Raw versus Bound?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

senkusha
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Raw versus Bound?

Post by senkusha »

I was looking at Adventurebilt's website and noticed on the Deluxe version I have the option of having a Raw edge or a Bound edge. What's the difference?

While on the subject, what's the difference between the Deluxe version and the regular version?

Thanks!
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

A bound edge means that ribbon is bound to the edge of the brim. Makes for a dressier hat. Looks really good on an adventurebilt. And I honestly don't know what the difference between Regular and Deluxe anymore. I think I did at one point, but I try not to think of them as I don't want to drool over something I can't afford :lol:

-KB :)
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

This is a beauuuuutiful AB Deluxe that Marc Made for Kaplan Jr., which has a bound brim.

The Deluxe and the Regular AB are different in that the Deluxe is made from higher end materials, including a kangaroo hide sweatband.

Shane
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Having seen both a deluxe and regular AB side by side, I can say that the deluxe is made of better materials (if that can be imagined). However, since the AB standard is already made of nearly the best money can buy, if you live in the US, I don't find the extra expense worth it. But if price is no issue, or you live on the same continent as the Deluxe, it is worth getting.

As for the bound edge, I prefer them over raw. But as an Indy hat, clearly it's not what one would want for screen accuracy. Now, on a cheap hat, the bound edge pretty much holds the brim together! But on an AB, it's just decoration (as it should be). I find that I also like the almost microscopic effect that the bound edge has on the brim shape. Don't ask me to explain. I can't. I just see a difference.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

microscopic effect

Post by YARVTON »

And if the binding is a different color than the felt, the effect can be much more than "microscopic" -- but in a very good way.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I ordered a AB Dlx with raw edge. While the bound looks nice, it doesn't look Indy to me.
Harry Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

bound edge

Post by Harry Jones »

Although not screen acurate, I like the bound edge look. This is an early pic (I seem to play with the shape, pinch, etc. about once a year or more) of a Beaver Brand hat made for The Man's Hat Shop in Albequerqe, NM. [img=http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8148/dscn03972le6.th.jpg]
Last edited by Harry Jones on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I think you need to put that pic on a hosting site like photobucket before you can show it here. Just typing in the file name on your computer won't do the trick. :junior: -M
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

While I prefer the raw edge look, IMO the bound edge looks okay if the binding matches the color of the hat rather than the color of the hatband (providing the hatband is a different color than the hat, of course).
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

I don't know, I rather liked the hat Marc showed us. I never saw a hat on wich the bound brim matched the ribbon, and I liked the way it looked. It may not be Indy, but it gives the hat a classy look IMO.

Regards, Geert
Harry Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

bound edge

Post by Harry Jones »

[img=http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9729/dscn0395th9.th.jpg]
[img=http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8148/dscn03972le6.th.jpg]
Please excuse my ineptitude. Here is another try at sharing a couple of pictures of my bound edge brim hat. HJ
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

I like a bound edge too, here's my Hoosier and my Artlite.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Nice ribbon work on that lid, Harry.

Here's my first custom hat. The ribbon and edge don't match, but neither match the felt, either.

And here's one that has an edge binding that matches the ribbon.