Fixing a bad dye job. HELP!

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Fixing a bad dye job. HELP!

Post by agent5 »

I dyed my LK holster a little to dark for my taste. It is mostly a dark brown now. My question is how do I now lighten it up? Please help. I'm already sick of looking at the wrong color.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Fixing a bad dye job. HELP!

Post by Rabittooth »

agent5 wrote:I dyed my LK holster a little to dark for my taste. It is mostly a dark brown now. My question is how do I now lighten it up? Please help. I'm already sick of looking at the wrong color.
Wouldn't acetone do it? Thats whats been taking dye offa leather for MK and his followers into disstressdom (myself included) for quite a while. :D

-Rabittooth
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I got some stuff called Preparer and it is mostly made of Acetone. The guy at the leather shop said it should work. What he didn't tell me at first was that the dye goes a long way. A couple of spots really got dark and others look great. I was able to buff out alot of the really dark spots but the remaining ones have to go. I rubbed on the Preparer and it seemed not to do too much on the darker spots. I'm just wondering if there is something I can put on to add a lightershade to the darker areas.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

PROBLEM SOLVED :D
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

agent5 wrote:PROBLEM SOLVED :D
How so? Did you find something else to use?
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

agent5 wrote:PROBLEM SOLVED :D
Yeah...please share the tale 5...I'm about to take the same plunge with the holster and the Aldens. Details please!! :D

-Rabittooth
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I sprayed it with leather spray. The color is Mahogany (sp?) and it's a real nice brown with just the SLIGHTEST bit of red. There were probably more than one holster too if you look closely at pics and two slightly different colors at least in my opinion. After spraying it it looked like something that was spray-painted and didn't look too nice. I put some Pecards on and let it sit a couple of days. The color improved going slightly darker. Then I took some sandpaper and very carefully scuffed up the right areas. Looked better. Then I took some talc powder and rubbed it in real good. Even sanded some of it in, rubbed off the excess and it is done. Looks well worn and gritty. I think Rab, you'd be proud. Pics to come hopefully next week of the revamped gear and reblocked PB. :D