Batsakes Hat Shop in Cincy...Opinions Anyone?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Rich
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Batsakes Hat Shop in Cincy...Opinions Anyone?

Post by Indiana Rich »

Hi all,

I live in lovely Cincinnati, OH where we are lucky enough to still have a full service hat shop - Batsakes Hat Shop - downtown. Has anyone had any dealings with Gus Miller there?

I have a Akurba that needs to be stretched and reshaped a bit (not a total reblock more like a little reshaping on the brim) and am looking at getting a HJ poet in Idol Grab bash. I'd eventually like to get a gray Indy fedora too...

Any info, like always, would be appreciated

IR
Alan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alan »

There are some guys at Fedora Lounge who have used Batsakes, most speak very highly of him. I've read that communications can sometimes be a bit of an issue, but they should be able to handle your issue without problem, I'd think.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Very nice article AC. I wish there was a shop like that here near me...
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Wouldn't go there to buy a hat, as I've been in there and it's mostly modern stetsons. But it'd probably be a good place to have some work done on a hat. I went in to kind of get a quote a few years ago, I believe the lady said it'd be about $30. And if there was someone doing it, it'd be a cool place to get your shoes shined because they have a small shoe shine parlor there :)

-KB :)

PS, what part of Cincy are you in? Downtown, or in some of the other Cincy parts where downtown is a bit of a drive?
Indiana Rich
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Rich »

Hi.

I'm actually about 10 minutes outside of downtown Cincy in Northern Ky. I think I'll stop over at Batsakes when I'm off this week. Thanks for the info.

IR

PS- Any Cincy/Ky COW members that want to get together to grab a beer and swap gear stories, drop me a PM. I'm off on Tuesday, Friday and Saturdays.
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

IR, KB --

There is an Indiana Jones costume contest being held this weekend not too far from us...

http://www.gldentertainment.com/westernarts.htm
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Indiana Rich wrote:Hi.

I'm actually about 10 minutes outside of downtown Cincy in Northern Ky. I think I'll stop over at Batsakes when I'm off this week. Thanks for the info.

IR

PS- Any Cincy/Ky COW members that want to get together to grab a beer and swap gear stories, drop me a PM. I'm off on Tuesday, Friday and Saturdays.
Wow, this is getting scary, I'm actually in Northern Kentucky, about 10 minutes outside of downtown Cincy :lol: And I'm not much of a drinker, but swapping gear stories and such sounds like fun, haven't done it in years.

And Mannie, I had no idea YOU were in the area too! And that costume countest sounds interesting....

Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Kentucky Blues wrote:And Mannie, I had no idea YOU were in the area too! And that costume countest sounds interesting....
(Sorry to derail the topic.) I am thinking about taking a felt hat to Batsakes to see if it can be made to fit my noggin a bit better, but I am a little nervous about messing with the hat.

I actually live in Lexington, KY. But I know that Paul Nolan once told me he would like for COW folks to be able to get together more frequently than they do. There seem to be a few IndyGear folks near them.

Gery Deer just told me the Indy costume contest isn't going to be so much of a line-em-up, look at 'em sort of thing... the awards will given based on observation during the day on Saturday. (I don't know if anyone will show up on Saturday in Indy gear or not.) I would mainly be going this weekend to learn about whip cracking (if I get to go). I hope my whip will be in my hands by Saturday. If it is (and if I get to go to AO Days) I would probably go in gear.
Indiana Rich
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Rich »

Wow....Mannie too....we all need to get together...pm me guys...

As far as the costume contest, that sounds cool but I already have plans for this weekend. Perhaps another time.

Anyways, my gear is not complete. I'm still missing two major pieces: a Wested Raiders leather jacket and a Joe Strain 10' bullwhip. Altogether not bad, considering I only really started collecting my gear in May!!!
8)

Thanks

IR
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Not bad at all. If you wanna talk screen accuracy, all I HAVE is a gunbelt, holster, bag and jacket. If you want to talk close enoughs, the only thing I'm missing is a hat I'm happy with, as my Fed Deluxe isn't very much Deluxe... or fed... anymore :lol: But a new hat is coming soon!

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Stay on target...
Indiana Rich
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Rich »

Red Five standing by

:wink:

IR
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

What I find interesting is I was born and raised up river from Cincinnati, and in all those years I never heard of this store. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Well, they knew it was your greatest dream to move as far south of them as humanly possible, so they kept themselves a secret so as not to interfere with your dreams :lol: Maybe you'll just have to come on up here and go in there with us ;) Or just send a cardboard cut out and we'll drag it along :rolling:

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Here's a smilie you can print out and take with you instead...

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Rich
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Rich »

:lol:

Thanks

IR
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

"mostly modern Stetsons" at Batsakes

Post by YARVTON »

But Gus Miller MAKES custom Fedoras out of some very nice felt. Do check out Fedora Lounge opinions on this. I just wish I were near so that I could drop in to the shop.