If a hat is too small, is there any way to make it fit?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

If a hat is too small, is there any way to make it fit?

Post by Mannie Bothans »

I just bought a used fur hat on the Internet. I am not much of a hat wearer, but it is a tad too tiny for me. I have never really worn real hats before (except the one I left at Midwest whips), so... am I just stuck, or are there some time-honored proper ways to make it fit a little better? It almost feels like it could almost fit just right after wearing it a while.

The hat is a size 58 and my head measures about 23 inches around about one inch above my ears.

I know that pics might help you see how it fits, but I don't own a digital camera. I just received this hat in the mail today and it sits pretty high up on my head and leaves a bit of a mark when I take it off.
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: If a hat is too small, is there any way to make it fit?

Post by cooncatbob »

Mannie Bothans wrote:I just bought a used fur hat on the Internet. I am not much of a hat wearer, but it is a tad too tiny for me. I have never really worn real hats before (except the one I left at Midwest whips), so... am I just stuck, or are there some time-honored proper ways to make it fit a little better? It almost feels like it could almost fit just right after wearing it a while.

The hat is a size 58 and my head measures about 23 inches around about one inch above my ears.

I know that pics might help you see how it fits, but I don't own a digital camera. I just received this hat in the mail today and it sits pretty high up on my head and leaves a bit of a mark when I take it off.
Stretch it with a hat stretcher.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

This thread might help a little, too.
viewtopic.php?t=32291
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

The hat stretcher works great. Just put it in and apply light tension to the inside of the hat, then after a day or 2 a little more tension until the hat fits the way you want.

#-o I forgot about wetting the sweat 1st and turning it back in, then put in the stretcher...thanks Oak!!! That way it won't stress out the stitching. Do a little tension at a time, but you can go up a whole hat size.
Last edited by gabrielle on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Thanks, I didn't want to risk using a hat jack in case it was known to do bad things to the shape of the crown, brim, etc.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

To Stretch or Not to Stretch

Post by YARVTON »

Advice may vary from thread to thread. Where are you? Is there any real hat store around? I have a snuggy-fit fedora that I plan to take to a hatter in NYC -- they stretch them right out back. Sounds like you're a full size larger than your hat is. Before you try anything yourself I recommend a visit to The Fedora Lounge. Regards.
squidkidd
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by squidkidd »

If it's possible, get a haircut. My snugger hats always fit better after getting the ears lowered.

Regards,
Brian
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: To Stretch or Not to Stretch

Post by Mannie Bothans »

YARVTON wrote:Advice may vary from thread to thread. Where are you? Is there any real hat store around? I have a snuggy-fit fedora that I plan to take to a hatter in NYC -- they stretch them right out back. Sounds like you're a full size larger than your hat is. Before you try anything yourself I recommend a visit to The Fedora Lounge. Regards.
Doh! Right. The Fedora Lounge. Of course.

I live in Lexington, KY and the only real hat shop we had was just displaced by a new massive development. I'll try to see if they survived the displacement.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

how small would you say it is? You could turn the sweatband out , wet it without wetting the felt. Fold it back in then put in the stetcher and leave it there until completely dry.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Lexington, KY

Post by YARVTON »

How close is that to Cincinnati? Gus Miller makes his own fedoras and operates one of few old-fashioned hat stores remaining -- Batsakes is the name if I recall correctly.
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Thanks everyone. I was just in Cincinnati last week.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Well, if all else fails, maybe something like this may help...

Image ;) :P
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

one more suggestion

Post by YARVTON »

Call J Peterman. They (He) would know of anyone in or around Lexington.
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:Well, if all else fails, maybe something like this may help...

Image ;) :P
That's perfect! My wife always said my head was too big for my own good.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

hat size

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Yes, your head measurement of 23 inches is a size 59 (centimeters), not a 58. Close, but one size off. Good luck with the hat stretcher.
toobacat
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by toobacat »

I've put shoe stretch on the sweatband when stretching it a lot. I'm sure this kept the sweatband from splitting. Unless you use a full crown stretcher, the crown may flare out at the bottom after stretching.