What's the size of your point?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

What's the size of your point?

Post by Canuck Digger »

This may seem like a silly request, but what is the average size of the point of your whips just before the fall hitch, and how many strands are there at that point; 4, 6, 8? Whipmakers please feel free to pipe in here...

Cheers!
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: What's the size of your point?

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Canuck Digger wrote:This may seem like a silly request, but what is the average size of the point of your whips just before the fall hitch, and how many strands are there at that point; 4, 6, 8? Whipmakers please feel free to pipe in here...

Cheers!
I am not quite sure how to tell, but there appear to be eight strands sticking out of the keeper at the point of my 6.5ft 12plait from Joe. I don't have a measuring device handy to check the circumfrence, though.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Mine's about 3/4" long, and has 6 strands sticking out, counting the one that I stick underneath the eye of the fall.

Shane
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Hehehe, no I meant how WIDE is the point before the fall hitch? You know, 1/4" that type of thing... And if your whip finishes with a pattern of over 1, under 2 (or under 2, over 1 on the other side...), then it's a 6 plait point, if it's over 2 under 2 then it's an 8 plait point. I know some have whips that finish with a checkerboard, and in that case, just go before the checkerboard patter... Trying to figure this out by looking at how many strands come out of the thong can be misleading as there may be some core strands in the lot... So one really needs to look at the last inches of the actual plait.

I'm trying to make an average of how wide most whips are. I know Australian stockwhips made in kangaroo are often thinner than bullwhips, especially American style bullwhips, but I'm mostly interested in bullwhips here, not so much stockwhips.

Gentlemen (and ladies), I await your answers...
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Would a photo help?

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Oh, okay. I'll try to remember to measure the diameter of my point. I am still a bit confused regarding braiding nomenclature, but here is a photo of the point of my 12plait 6.5ft Joe Strain bullwhip:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3071/270 ... 0055_b.jpg
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Thanks for the pic Mannie. That's a 6 trand point.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Oh! Yeah, my Stenhouse is a 6 strand point, and it's a quarter inch wide. Hope that helps better! #-o

Shane
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

today I finish 5' 12 plait bullwhip

the point is a 8 strands and have 5 mm diameter

tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

And what about nylon whips? I drop strands to 4 but I saw classicbullwhips whips and they end with 6 strands. Which method gives better taper?