Marion's Whips

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

LemonLauren
Vendor

Marion's Whips

Post by LemonLauren »

What!?! You don't remember Marion cracking her whips alongside Indy on the streets of Cairo? LOL...

OK seriously, so for the Indy 4 premier I put together a Marion costume - not a perfectly accurate costume, but it was fun to see what I could do on a really low budget. Around that time I was also looking into getting a pair of nylon stockwhips so I could keep working on two-handed routines even when the weather didn't want to cooperate.

Well, just today I received the whips (made by Chris Hall aka Indiana_Hall) and decided it was a good time to get out the Marion Costume again. I didn't originally get the whips specifically to match the Marion costume, but it's a fun coincidence that they do.

I'll post some pictures later on of just the whips by themselves with some more info about them, but I will say now that I'm very pleased with how they perform - Chris Hall's reputation for the performance of his stockwhip/cowwhip hybrid nylon whips is well deserved.

But anyways, here's some pictures of me dressed as Marion, trying out my new whips:

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Those whips look great! I can't wait to see some close up pictures of them! The handles look very unique!

Also - low budget Marion costume? Psh! It looks great!! Maybe you had to get close-enoughs for the pants, but really? The rest is very nice!

Thanks for posting!

Shane
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Wait wait wait, hold on....there's an Indy 4???

J/k, that's a great costume, and the whips do match nicely! Thanks for the pics!
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Alrighty, here's the whips by themselves. Like I said earlier, I'm very pleased by their performance - they handle very similarly to 'roo stockwhips despite their cowwhip-like construction and being made out of nylon. It's no wonder some of the best pro whip performers I know buy this particular design from Chris Hall (Indiana_Hall). I also really love the how the red turned out - very rich and vibrant, but not so bright that it looks obviously like synthetic bright red. Overall, I'm very happy - these whips will see a LOT of use as I work on some fun two-handed skills over the next several months. Thank you Chris. :-)

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com

TurnerME
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TurnerME »

Those look super impressive! I will also add so does your costume!

How is the weight of the handle? Are they waxed?
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Dude! You Rock! (As always!!!) :notworthy:
jabahutt70
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jabahutt70 »

Lauren, are the handles some type of composite, either plastic or fibreglass? How do they compare in weight with wood or cane?

Steve.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Ok thats the coolest thing ive seen all day......week..... month.... year?

Love the costume Lauren!...... well i mean, not for me... because, i just dont think id look right in..... eh.... nevermind..... point is.... COOL.....
yeh.....<<<That

So THESE are the stockwhips you have been tellin me about! really schweet!!

now.... the pics are cool n all,. but we gotta have some "Maiden Marion" whip crackin VIDEOS too!
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

If I didn't know any better, I 'd say the handles are made of 1/2" PVC plumbing...

Very nice. I just recently got Ron Edwards book and look forward to trying my hand at a few nylons (whips! :? )
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Thanks everybody. :-) I'm going to have a lot of fun working with these... I've been wanting to get into more complex two-handed stuff for awhile now, and these are just perfect for that.

I don't have all the answers about these whips' construction - you'll have to wait for Chris Hall, who I think is away on vacation at the moment. But I do know that they're waxed, and it looks like the handles are PVC pipe of some sort. The handles, with the waxed half-plait braiding, seem pretty close in weight to cane, maybe a little lighter. The fact that the thong isn't attached with a hinge but instead sits a little down into the hollow handle probably alters the distribution of weight a little. Again, you'll have to talk to Chris about his design specifics, exactly what materials he uses, and how he came to the design he has... But I definitely can reiterate how well these whips handle, how balanced and solid they feel, and how easy they are to crack.

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

lauren,

those whips compliment the fantastic look......with your gear, who needs a frying pan? :wink:
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

Great costume...and amazing whips!
Not to highjack but Chris Hall makes more than cow whips! (What he is famous for.)
Here is an Indy style he made for an RPF member. It is nylon and naturally weathered.
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Shagbd wrote:Ok thats the coolest thing ive seen all year.
That was exactly what I tried to type yesterday from my phone, but lost the connection before I could post!
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

i just keep coming back to these..........
they are SOOOO kool lookin!
Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor
Location: Where ya gotta go north to get to the deep South....

Post by Indiana_Hall »

Hey Lauren,

I just saw this post in the wee hours of the morning - it really made my day. Thank you so much for the kind words, and for the awesome pics. It means a lot to me to see my work publicly commended....And I agree with an earlier comment, I think we could all benefit from a video of Marion's whips in action :wink:....

To everybody else,

Thank you all for your kind words on my work. If anyone is interested in the construction methods I use, or would be interested in getting a whip from me, PM me and we'll talk....

Highest Regards,
- Chris
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

rjallen70 wrote:Great costume...and amazing whips!
Not to highjack but Chris Hall makes more than cow whips! (What he is famous for.)
Here is an Indy style he made for an RPF member. It is nylon and naturally weathered.

That's definitely one of the most attractive nylon whips I've ever seen! How much does he charge??
-Z
Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana_Hall »

nicetrylaoche,

Thanks for the kind words about my work. If you're interested, I do bullwhips like that at $15 a foot....PM me if there's any other info. I can give you....

Highest Regards,
- Chris
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

I particularly like the shape of the butt knot on that bullwhip, Chris. It looks very Morgan-like.

And I'm glad it made you smile to read about the red whips you made for me. I'm SO happy with them - they really crack well, and I've been using them enough that I've already learned a few neat new things with them. :-)

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

LemonLauren wrote: I've already learned a few neat new things with them. :-)
SHOW US !!!! SHOW US !!!! SHOW US !!!! SHOW US !!!!

(said in demanding rioting villager voice)
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

LOL... I'm still working on cleaning up the stuff I've started to learn - I'm a bit sloppy. It would take too many takes to get a decent looking clip at this point, and I barely have enough time to practice as it is, let alone also try to shoot video of it all. I promise though, one of these days I'll get around to taking a little video. Now that I have a pair of nylon whips, at least I won't be stopped by inclement weather! :-)

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana_Hall »

Hey Lauren,

I'm so happy to hear that the whips are serving you well - just keep me posted on how they handle as they break in, and the progress you're making with them. Just keep up what you're doing, and you'll be wowing all of us in no time at all. :wink:

Also, thanks for the compliments on the Indy whip - I was shooting for as close to a Morgan as I could get, and I'm glad that someone other than me thinks I got the look right. That particular whip was a fun one to do, and I was very satisfied with it overall. Maybe once all of my hybrid whip orders are filled I can make another few Indy whips and see what happens....

Highest Regards,
- Chris
Magno
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Magno »

Wait, that's nylon? That is insane! I would have sworn that was 10 year-old leather...

That's definitely an aspect of a nylon whip I've never seen before. Very cool.
david3000
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re:

Post by david3000 »

Indiana_Hall wrote:nicetrylaoche,

Thanks for the kind words about my work. If you're interested, I do bullwhips like that at $15 a foot....PM me if there's any other info. I can give you....

Highest Regards,
- Chris
Can you do that whip with a traditional fall hitch? It looks amazing but I would be concerned about durability without a replaceable fall.
Last edited by david3000 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaucho
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re:

Post by Gaucho »

Amazing work.

Gaucho. :notworthy:
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Marion's Whips

Post by Strider »

LL - I LOVE those whips. They are great, especially the color. It goes well with the colors of your costume. Bravo!