Gus whip now almost 2 years old New Pics

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Gus whip now almost 2 years old New Pics

Post by scot2525 »

I recieved my Gus Caicedo custom 8' 12 plait w/ extra belly in natural tan cowhide whip yesterday. I haven't had it long enough to make any long term evaluation of it but can say that it looks fantastic and seems it will perform very well for a whip under $240.00 shipped in the USA. I am very pleased to say I own this whip. It is much better than a few other whips I have owned or considered purchasing. Here are a few photos.

Last edited by scot2525 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Sweet, Gus! That whip really looks great, scot2525! I'd imagine that third belly in there really gives this cowhide some beef (pun intended!) ;-). I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it!!!

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
TurnerME
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TurnerME »

That is a fantastic looking whip. I talked to Gus today and it sounds you have a superb piece. Way to go and for the money I think you made out like a bandit.
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

I agree - it's good to know that there are guys out there who make quality products for a price
that doesn't kill the pocketbook. Congrats, scot2525! :junior:
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Gus whip now almost 2 years old New Pics

Post by scot2525 »

Thought I would post some pics as to how my Gus Caicedo whip is holding up. It is definetly due for a coat of pecards but it is holding up very well. I need to get out more with it and use it. Still very pleased with this purchase.

ImageImage
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

Nice! my Caicedo should be here very soon, like end of the week soon. Gus is a real stand up guy, and a great whip plaiter. I can't wait! Than again, I guess you already know this. The whip does look beefy and looks like it has held up well, how often do you crack that thing?
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Good looking whip, I purchased a whip from Gus about the same time as you did, he does a great service to us providing a great whip. Mine looks almost identical to yours, Pecards really helps to bring it alive.

Regards,

Soup
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

I don't think I used it at all in 2009. :shock: Was very busy from March- October of last year as the company I worked for went out of business and I was working 60-80 hours a week for 3 months during the liquidation and then turned around and was really fortunate to land a new job immediately and worked 50-60 hours week getting the new company up and running. This spring I have had an oppurtunity to take it out every nice weekend for 20-30 minute cracking sessions.
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

Happy about the new jod thing, and about you pickin' it up again. Ya, seems like life has evened out for you. :whip:
Last edited by John Vaughan on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Glad things have smoothed out for you,
The cool thing about a whip is that it will always be there "waiting" to be cracked! ;)

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

Just got the Email, My new Ceicedo 8' 12 plait is done! \:D/ He sent me pics and she looks beautifull. The neighbors are going to love me, LOL :whip:
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

Figured I'd give ya an update. The whip is here, has been for a little over a week. This thing cracks with little to no effort at all. I've been going at it about an hour or so a day, and the more I crack it the more I love it. I work 10 hour days and have found that this whip is the best wind down after work a machinist like me could want. I've only hit myself twice :oops: Other than that my shoulders feel kinda sore. Maybe I'll post a few pics in a few years and we can compare! :TOH: That is if I ever figure out how to post a pic here, I'll work on that :P

Peace

John
firefighterfrump
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by firefighterfrump »

hello everybody i also own one of gusses whips mine is an 8ft 12 plait with a 10 inch handle but it has the 8 inch diamond braid for the handle it is amazing i love it it cracks perfectly gus is a great guy so anybody looking for a good whip maker who wont break your bank talk to gus he is your man
Gaucho
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gaucho »

Scot

I was surprised with the small variation of coloration.

The plait still sufficiently firm and strong.

Kind regards.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Looking good

Kyle