rebashing

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

okayletsrock
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

rebashing

Post by okayletsrock »

hey guys, i just purchased a JPD rabbit used off indy lounge. since used it already had a bash in it etc. but my question is is there a way to rebash it? i want to put the SOC turn into it. but since its already bashed putting the turn puts the front pinch over my right eye.

so if you could help me out with some steps i need to take to get rid of the old bash and put my own in id appreciate it
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

spray it down with distilled water then push out the crease so that it's as "open crowned" as possible. let it dry fully. rebash :wink:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Hey, G. That's my line!
okayletsrock
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by okayletsrock »

it still wants to fall into place of the old bash... i stuffed it full of tshirts and all still nothing
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

she may have no stiffener left in the felt. tough call on that one. you can try the spray on stiffener while she's open crowned so that it won't collapse on itself....but to tell you the truth, i've never had much luck with that stuff. by that point in time, i'm usually looking for a reblock......OH JIMMY........WHATCH DOIN? :D
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

Yeah, I'd recommend a re-block as well. As Indiana G stated, get in touch with Jimmy of Jimmy Pierce Designs. Or you can ask BendingOak as well, since he provides re-blocking services.
okayletsrock
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by okayletsrock »

alright thanks for the replies gentleman
Long John Silver
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Long John Silver »

I've rebashed my Fed 4 four times now because I didn't read thoroughly enough about the "turn" (i.e. I was a noob to wearing/bashing hats). :lol:

First time - bashed it without the turn

Second time - bashed it too far with the turn

Third time - got the turn right but pinched the top of the front crease too low.

Fourth time - finally got it where I wanted it.

For what it's worth, I used warm water on the creases every time and I let it dry between. Stiff as a board and doesn't show any of the old creases.

Awesome hat I must say... :wink:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Before you go for a reblock, try wetting it again, and rebashing while it's still wet. Hold it gently in place for a while, too. That might help.
okayletsrock
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by okayletsrock »

well i finally got it to stick with the bash, it still needs some tweaking. ***** cuz my bash is nowhere near as good as raging blues' was -_-"