OT - Beretta Question

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

OT - Beretta Question

Post by Gater »

Not Robert Blake, but the Px4

I am currently in the process of trading in my private eye license for a Federal Agent badge, and in the exchange, I will be issued a Beretta Px4 9mm.

Anybody here familiar with this side-arm? What are the pros and cons and characteristics of it?

apreciate feedback.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

No idea on that weapon...
I had a 92FS years ago that would do more harm past 25 nfeet if thrown than trying to actually shoot it!

I traded-up to a Sig P226 and couldn't be happier (as far as I know anyway).

Sorry this is not much help to you...

Congratulations by the way! 8)
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Sorry, Gater. My answer is pretty much the same as J!m's. I carried a 92 FS for several years, probably half of my career. I don't know anything about the model you are talking about.

I was issued two different Beretta 92FS during that time. On the first, I would agree with J!m's assessment. I always struggled with the accuracy. I still shot very well mind you, I just struggled to do it. The second one that I was issued was a different story. It was a breeze to qualify master every time. Master is a score between 99-100.

Master 99-100
Expert 95-98
Marksman 85-94
Sharpshooter 75-84

The State of Maryland says that 70-84 is Sharpshooter, but our department requires at least 75. As a side note, Beretta's US factory is in the County that I worked in.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

I should have added that- mine was an Italian made model, NOT the US made model. I was expecting good things from it, but it just wasn't happening... :(

I never tried the US made model- it might very well be a better waeppon, or you got a really good one, and I got a really bad one! It is production, and there are tolerances. Mine wa obviously a Friday afternoon or Monday morning model. :D
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I really didn't like my first one and like I said, I struggled with it. The second one was great. Luck of the draw I guess.

It is too bad that my department changed their policy right before I retired. You used to be able to buy your weapon for a rediculously low price of like fifty bucks. I would have loved to have purchased that second Beretta that I had. If you didn't purchase your weapon, they used to get rid of them to a gun wholesaler. Now, purchasing is not an option and when you leave, they destroy the gun. They issue new weapons. The thinking is that they don't want their guns to ever end up on the street in the wrong hands. Too bad, I would have loved to have bought that gun for next to nothing.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

When I was in Florida, the practice was to retire the officer with his badge, uniform, AND his last issued side arm.

Just before I left, they started issuing the Beretta 92, and you wouldn't BELIEVE all the old timers who suddenly decided to turn in their Smith model 27's to be qualified for the new Beretta. They'd qualify, then put in their retirement papers.

Once retired, they'd turn around and sell the brand new Beretta to a sheriff's deputy for $500 (a great price at the time, and the old FHP officers considered it a 'perk' at retirement.) The armoror was beating his head against the wall, as he had more Beretta's going out the door with retiree's than he was putting the the holster of new recruits! :?

Regards! Michaelson
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

It used to be said that when you retired, they gave you a cheap, gold watch. I had to laugh, one of the choices on my department after you had been there either 20 or25 years, was a cheap, gold watchband. :rolling: They just gave you the watchband. I guess they expected you to buy your own cheap, gold watch.
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

thanks for the replies, guys - here's what info I could scrape up --

Unlike the Beretta 92/96/M9 series, the Px4's trigger guard is rounded for better concealed carry. The takedown pin of earlier models is replaced by a spring-loaded bar, accessed via frame recesses at both ends, which must be grasped and pulled down simultaneously to release the slide. The slide spring is doubly captive, being inserted approximately an inch into the transfer block at one end and a receiving hole in the front of the slide at the other. It is a self-contained assembly, completely captured by the polymer guide. The magazine holds the top round directly behind the barrel's breech end so only a slight feed ramp is needed. This allows the barrel to fully support the case. The 6-R rifling of the barrel generates counter-clockwise torque which is harnessed by the locking system to reduce the amount of pressure on the rotating barrel lock's cam and pin system when unlocking. The steel transfer block's cam pin is 5mm wide and 2mm deep. The entire hammer unit mechanism can be removed from the Px4, without the use of special tools, as a single group. This allows easy access to the firing mechanism for cleaning. The Px4's design makes it impossible to assemble incorrectly from a field-stripped takedown.

The Px4 features an interchangeable, luminescent 3-dot sight system (coated in Super-LumiNova) for use in dark or low-light situations. With short exposure to any kind of light, the night sights' luminescence lasts up to 30 minutes. The weapon also incorporates a Picatinny rail under the muzzle to allow flashlights, laser sights and other accessories to be attached.
GraveRobberGreg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GraveRobberGreg »

px4...is this the new STORM model? I have heard all good things if it the same gun.

They stopped making the 9000s model for compacts and replaced it with the storm. They also make a full size which i think is the px4.

I carry a 9000s 40 cal and a sig p239. You can never have too many gun :)

I hope this helps
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

Greg,

yeah, it is the 'Storm'. It comes in a varity of calibres, including 45 ACP, 40 cal., and 9mm. The Canadian issue is the 9mm with a 17 round magazine. Am looking forward to playing with it!
GraveRobberGreg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GraveRobberGreg »

Its a nice gun...almost bought one. Good luck with that.
Wisconsin Platt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Wisconsin Platt »

Pros:
Rotating barrel mechanism dampens torque and recoil, making it more controllable in larger calibers like .40 and .45ACP. Not a big deal in 9mm.
Polymer frame has interchangeable grip panels, is extremely durable, and relatively non-stressed.
Trigger is improved over the Beretta 92FS, which makes it easier for people to shoot well compared to the 92.
Typical Beretta pros like chrome lined barrel, smooth action from factory break-in procedure (1000 cycles of the slide in an oil bath during assembly).

Cons:
Magazines are not interchangeable with Beretta 92 or the New 90-2, so they are relatively expensive and no aftermarkets exist.
Finding good leather, especially a duty rig, is somewhat more difficult as the model has only been out a few years.
Not as easy to reassemble as the 92.
Super Luminova sights are a gimmick and do not replace tritium night sights for duty/defense use.

Conclusion:
Well designed, rugged pistol. Get a good set of tritium night sights if you intend to use it effectively in the dark, and, as with all Berettas, oil it well.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Wisconsin Platt wrote:Trigger is improved over the Beretta 92FS, which makes it easier for people to shoot well compared to the 92.
This is most likely the area of difference in my two 92FS that were issued to me. The second one probably had a smoother trigger pull. Like I said, just luck of the draw on the second one.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

The trigger was not the reason in my case...

Over a decent string (10-shot minimum) if you have a trigger isue, it is very easy to detect on the target. Normally, a 'streak' is apparent acros the target from one corner to the other.

with a shotgun blast pattern (totally random) it indicates a lock-up or some other problem keeping the barrel from re-seating in exactly the same place every time.
Wisconsin Platt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Wisconsin Platt »

The trigger on 92s has a "dead zone" after the initial take up and before the trigger breaks which really throws people (myself included). I've worked in firearms sales and always dreaded shooting the 92FS in demos or for people who complained "this dang thing doesn't shoot straight." Although I've learned to shoot one relatively well, I have to concentrate much harder when firing it than I do with a CZ-75 or 1911 or just about any modern pistol.

That "shotgun blast pattern" sounds like a definite mechanical problem.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

I thought it was me for the longest time, but I only shake like that after a major Crack bender... :D