Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

indyfyfe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Help a brother out, My first Wested Jaclet Purchase

Post by indyfyfe »

Hello all,
I am going to buy the Wested Washed Raiders Goat jacket.

Now I have been sized (for a tixedo jacket) recently and they sized me at a 43 long. I am 6'1" and weigh 195lbs with wide shoulders. I have a Todds Standard XL and it fits pretty good. A little snug in the shoulders.

I need advice on whether to get a 42 or 44. I think Harrison Fords looked good kind small. Thoughts, Advice? Do Westeds run smaller, larger, or right on.

Thanks

Brad
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I have ordered twice from Wested before, and I tend to buy a size larger, thinking about the fit in the future. If it fits perfectly now, will it fit that way say....5 years from now? If you are a 43L in a tux now, you might consider ordering a 46L, regular fit. If you get a standard size, with no custom features, you can return it. Anyone can handle a little extra roominess, not so the other way around. What good is a jacket if it can't be closed?

If you decide to go custom, another helpful tip that is highly recommended would be to measure from the end of the shoulder seam to the end of the cuff of a 'just right' jacket, as this will nail down the sleeve length. Also, measuring from the back, from the bottom of the collar stand to the end of the jacket will give them the exact length. Entirely your call, though, depending upon its intended use.
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

I'd go with the 44 if I were you.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I would go 44 too. a 46 might look too baggy. I have a 44 otr goat and I can wear a sweater underneath it just fine. I would just to make sure go to a store try on a 44 and a 46 jacket and see how it looks in the mirror and see what looks better and how it fits. good luck.
indyfyfe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by indyfyfe »

Thanks guys, I will probably go with the 44. I don't plan on wearing this everyday just for gearing around and special occasions.

Brad
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Never say 'never'. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

Do you have another Indy jacket, I plan to wear my goat everyday in the colder months if possible,its going to be my everyday every occasion jacket. I'd wear it now but its just to warm,so I just wear it in house when I need a fix to wear my Indy jacket.
indyfyfe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by indyfyfe »

Danny,
Do you think that a 42R would fit more like the screen used? I am not looking for comfort rather than screen accuracy. Thanks
Brad
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

If you have been fit for a tux jacket at 43L you probably want to go with a 44L or a custom jacket where you give Peter the sleeve length. I don't know your sleeve length, but I would compare with the numbers wested has on their site and go from there. If your getting a size 44 the chest area is not exactly 44 inches it is more like 48 total if your getting the regular cut. I got a 40 standard cut and it fits great, not loose, but not extremely tight, that is about where you want your indy jacket for screen accuracy. Unless your getting a CS jacket, then you want a baggy jacket, since that is what they did for Ford, they put him a size up because that is what the look they were wanting. It is mentioned on the official Indiana Jones website. Anyway, good luck on your jacket, hope it turns out great.

IndianaChris
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Arca Perdida »

Texan Scott wrote:another helpful tip that is highly recommended would be to measure from the end of the shoulder seam to the end of the cuff of a 'just right' jacket, as this will nail down the sleeve length.
that is, of course, assuming that the shoulder seam of both jackets start at the same distance from the neck. Otherwise, you can't rely on that comparison. Some jackets have the shoulder seam sit on the edge of your shoulder. Others hang lower than that.