.45 ACP or 45 Auto rim

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

.45 ACP or 45 Auto rim

Post by Bowie »

I have recently purchased a S&W M22 1917, and I am asking for opinions regarding which ammo you prefer and why. I currently use the .45ACP which requires the moon clips, but I am curious as to the performance/reliability of the Auto rim which does not need the moon clips.

Thanks!!

Bowie
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Bowie,

Congrats on picking up your S&W M22. Let's see some pics of that beauty!!

As for the ammo, I've only fired mine with the .45 ACP & moon clips. I didn't know the Auto Rim was an option. I'm curious to hear someone else weigh in here, as well.

-Craig
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

ACP is so cheap, there is no reason to even consider the (most likely) more expensive rimmed cartridges.

I'll even send you .45 ACP brass for the cost of shipping if that helps you out...
Terryhimself
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

.45 auto rim

Post by Terryhimself »

I have been shooting my 1917s and webleyMkVI exclusely with .45 auto rim for at least 10 yrs. I get a real kick out of dropping those big rounds into the chambers and ejecting them afterword.
I have been lucky in finding ammo at shows at decent prices. The rounds are normally loaded with lead bullets that just seem to be easier on the revolvers then jacked..... Terry
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

Ammo prices can be a bit steep, compared to the low price of .45 ACP. Reloading with moonclips is a lot faster, too.

If you go with autorims, and plan to do a fair amount of shooting, get into reloading your ammo. It is the way to go with less common rounds, brings the cost down, and lets you load the amount/type of powder and bullet that works best for your needs. Typical .45 ACP loads can be a bit rough on converted Webleys, for example, so using a lighter powder load can be gentler on the action.

Or even use blackpowder. How I love that smell! Always makes me smile!
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

What IS the going rate for ammo these days? I purchased a Model 22 of 1917 back in March, so I finally had to start buying .45 ACP. I bought a box from a local gun shop here in LA, and it set me back $22 for 50 rounds. Since I had no point of reference, I bought just one box. Thoughts?

-Craig
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

Here's some answers to the above questions..

Ammo Prices: Try www.cheaperthandirt.com They lots of other cool stuff too, that all gearheads like.

Cleaning copper from the barrel: Butch's Bore Shine. I use this on my .308 and it works great without damaging the barrel (as many copper removers can) Reccomended by several custom barrel makers...

Needless to say, I 'roll my own' too...
John Falcon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by John Falcon »

Wal-mart usually has .45 ammo for under $15 for 50.
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

Also keep an eye out for when Wally World has the 100 round packs. A good source for ammo is www.ammoman.com (he carries .45 autorim and .455 Webley) and shipping is included in the usually low prices.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

John Falcon wrote:Wal-mart usually has .45 ammo for under $15 for 50.
Note that not all states allow Wally World to sell ammo.

I can buy it in CT, but not in NY... :?
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

WalMart is not allowed to have stores within the city limits of Los Angeles. Hmm...

-Craig
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Drive south to the Costa Mesa gun show August 16, 17 2008. In the first building to your left is Wholesale Ammo. They take up about ten tables worth of space. Stop and say hello! I'm one row over under the Adventure Supply banner.
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Lee Keppler wrote:Drive south to the Costa Mesa gun show August 16, 17 2008. In the first building to your left is Wholesale Ammo. They take up about ten tables worth of space. Stop and say hello! I'm one row over under the Adventure Supply banner.
Lee,

Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely try to come down - would love to get the chance to meet and chat in person. I assume you will be offering up some of your gear for sale there?

Kind regards,
Craig
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

That's a pretty good show - LOTS of stuff to browse through. I usually end up buying
some ammo from Wholesale when I go - good customer service and products ( just wish
they had more of the military surplus rounds - 8mm Mauser and 30.06 surplus are getting
harder to come by at a cheap price ) It would also be nice to meet Lee in person as well.
I've been to that show at least a half-dozen times in the past few years and I'm sure
I passed right by his table without knowing who it was ( of course, I really didn't know
about ANY of the gear vendors until I got a computer & internet this year - finally crawled
outta the stone age, as my friends put it ) :wink: :junior:
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

http://www.georgia-arms.com/45acp-1.aspx

Canned Heat, mafa, Canned Heat!
Wisconsin Platt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Wisconsin Platt »

New Member Chiming in here:

I really prefer to use Auto Rims, especially in older S&Ws or revolvers that are converted from .45 Eley/.455 Webley like my British Hand Ejectors and Webleys. Most Auto Rim rounds are loaded with plain lead or plated lead bullets and put less wear on the barrels.
The steel on these old war horses, while top notch in their day, just isn't as tough as modern barrels and the rifling is very shallow in many .45ACP models. Using lead bullets and the usually lighter loaded Auto Rims will make them last longer and keep them shooting in the decades to come. In a modern version like the Model 22 or 22 of 1917, use whatever you'd like.

If speed of reloading is a factor, HKS does or did make a .45 Auto Rim speed loader that works well with the Smiths, Webleys, and Colts. Slightly slower than the moonclips, but easier to find than the vintage brass speedloaders used by police at the turn of the century.

BTW, if you see the now discontinued PMC Auto Rim rounds anywhere, make sure you snag them. I've yet to have a Webley that shot them anywhere but point of aim and in a small group, even at extended ranges (75yds). Smiths and Colts like'em too!
dr. tyree
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by dr. tyree »

IME, the auto rims don't kick as hard.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

I think that is what WP was basically saying- the rounds don't hammer the gun as hard (or the user).

Of course, if you 'roll your own' you can tailor tham as needed through light bullet selection and corresponding light powder charges- even black powder (which I think was mentioned earlier) for the authentic smoke screen... :lol:
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Lee Keppler wrote:Drive south to the Costa Mesa gun show August 16, 17 2008. In the first building to your left is Wholesale Ammo. They take up about ten tables worth of space. Stop and say hello! I'm one row over under the Adventure Supply banner.
Lee,

Sorry we missed each other at the Crossroads show. I came down to visit, but when I couldn't find you, I spoke to one of the organizers. They said you weren't setting up a table this time around. I know there's another one in Costa Mesa in a few months. If you make it down, please let me know. I will definitely come back and chat.

And thanks for the ammo tip - I got a good deal on some .45ACP from Wholesale Ammo. :D 8)

Kind regards,
Craig