Hat with Shirts / colors

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

senkusha
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Hat with Shirts / colors

Post by senkusha »

Obviously, a Tee shirt I don't think would go good with a Fedora, regardless of the color combination. I do think button up shirts probably go best with a fedora, but what colors do and don't go together. I've heard that grey goes with just about anything.

Thanks.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Just about. It all depends on your color preference. I bought a grey fedora so I can wear a fedora even when I wasn't wearing Earthy tones. Black would be a good fedora color to go with as well becasue it matches with just about every other color.

Dave
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

This link provides some food for thought on matching colors of hats with shirts, suits, etc.:
http://www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatcolor.html

best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I would say the brown would go with most colors too. I've worn my deck shoes(summer) cowboyboots(fall/winter) which are brown with jeans and polo shirts all my adult life.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I think it depends on the gray. A sea plane Indy hat has a brownish undertone, for example. It goes with more colors. But a very blue gray or dark steel gray might provide fewer options.

A medium or light brown is probably the most versatile hat color ever. It goes with blues, browns, tans, greens, and sometimes even black.

Of course, the rules of color are also governed by taste and the variables of shade, undertones, and accessories (belts, ties, shoes, etc). If you only have one hat, I say make it brown (unless you mostly wear grays and blacks). If you only own two hats, make it brown and granite gray. You will rarely find yourself wearing colors that won't work with at least one of those two.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Hat with Shirts / colors

Post by Mulceber »

senkusha wrote:Obviously, a Tee shirt I don't think would go good with a Fedora, regardless of the color combination.
I completely disagree. Check out this pic of me with a fedora and T-shirt -

I've had many people compliment me on how nice my hat looks while I was wearing t-shirts and the like. I think the trick is to make sure the pants match the fedora (give them an earth tone like khaki, brown or olive) and then wear any color shirt you like. :junior: -M
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Hat with Shirts / colors

Post by Zombie Jones »

Mulceber wrote:
senkusha wrote:Obviously, a Tee shirt I don't think would go good with a Fedora, regardless of the color combination.
I completely disagree. Check out this pic of me with a fedora and T-shirt -

I've had many people compliment me on how nice my hat looks while I was wearing t-shirts and the like. I think the trick is to make sure the pants match the fedora (give them an earth tone like khaki, brown or olive) and then wear any color shirt you like. :junior: -M
Yes, but you're wearing a button-up collared shirt over the tee shirt; I think Senkusha was referring to wearing a Fedora with a tee shirt only.

I wear my Fed IV with tee shirts, and I don't think it looks any better or worse than wearing a cowboy hat with a tee shirt. But I also think it depends on the color of the tee shirt and/or any graphics on the shirt. Most of my tee shirts are black, light grey, or white, and I think they look okay with a brown Fedora...of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I'm just saying one shouldn't rule out t-shirts. I've also worn a fedora with out the button up collared shirt at all, and it doesn't look half bad either. :junior: -M
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Myself could not wear a fedora with anything but a button down shirt. Bottom line, wear it whatever way you want and don't care what others think. It has worked for me for many years. :D
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Mulceber wrote:I'm just saying one shouldn't rule out t-shirts. I've also worn a fedora with out the button up collared shirt at all, and it doesn't look half bad either. :junior: -M
Please don't take this as an attack, as it is not, but I feel that I must say this. A t-shirt without the button up over it, combined with a fedora, not only looks bad. It is a sartorial no-no in the extreme. Unless you are just hanging in your back yard, or working outside with the hat as head protection, I find the thought of it... well... terrifying. I know people do it, and it is a free country. But it only serves as an example of what is wrong with fashion sense today. It's like wearing sneakers with a suit.

Sorry. I feel strongly about that. But not strongly enough to make it personal, Mulceber. Do not take it that way, please.

That said, I like the combination you have going on in that photo. THAT is how you make a fedora do casual duty!
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

I agree with Chewbacca. I think you have to own the hat and not let the hat own you. If you wear a dress shirt, a fedora completes the look.

Vegeta (I think that's his screen name) posted a pic of himself around page 7 of the Fed IV picture thread. His shirt goes WELL with his fedora. His hat doesn't stand out by itself, instead it completes the look.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:It's like wearing sneakers with a suit.

;)

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Just 'cuz he's a British time traveler don't make 'im right.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:Just 'cuz he's a British time traveler don't make 'im right.
No, to be honest, I really think being a British time traveler DOES make him right. :wink: :junior: -M
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
Mulceber wrote:I'm just saying one shouldn't rule out t-shirts. I've also worn a fedora with out the button up collared shirt at all, and it doesn't look half bad either. :junior: -M
Please don't take this as an attack, as it is not, but I feel that I must say this. A t-shirt without the button up over it, combined with a fedora, not only looks bad. It is a sartorial no-no in the extreme.
Wow, I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever read or heard the words "t-shirt" and "sartorial" in the same conversation. :mrgreen:

I agree that a button-up shirt would look better with a classic style "dress" fedora. But IMO an Indy style fedora is more of a casual hat, again, similar to a cowboy hat that has seen it's share of labor (especially if your Indy style fedora is well-worn and/or weathered).

This thread is a terrific example of why I enjoy forums like this--the exchange of opinions, thoughts, ideas, and such. I appreciate and respect the opinions of others, and conversations such as this have quite often allowed me to expand or alter my viewpoint on any given subject. The world would be a rather boring place if everyone agreed on everything.

I don't think I'll ever understand the whole "wear your pants with your backside exposed" thing though... [-(
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

very diverse tastes in wardrobe here....and you know who's right?......everyone! :lol:

its all personal preference. i sometimes wear my fed with a t-shirt....but if i'm doing that then you know its just waaaaay too hot (like today). i wear my fedora becuase i usually wear my fedora......and when i pair it up with a t-shirt, its more circumstantial or weather dependent more than fashion oriented.

i prefer the button down shirt and leather jacket with my fed.....it mix's like peanut butter and jelly......but you can't wear that all year round :cry:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

...or for most of the year here in South Florida. We generally get about a two weeks of cold weather a year and at that it normally doesn't drop lower than 50 degrees Farenheit. I love to wear a leather jacket with my fedoras, but it just doesn't happen to often. I normally will do a lightweight wool or cotton jacket with a polo or button-down shirt, with the sleeves rolled up.

Dave
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

Zombie Jones wrote:But IMO an Indy style fedora is more of a casual hat, again, similar to a cowboy hat that has seen it's share of labor (especially if your Indy style fedora is well-worn and/or weathered).
I don't see that. If you have a hat covered in Fuller's Earth, maybe, but then again Indiana Jones wore button down, long-sleeve shirts with his hats. With the ribbon and everything, I think a fedora is a dress hat compared to the cowboy hats you're talking about.

Casual today means no hat at all. Wearing a fedora is a bit more than casual today.
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

If I'm just kicking around the homestead (yardwork, grilling, whatever), I'll wear my fed with a (usually dark) t-shirt, but if I decide to head into town I'll usually swap it for my flat cap. Guess I figure I don't look "presentable" with the fedora/t-shirt combination. It's all a matter of personal taste, I reckon, and whether you consider a fedora to be a "costume" piece or a functional piece of headgear and a staple of your wardrobe.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Indiana G wrote:i prefer the button down shirt and leather jacket with my fed.....it mix's like peanut butter and jelly......but you can't wear that all year round :cry:
Personally speaking, I like to wear peanut butter and jelly whenever the mood takes me. :D

About 12 years ago, I wore my fedora in Tunisia with a dark green t-shirt and khaki pants. I think that looked okay.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Zombie Jones wrote: Wow, I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever read or heard the words "t-shirt" and "sartorial" in the same conversation. :mrgreen:

I agree that a button-up shirt would look better with a classic style "dress" fedora. But IMO an Indy style fedora is more of a casual hat, again, similar to a cowboy hat that has seen it's share of labor (especially if your Indy style fedora is well-worn and/or weathered).

This thread is a terrific example of why I enjoy forums like this--the exchange of opinions, thoughts, ideas, and such. I appreciate and respect the opinions of others, and conversations such as this have quite often allowed me to expand or alter my viewpoint on any given subject. The world would be a rather boring place if everyone agreed on everything.

I don't think I'll ever understand the whole "wear your pants with your backside exposed" thing though... [-(
That may be only the second time I've ever written "sartorial" to top it off!

I have to agree with everything you said about the "exchange of opinions" and all. In that spirit, I have disagree with the idea that an Indy hat isn't "dressy." I think Aggie's point about how you keep the hat (artificial or real distressing) is important in making it a casual hat, or a really casual hat. Mine isn't even dusty! Trust me, it might not be "dressy" all by itself, but there's only so casual a spotless fedora can ever get.

To be honest, if a cowboy hat is in clean, like-new condition, it seems out of place with just a t-shirt, to me, as well. Except those tightly rolled ones. They look casual right out of the box.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Indiana G wrote: i sometimes wear my fed with a t-shirt....but if i'm doing that then you know its just waaaaay too hot (like today).
Dude, if it's too hot to wear a button down short sleeve shirt, it's too hot to wear a felt hat. :shock: Buy a straw! Your brain cells with thank you... and maybe you'll stop panting. :wink:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Buy a straw? :lol:

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Ssssllurrrrp!