Christmas in July! (Strain, Del Carpio and Nolan content)

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Christmas in July! (Strain, Del Carpio and Nolan content)

Post by Shagbd »

For anyone paying attention (dont worry, i dont even pay attention to myself..) this is actually a continuation of TWO threads.
the Strain one here:
viewtopic.php?t=32646

and the Del Carpio one here:
viewtopic.php?t=32678

For those following the threads, I got my Strain last week (KOTCS style) and today my Del Carpio Raiders whip came in.
Also, i got two stock whips I had ordered from Paul... so that makes a total of THREE whips i recieved in one day!!!....... Four whips in under a week! it was like CHRISTMAS!

Enough of the gushing.......
Since the Strain and Del Carpios are my first two Roo hide whips, I dont have much of a basis for comparison, other than to compare them to each other.

First off, lets go ahead and get this out of the way..... they are both BEAUTIFUL! TheFish recommended both of these makers to me, and I am EQUALLY pleased with both, therefore the "comparison" as it were is mainly just comparing their handlng characteristics, NOT saying one is better or worse than the other...... both are works of art.....

here is a picture of the two whips being discussed:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb13 ... aprio1.jpg

and a closeup of the handles
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb13 ... aprio2.jpg

Both whips are 9 foot Indy style whiles. There the similarities pretty much end.
Each is unique in very different ways.

The Strain is a thinner whip in the handle and thong area and is noticably lighter in the butt as well. The transition area is fairly stiff which makes for a very fast whips and lets it do quick combos pretty easily. Still, its a long whip, so fast combos are not what its really made for. The plaiting is INSANELY tight and it was "coil spring" tight when i got it a few days ago. I have cracked it a little bit and its starting to break in just a bit. still, very responsive.
Seeing is , Generally beleiving, so I made a quick video review with a few basic cracks for Joe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbe5pl0XGdU

The Del Carpio is a totally different beast. I say beast because its heavier than the Strain and has more flex in the transition area. What I QUICKLY found this good for is throws/flicks. OH MY DEAR GOD! This thing makes an underhand flick EFFORTLESS!! It really made my ears ring the first time i fired one off. As I say in the below video is how beautifully it rolls out. Doing cattlemans's you can really see the lopp rolling out... nice! I was surprised when I got it because it was a bit darker than some of the "natural tan" whips I have seen in pictures, but I say this in that i was very pleased. the color is GORGEOUS!. I wish i had my fedora with me because as soon as i took it out of the box, i felt like INDY! Super super whip, Gorgeously made!
Again, i did a video for Bernardo....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe1ozpi-ZA4

Now, I know what your thinking......"Shag, didnt you say you gotta NOLAN too?"......... YES! i did say that!
I got these two matching stock whips in from Paul today as well:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb13 ... whips1.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb13 ... whips2.jpg

They are 4 plait cowhide stock whips.... 4 foot long thongs. cane handles with roo hide half wraps. Ill have to let Paul tell you about the type of hide he used on the thongs... its a heavily oiled hide... and I LIKE IT! :-)
First off, lemme say that i have been RELIGIOUSLY watching Mike Murphy's "Fundementals of whipcracking" videos.... (keep in mind i have never handled a stockwhip, only bullwhips) so i figured since i was able to do much of the stuff he does with bullwhips, it was easily transition..... well... it does.... these stockwhips make alot of the cracks ALOT easier... but since this was my first ATTEMPT at two handed whip cracking..... well... as you'll notice, i didnt make a video of that... hahahaha
well actually i DID make videos of my cracking these stockwhips, but they are really embarrassing efforts..... more of a blooper real, but they made me realize that i have ALOT of work to do.. it goes without saying that these are superbly made.... i mean they ARE from Paul right? :-)
Expect to see videos with these in the future and wish me luck! two handed whip cracking is a WHOLE new world for me...... i really had to go back to the basics......
EDIT: Ok i changed my mind, i decided to add a video of me trying the stockwhips out, really pretty boring, but at least i didnt get hurt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2gU5QfQWEA

well, Thanks for reading this far, if you did, and hope you enjoyed the pictures and review!
Last edited by Shagbd on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

'Roo bullwhips really are just night and day in many ways to cowhide and nylon whips, eh? You got two 'roo beauties - both fine whips but also both very different in many ways - and an excellent pair of simple practice stockwhips. Considering your progress so far, I look forward to seeing what you can do with these nice whips in a few weeks, and what kinds of two-handed fun you can get into as well!

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
TurnerME
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TurnerME »

Shagbd, you are blessed with some very fine whips.

Also, I have to say that your ability to learn quickly astounds me. I am so impressed with your blazing fast skill progression.

Excellent job and beautiful whips.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

LemonLauren wrote:'Roo bullwhips really are just night and day in many ways to cowhide and nylon whips, eh? You got two 'roo beauties - both fine whips but also both very different in many ways - and an excellent pair of simple practice stockwhips. Considering your progress so far, I look forward to seeing what you can do with these nice whips in a few weeks, and what kinds of two-handed fun you can get into as well!

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
THANK YOU!!! (just knowing what MORE I have coming is even more exciting!)

you shoulda seen my first video i made with the stock whips!! OUCH! i beat myself to death! hahaha
two handed stuff is totally different!

TurnerME wrote:Shagbd, you are blessed with some very fine whips.

Also, I have to say that your ability to learn quickly astounds me. I am so impressed with your blazing fast skill progression.

Excellent job and beautiful whips.

Thank you very much my friend! VERY kind words!
I must thank my "teachers"; Lauren, Dan and Paul! :-)
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Stock whips are indeed VERY different beasts, and going with something like those heavier ones will probably do you a world of good in the long run. I find that stockwhips are often so light that it's hard to get the feel for how they move. And if you're used to bullwhip, I can speak from experience that when you move to stockwhip, you're putting WAY too much effort into it.

Those heavier whips teach the mechanics and "Feel" of how they work really well, and build up the muscles needed for all the really fast and subtle wrist movements that go into all those complex, two-handed routines, so when you move to lighter roohide stocks, you're THAT much faster.

The stockwhips that Paul learned most of the complex Australian routines he does were learned on a pair of heavy whitehide stockwhips from Maurice Doohan. I've cracked them, and I love them.

You say you have nothing to compare your two new kangaroo whips from Strain and DelCario to, so you don't feel you can make an honest opinion.

Well, after a few days of throwing a LOT of whips around by a LOT of different makers, and then spending most of yesterday cracking Strains, Nolans, Wicklines, and DelCarpios, I got news for you pal. Not much DOES compare to what you've got already and what's "on the way."

All the best, Bro!

-Dan
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

thefish wrote:
I got news for you pal. Not much DOES compare to what you've got already and what's "on the way."

-Dan

Dan, do you know what an "Enabler" is?..... LOOK IN THE MIRROR!
I blame all of this on YOU!!!
whips so SOOOO addictive!!

Seriously though bud, the correct word should be CREDIT.... if give you CREDIT for getting me into this........ you led me to some WONDERFUL people who I have had a wonderful time getting to know as well as getting the chance to own whips from them.

The next two (one from Lauren, one from paul) should be pretty interesting as well :-).........
SHHHHH dont tell anybody about those yet~!
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

I know I'm an enabler...But you know...It goes both ways...It's sort of codependency really ;-) I've gotten several people hooked on whips, and they in turn just make me worse...or better.

As for CREDIT, I'm just paying back what I've already been fortunate enough to receive. I was lucky enough to hook up with the right people early on, and those great folks introduced me to other great folks, and have forged friendships that I value above just about everything else in my life.

I'm just payin' it forward, pal!

(And about those next two...Paul, Lauren and I talked a little about them yesterday when I crashed at their place before heading back East on Monday evening, and Lauren explained a little to me about how she plans on doing the one she's doing. Interesting doesn't BEGIN to cover it. She's going to let me know when she's about got it done, so I can make the 3+ hour trip to see it in person before she sends it your way!)
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

OHHHH YOU LUCKY DAWG!
you get to see my whip before i do!!!

You know in feudal Japan, when a master forged a sword, it was forged FOR a particular warrior was belonged ONLY do that warrior.
The only people to ever touch the sword where the maker who then handed it directly to the owner..... and then i guess the folks that died by it count too :-)
If ANYONE else touched the sword before the warrior recieved it, it was considered cursed and the smith would have to make another.... OR if the owner to be was so offended, he would decapitate the violater himself.
To touch a Bushi's sword was more of an insult than touching his WIFE!

Soooooooooo........... go right ahead..... play with my whip....... have fun!
***Snicker***snicker***snicker*****
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Those are some good looking whips. Whereabouts down south are you located?
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

zohar wrote:Those are some good looking whips. Whereabouts down south are you located?

hahaha why? so you can come take them? hahahhahaha

just kidding.....
but seriously thats why i put "down south" instead of my streat address :-)
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

OR if the owner to be was so offended, he would decapitate the violater himself.
Well, I know what you got planned for this whip, and I've seen pictures of your wife.

Either way, I'd at least die a happy man! :lol: :lol: :lol:

-D
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

thefish wrote:
OR if the owner to be was so offended, he would decapitate the violater himself.
Well, I know what you got planned for this whip, and I've seen pictures of your wife.

Either way, I'd at least die a happy man! :lol: :lol: :lol:

-D

HEY!!!!!!!!!
If i wasnt so complimented, id be offended!!! lol lol

'preciate it!

Ok, in that case, you can touch the WHIP!

ack to the Del Carpio whip, i really was genuinly sad that you and lauren didnt get to play with it before i went out.
had i known the timing issue, i would have gladly just had it shipped the next day!
that just goes to show Bernardo's commitment to satisfying his customer!!
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Shagbd wrote:
zohar wrote:Those are some good looking whips. Whereabouts down south are you located?

hahaha why? so you can come take them? hahahhahaha

just kidding.....
but seriously thats why i put "down south" instead of my streat address :-)

Just curious. I have gotten together with other whipcrackers in my area for sportcracking, and sharing tips and tricks.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

hahahaha its cool bud, i was just playing.

im in georgia
you?
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Shagbd wrote:hahahaha its cool bud, i was just playing.

im in georgia
you?

<<<<Right There.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

hmmm
i knew that :-)