adding weight to a toy gun?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Switch625
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

adding weight to a toy gun?

Post by Switch625 »

I'm using one of those dollar store plastic toy guns because I can't see dropping $50 on an Airsoft that could easily be mistaken for a real gun that I'd be afraid to take out into public. Anyway, the toy gun is good enough, but it's very light. Is there anything I can do to give it some weight or to make it a bit more solid?
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

It would depend on the gun, but you may be able to use "liquid lead" from a hardware store. It would probably cause the gun to crack though. That's all I can think of.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

change the gravitational constant around the gun :wink:

in all seriousness, i've handled many plastic models before they were illegal in canada. the way they added the weight to them was to install a block of metal behind the grips of the gun (inside) so it was balance and weighted nicely. i don't know if you can remove your gun grips to do that. if you can't, find jean luc pecard and see if you can get him to make contact with the Q continuum :D
Switch625
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Switch625 »

I can do that. Jean-Luc owes me a favor. :wink:
Indiana C
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana C »

If you can open it up you can pour some Elmers carpenter or just white glue in both sides and then place some lead shot from an opened shotgun shell or some plain old BB's in the glue and let it dry (I recomend after it has dried to cover them with a little more glue so some of them don't come loose and rattle). I did this on the Jack Sparrow toy flintlock and it put some good weight to it.
BOINKFFD
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by BOINKFFD »

I added some lead shot to my Fertility Idol to make it heavier. Drilled into the resin and dropped some 5 min. epoxy then the shot into the chambers. It is very solid and has the weight.

You can pick up the shot from a gun store or dive shop.