has a great drape and looks to distress quite well.

And I'm happy to report that (and thanks again Indiana G for this info) that mine has the correct Raiders sleeve seam to yoke seam configuration.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

crismans wrote:Terrific feeling leather too that has a great drape and looks to distress quite well.
Yes I agree... :wink:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

As for leather, I've always had cow and lamb until recently... goat is by far the best and strongest leather, light and with a lovely organic feel. But if they get the dyeing wrong and if it looks green, that's certainly not the fault of the leather. Goat is Great!
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Got mine. It's wonderful. I gave it some treatment with Pecards. Amazing results. The skin was very dry. Will work on some pictures.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

I'm very curious to see this jacket after a Pecard treatment. :-k
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I'd be very interested to see the jacket after a Pecard's treatment myself.

I wonder what a Lexol (is that right?) treatment would do for it.

Go for it, IndyFalco!! You're the brave one of the bunch.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

You can add me to the list of those who order the washed lamb! I just put my order in yesterday! I can't wait to get it!
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

C'mon with those pictures IndyBrit! :D I'm dying to see what this jacket looks like treated.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

whiskyman wrote:Thanks for the pics - very helpful indeed. I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough as I ordered one by accident last week! I actually only wanted to go through the motions on the order form to find out how much the total would end up coming too, but before I knew it my order was confirmed!!!
I did the EXACT same thing last night. At least now, I don't feel so bad! ;)
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Dr._J wrote: I did the EXACT same thing last night. At least now, I don't feel so bad! ;)
What is wrong with us? :-k :roll:
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Well, this is a hobby where if suddenly 300 dollars disappears from your bank account you aren't worried as long as in a few weeks there is a new leather jacket waiting on your doorstep. :lol:
Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Herr Doktor »

I think it's a safe bet that you can remove Crismans from the list and replace him with me...considering I bought his washed lamb from him via the Cairo Bazaar. ;-)
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Herr Doktor wrote:I think it's a safe bet that you can remove Crismans from the list and replace him with me...considering I bought his washed lamb from him via the Cairo Bazaar. ;-)
Done! ;-) I deleted Whiskyman from the list as he sent back his jacket.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Herr Doktor wrote:I think it's a safe bet that you can remove Crismans from the list and replace him with me...considering I bought his washed lamb from him via the Cairo Bazaar. ;-)
And let me add that I really did like that washed lamb. I just sold it because there was another jacket I wanted to get and I try to keep it under a certain number of jackets. I swear I get tired of myself on these things.

There's always that next jacket... :[
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

;0
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Well, here is a picture of mine:

Oh, wait, I don't have mine yet.... soon though! Very soon! :)
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Hehe... :)
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

ARGH! According to the tracking number Peter gave me, my jacket is being held in customs! And it has been there since the 25th! (6 days!). What is taking so long?!?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

They have to all try it on before sending it on to you, don't cha know? :?

;-)

Regards! Michaelson
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

What is the deal with delivery? I've had 3 jackets delivered from Wested. They've each taken about 4 or 5 days from the date they were sent to arrive in Australia. I've never had an email telling me the jacket has been sent, or received any tracking number. I don't understand why in the US deliveries are sometimes held up for so long by customs, and why you're all getting dispatch emails when I hear nothing until my jacket arrives! Not complaining mind; delivery is very fast once the jacket is completed. Just curious is all.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Well I specifically asked Peter for an update on my jacket, and he then provided a tracking number.

Anyone have any idea how long customs is going to have it? I kind of want it... being my first Indy jacket and all... and it is getting kind of cold... :cry:
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Well my jacket finally left customs! \:D/ Hopefully it will get here tomorrow or Saturday at the latest! :)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

congrats! she looks like a beauty.

but I cant say what hide it is..looks like regular new finish..

need a close up

Holt
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I am not sure how I can get a good close-up... I will try though.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Those compact digital cameras usualy have a macro setting. Just look for a button that has a flower printed next to it. If you use that, you can take close-up pictures of the hide.

Regards, Geert
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

by the pics that i've seen....looks like chrome tanned authentic brown lambskin to me.....washed lamb doesn't have the sheen that i see on yours.......unless you've got a really, really, fresh treatment of pecard on her.

eventhough i hate chrome tanned leather because of how it looks when it is new, i do have a soft spot for wested's AB lambskin.....because it was my first indy jacket hide. i'd buy that again. :)
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Here's what I came up with after using the macro setting:

jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Hmm, overall not too clear. But there are some parts that hide-experts might be able to figure out.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thats not washed lambskin,but it sure is a nice jacket. :)
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Here's a better pic:

If it is not washed lambskin like I ordered, what should I do?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Drop Peter an email and include the pics.

It looks like regular lamb to me.

They may have run out of the washed lamb, but Gemma should have asked you first, if that was the case.

For what it's worth, it looks like a good jacket and it fits well, it certainly would last longer than the washed lamb which seems a little too soft to me. A lot of the shine can be knocked back with wetting and drying that leather. You might try hand washing it... I've machine washed jackets in the past, but that's me!

But before that, talk to Peter and see what can be done.

Peter@wested.com