What else do you need to reblock a hat...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

What else do you need to reblock a hat...

Post by Aggie »

Besides the hat block?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

A hat! :lol:

Though some people have their own tricks on how they like to reblock a hat, when I do so, I remove everything, including the sweatband. (Some folks will reblock a hat with the sweat still in, but this generally requires a block one size smaller to account for the sweatband.)

Here's what I have on hand when I do a reblock:

The hat!
hat block
cord used to keep the hat on the block at the brim break
iron and ironing cloth (a white t-shirt works for me)
spray bottle
hat flange
needle and thread to reattach the sweat and ribbon

After I disassemble the hat, I soak it completely (and wait a while for the water to totally soak through) then I stretch the hat over the hat block. When I'm sure the hat is all the way on the block smooth and tight, I tie the cord around the brim break tightly to keep the hat from rising up the block as it dries.

I usually leave the hat on the block for a couple days, but definitely wait until it's dry. I use the spray bottle to spray cold water on the hat, and with the cloth over it, I iron the hat on the block. The heat helps tighten up the hat to the block. Sometimes after I iron, I'll leave it sit a while.

When ready, I carefully remove the hat from the block, resew in the sweat and ribbon, and then I iron the brim on the brim flange (always ironing with the cloth over the felt. When done, I crease the hat and wear it! :wink:
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

Thanks! So what do you use for a cord? Also, do you submerge the hat? How often do you reblock it?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

As for a cord, I use a bit of thin nylon rope. Something similar should work fine.

Yes, I totally submerge the hat when I do a reblock, but some do dry reblocks by putting the dry hat on the block, spraying it down on the block, and ironing it. I only reblock a hat when needed, not on any set schedule.