Custom made, swashbuckling perfection. My new JPD!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Custom made, swashbuckling perfection. My new JPD!

Post by Weston »

Yeehaaa!

I finally have a little time to show off my new fedora; a beautiful new JPD Raider! This is a gift from my wife, one of the pieces of fine gear she has bought for me as part of a composite super-gift in celebration of the "Year of Indy", as she puts it. I was shopping around for a new fedora last year and had put down some notes as to size, brim and crown dimensions, and vendors on a notecard. She absconded with the note at some point and did this with it.

I thought the lining needed to be seen. The color actually is a deep violet, not quite as blue as it appears, at least on my monitor, with Jimmy's yellow rose of Texas crest proudly in the center. Very nice!

This is the initial crease I have given it. I opted for a more relaxed pinch, knowing that after some handling it will sharpen. This is the first hat that I didn't immediately give the razor sharp Raider's pinch too, even though it was made to look stellar with that bash. I'm going to ease into it with this one.

Here's what it looks like four days later, with the much sharper pinch as predicted. It is already sporting some sweat stains on the ribbon, which is to be expected in the 90+ temps we have been having. The first of many, no doubt!

And here it is on my noggin. I am 100% pleased with Jimmy's work, the hat is made absolutely to the specs my lovely wife provided him. Enjoy these pics and questions and comments are welcome.

Weston
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

that is a great looking hat! its got that beautiful raiders-esque block shape. the best part about it is that shape compliments your face perfectly. enjoy in good health :D
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Congrats on the new hat, Weston. More importantly, congrats on having a wife who supports your hobby and even gets involved a little bit. They're like Tony Nowak jackets - they appear everywhere on this board, but there really aren't that many of them out there in the world. I'm lucky that my significant other is pretty cool with my hobby too. :junior: -M
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Brilliant, brilliant hat!

*runs off to get married* :lol:
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Perfection!!! What a hat and the color on the JPD is super. Enjoy and don't forget more pics when it gets a little broken in... :D
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

wow.congrats.

that is one beauty

bests
IH
NCIndy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NCIndy »

Indiana G wrote:that is a great looking hat! its got that beautiful raiders-esque block shape. the best part about it is that shape compliments your face perfectly. enjoy in good health :D
Completely agree with what Indiana G said
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I am going to start printing all of Weston's posts out and strategically place them all over the house so my wife can see them!!!!! :lol: I saw that awesome whip she got you a while back, now this, you lucky DOG!! :shock:
Please forgive all of us who are just green with envy. :wink:
Steve27752
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Steve27752 »

I like the hat a lot. The nicest thing is that your good lady took the time and trouble to get it for you.
Steve :D
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Hollowpond wrote:I am going to start printing all of Weston's posts out and strategically place them all over the house so my wife can see them!!!!! :lol: I saw that awesome whip she got you a while back, now this, you lucky DOG!! :shock:
Please forgive all of us who are just green with envy. :wink:
Yes, I am fully aware that I am being spoiled rotten. Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like the pics. That last one was taken my my 6 year old daughter, an ace photographer! The only problem I've had with this hat since I received it is taking it off. It does not want to leave my head, and I'm more than happy to keep it there!

Weston
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Man, Weston you are the luckiest dog on the porch. Sweet looking lid. Jimmy did a great job on it! :D

Cheers!

Dan
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

That's a gorgeous hat my friend. I'm going to have to save up and get one. It's cool also because my initials are J.P.
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

That's awesome. Man, Jimmy does a mean looking hat. I'd sport one of those in a second.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Very nice. What felt is that?
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I believe it is Cury felt.

Weston
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

very nice looking hat you got there. Suits you nicely. Wear it in good health
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

"Perfection"

Post by YARVTON »

That Hat is superb. I mentioned JPD on another thread today as a good choice, though, for me, I think it might be the BEST choice. Certainly for custom work is offers the best value. And, of course a Wife who gives such a "Perfect" gift is "Perfection Incarnate". Regards.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Thanks AC! Yes, the Cury is something, and so far very good. Jimmy advertised it as a possible source for the original HJ fedoras. I'm a bit of a romanitic so please don't spoil this illusion for me if it is such!

I just got back from a trip to the Oregon Coast. I admit left it in the car when we had to cross the bridge at Depot Bay because, as I explained to my wife, the wind was very strong and being so new the brim was quite stiff still, so there was the possibility of it blowing into the harbor and I didn't feel like doing a swan dive off the bridge to recover my fedora.

She understood. Interestingly, she didn't question the fact that I absolutely would recover my fedora, only my ability to execute a perfect swan dive.

I didn't say it would be a "perfect" dive. Only an effective one.

Weston
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

The only thing stopping me from buying one of these is the fact that they're out of my price range. But I want one. That color is amazing, and I love that liner. Jimmy Pierce makes a great hat. Now if only every aspect of the hat making world would become 50% cheaper so that I might afford one of his lids... Oh well, I'll just add it to my long list of things to do in the far future. Hopefully he's still making such a nice hat whenever I get around to revisit my list :lol:

-KB :)
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Reeeeeally loving that liner! :tup: