"Kuffs" Christian Slater

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

"Kuffs" Christian Slater

Post by 3thoubucks »

This film from '92 featured a dead on Indy jacket. DeWayne posted about it in '99, http://indyfan.dnsalias.com/vault/forum ... 27790.html before I knew about Indyfan.com, and I posted about it a year or two later. Only one thing different about this jacket....the CUFFS! The cuffs are stitched a quarter inch back from the end of the cuffs- maybe it's one of Ford's Indy jackets with the sleeves shortened this way for Christian? Scroll down to "KUFFS" http://membres.lycos.fr/issla/index_2.html No really convincing pics here..I guess you have to rent the movie! :roll:
HJJr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HJJr »

Curious to see the coat, but not willing to watch Slater.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

It's at least simalar. From those pics I can't really tell. there isn't a GOOD shot of the back. The leather looks kind of thin or something. It's not a real good Indy brown color though it may just be the lighting. Everyone knows how lighting affacts the color on these jackets...
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I remember this discussion years ago... I believe Wested did make this jacket. It wasn't brown, but an aged charcoal, as I remember. It's obviously based on Wested's Indy patterns, but perhaps the cuffs were just a modification.

Kind regards,
Indy
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

HAHAHAHAAHA!!!

How's this for a bump? I'm watching this steaming dung heap ( Kuffs ) right now and yup, it's a black or dark grey Indy. I had to do a quick search, so's not to accidentaly start a new thread. Okay, now to find something - ANYTHING - else to watch.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Actually since its bumped you should see the movie pump up the volume, in this movie Slater appears to be wearing an Indy jacket too at the end!
IndianaGeo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Slater

Post by IndianaGeo »

The fact that Slater wears an Indy Jacket has just knocked down the whole "personality"and "character" if you will of the jacket for me. I´m sort of half joking here. But, does anyone have any pills to make me feel better about this?? I can´t stand Slater. How he ever got to Hollywood is beyond my comprehension.
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Cassidy »

Careful now...this is about the jacket, not the actor.

With it on DVD are there any better screen grabs?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

wow...talk about bumb...much time on your hands lately :lol:

lets keep this about the jacket guys..

here are some pictures of it.

reminds me very much of a LC jacket.

bigger collar.lower yolk.pockets kinda are LC.wider sleeves.no snaps and weird straps though..

but I love the look of it..very cool to see a jacket like that worn in a casual way..street wear I mean...

bests
Holt
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Yes, very LC!! :wink:
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

You guys missed the striped lining. I can't believe I remember that since I haven't seen it in fifteen years or so. I'm pretty sure it's the same jacket in Kuffs and Pump Up the Volume.

Slater made some pretty good movies back in the day, not Kuffs though(except for Milla Jovovich :twisted: ). I actually liked Pump Up The Volume but haven't seen it since it came out.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Didn't there used to be a member named "slater" :shock:

Doug C
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Kittlemeier wrote:I actually liked Pump Up The Volume but haven't seen it since it came out.
Good movie and a great soundtrack, "Wave of Mutilation" from The Pixies and the Concrete Blonde cover of "Everybody Knows" are on my ipod. :D
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

Tennessee Smith wrote: Good movie and a great soundtrack, "Wave of Mutilation" from The Pixies and the Concrete Blonde cover of "Everybody Knows" are on my ipod. :D
I love that slow version of WoM, although I gotta go with Leonard Cohen for EK, which I guess is screen accurate, huh?
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kittlemeier wrote:I gotta go with Leonard Cohen for EK, which I guess is screen accurate, huh?
Definitely, that bothered me when I got it, way back when, because his version is the one on screen, but CB still did a good job ...and to be quite fair Henry Rollins does a great job covering Blue Oyster Cults "Kick out the Jams."

...yeah as I said, a great CD.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Slater 'got into Hollywood' because his mother is Mary Jo Slater, Hollywood casting agent. He's been in the Hollywood system from birth. He got all of his early jobs based on his mothers connections. Talk about a foot in the door.

When Michael Lehmann, the director of "Heathers" was getting ready to cast the movie he wanted a young Jack Nicholson so he was guided to Slater who had been imitating Nicholson since he was a kid.

That jacket is definitely Last Crusade. The collar is identical.
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

DUDES!!!

Post by Ravenswood »

WHERE has THIS posting been all my life!!! :lol:
I saw that movie and I was like HEEYY!!!!! WHERE'D HE GET THAT!!! LOL!
OK, *reading up*
THIS is gonna be a JOY!
Holt
Craftsman

Re: DUDES!!!

Post by Holt »

Ravenswood wrote:WHERE has THIS posting been all my life!!! :lol:
I saw that movie and I was like HEEYY!!!!! WHERE'D HE GET THAT!!! LOL!
OK, *reading up*
THIS is gonna be a JOY!
are you doing peanut-jeff dunham impressions my friend :lol:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

That jacket looks cool. Great to see it worn with "normal" gear. Thanks Holt.

No one would argue that Slater is Marlon Brando - but it is very easy to be critical of actors. There are heaps worse that Slater. Remember they come in and out of fashion. In X years Slater may be considered al la mode again. Look what happened to Travolta. For ages he coudln't get arrested... then came Pulp Fiction. And no, before anyone says it... I'm not comparing Slater to Travolta - it's just an example.
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

I can't believe that I'm going to be watching this movie again....I never noticed the jacket the first time around. All I remember was looking at my watch and wondering how much longer the movie was actually going to be. Now I have to go back and check it out just for the jacket! Thanks guys!
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Because of Kuffs, I still sign all of my flowers "hugs and Kisses in all your...:wink:

My wife doesn't get that its my own inside movie joke.

I swear I never realized he was wearing an Indy Jacket. :roll:
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

If we are looking at a Wested in Kuffs (and I believe we are), I believe it pre-dates Last Crusade from a construction standpoint. I really like the look of this jacket. To save you some time, start the movie about 27 minutes in. Pump Up The Volume was made two years earlier but I think it is a different jacket. You do not get a good look at it for long in that movie though. You will definitely want to start Pump Up The Volume at 1:26:45 to prevent permanent eye damage. That is when the jacket makes the first appearance.

Indiana Holt - the "weird" side straps you mention are because they are D-rings, but the main strap is attached on the back panel of the jacket rather than the side and for most of the movie the straps are hanging loose. Definitely no X-box stitching.

Striped lining and inside leather pocket facing is clearly visible.

I still think that the jacket looks brown, but that is just me, I guess. I have many outdoor shots of this jacket and it looks a lot like my Wested cowhide. The indoor shots under fluorescent lights make the jacket look black/dark gray.

Oh, and there is no sleeve stitching. It is an illusion.

Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Yeah, i was thinking it looked kind of brown also, but wasn't going to say anything. We know how that goes. ;) :lol: It looks like it's got a "reinforced" inner pocket, but I'm not certain about that. It doesn't look like the scalped reinforcing though. Just kind of straight. About an extra half inch of leather. below the pocket.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thanx for sharing.

now I know why the straps looked all wrong...they are reversed.

and this jacket is ohso LC :wink:

Holt
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

rick5150 wrote: Definitely no X-box stitching.
Or PS3 or Wii, or even DS or PSP.. :lol:
2-1B
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by 2-1B »

I sincerely apologize for posting in this thread three years after it started...but I was excited to see the thread.

When I saw Pump Up the Volume back in 1990, I thought I was the only person in the world who recognized the jacket Slater was wearing. Not surprising, I felt the same way in Kuffs in 1992.

I should have guessed that I was not alone.
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

You guys are going to feel bad about making fun of Christian Slater when one of the members here finally comes out and reveals their identity as being none other than Slater himself...come to think of it, maybe HE is the celebrity Steve made an AB for too. :lol:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zach R. wrote:You guys are going to feel bad about making fun of Christian Slater when one of the members here finally comes out and reveals their identity as being none other than Slater himself...come to think of it, maybe HE is the celebrity Steve made an AB for too. :lol:
Zach R...are you ...NPH...!?!?!?!? :shock: :wink: :lol:
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Tennessee Smith wrote:
Zach R. wrote:You guys are going to feel bad about making fun of Christian Slater when one of the members here finally comes out and reveals their identity as being none other than Slater himself...come to think of it, maybe HE is the celebrity Steve made an AB for too. :lol:
Zach R...are you ...NPH...!?!?!?!? :shock: :wink: :lol:
8-[
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

I liked both kuffs and pump up the volume. Then again I like howard the duck, hudson hawk, remo williams, ford fairlane, and the star wars prequels. so dont go by me.