Ordering a carbon grey Federation

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Ordering a carbon grey Federation

Post by Aggie »

I'm going to order a carbon grey fed in the next few weeks. My plan is to measure my head an inch above my brows (should be about 57.5 cm) and e-mail that to Hats Direct. But I also want to give this hat a Raiders turn, so I'm assuming that they will have to find a hat that's a little larger than my measurement, correct? About how much larger?

Also, I've read something about the brim porportions being different for different hat sizes. Could someone elaborate please? I think I have an idea of what that means.

Thanks!
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Basically, the larger the hat, the bigger the brim tends to be in order for it to be in proper proportion to the overall hat.

Alot of folks used to swear by the specs that were always believed to be the exact ones on HF's hat. (I think it was around 2 3/4" based on screen shots and heresay.)

The problem is that those sizes don't always work with every size hat.
If a hat is too small, the brim will look too big.
If the hat's much bigger, the brim, at that size may look too small.
(Have I confused you yet? :wink: )

The best thing do do is order the hat in your size.
(Measure your head in CM's and use that to order. If you're in between, round up.)

Put the hat on your head and wear it a bit. If you decide the brim is too big, its not that hard to trim.

Dalexs
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

Thanks. My hat size is pretty close to Harrison Ford's, so would the porportion look about right then on the Fed?
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Personally, I can't really say (I wear a bigger size then him.)
The original Fed was built to the specs closest to what was seen on screen, so in theory, yes.

But the design has undergone a few minor mods over the years.
So the only way to know is to get one.

Search around for anyone else wearing your size and check out pics.

Check this thread out.
Michaelson gives a brief history of the hat and what specs were used.
viewtopic.php?p=321180#321180
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Ford's hat size

Post by YARVTON »

As I recall, HF's hat size is 58.5.
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

About how much bigger does the Fed need to be in order to turn it?
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

how much bigger?

Post by YARVTON »

Ron at HatsDirect would surely have the answer.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

I wasn't under the impreesion you actualy needed to go a different size.
Just turn the hat off enter before you bash it.

Keep in mind that the Feds have a dimenional cut on the brim. So if you turn it, you'e going to have a mis-shapened brim.
(But I guess thats the whole point of theturn, isn't it.)
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

Yeah, that's what I like about the turn. I was thinking that the hat would need to be a little bit bigger because turning the oval opening would make it a tighter fit. Is that correct?
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

a different size

Post by YARVTON »

Possible to need a different size since this Fed IV is smaller than the Fed III. Not sure how the new measurement actually breaks down into inches-around-head.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Aggie wrote:Yeah, that's what I like about the turn. I was thinking that the hat would need to be a little bit bigger because turning the oval opening would make it a tighter fit. Is that correct?
I'm certainly not an expert in this area, but it's always been my understanding that it's this "tightness" that gives the Raiders brim its unusual shape. It may prove to be a bit more uncomfortable than wearing the hat normally but such are the sacrifices for SA. :lol:

Of course, all of this may be wrong. :wink:
FtrPlt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by FtrPlt »

You'll like the carbon grey. I've had mine for about a month or so.
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

Interesting point, crismans. But I'm guessing I'll have to order the hat a little larger than my head so it's not too uncomfortable to turn it.

FtrPlt, got any pics?
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

Just order your normal size. Though it might feel tight at first, the sweatband will eventually conform to the shape of your head. But the looser the fit, the less effective the turn will be. The fact that your head is distorting the shape of the oval is what causes the brim to get that asymmetrical swoop.
FtrPlt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by FtrPlt »

Aggie wrote:FtrPlt, got any pics?
Not the greatest photos. The camera in my phone has a puny lense and everything has a quasi-fisheye look to it!! The carbon isn't quite as light as it appears. The grey is a bit stiffer than the brown and slightly smaller. Both are size 56 -- my normal size. Both were too big when I got them and I had to use the sizing tape. Both shrank over time and neither have the tape in them any longer.

Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

Wow, that Carbon Grey is really a sharp-looking hat! I might just have to get me one... Image
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Sharp Carbon Grey

Post by YARVTON »

The photograph is useful in that it shows the two colors under the same lighting condition. I suppose they both can look lighter like this in direct sunlight.
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

I appreciate the pic!

WeeMadHamish, what I am worried about is the hat shrinking over time. I guess I'll just have to talk to Hats Direct once I'm ready to order and see what they have to say.
FtrPlt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by FtrPlt »

Aggie: I don't think you really need to worry about excessive/continuous shrinking. Both these hats shrank initially but have stabilized right at proper size.
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

What did you order the Carbon Gray Fed to do? :D
FtrPlt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by FtrPlt »

Piker wrote:What did you order the Carbon Gray Fed to do? :D
I ordered mine to pay my bills and go to work for me. So far, it's been pretty disappointing :D

I bought the brown one as a replacement for my previous field/hiking hat which finally rotted to pieces after 25 years. Bought the grey as a daily-wearer for work. It's been an extremely wet summer here in New England so both have been soaked on a pretty regular basis.
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

Well, if I order my exact size, and it's too tight for the turn, I can just use a hat stretcher, right?
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

FtrPlt wrote:Aggie: I don't think you really need to worry about excessive/continuous shrinking. Both these hats shrank initially but have stabilized right at proper size.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but, as I understand it, Akubra is well aware of this and manufactures their hats so that they will be the correct size once this minor shrinkage occurs.