Harry Steele jacket (Secret of the Incas)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Harry Steele jacket (Secret of the Incas)

Post by Indiana Strones »

What do you think about the Heston jacket in Secret of the Incas? Is it a Cooper?

ImageImage
ImageImage
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Good screen caps. Do you have a copy of the film?

Is this jacket a real A2 or a fake/studio one like the Hogan's Heros jacket?
interbak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by interbak »

It looks like a civilian flight jacket, loosely styled on an A-2. The pockets are cut into the body of the jacket not sewn on patch pockets, the pocket snaps are exposed, not hidden under the leather of the pocket flap, etc, etc. Nice looking jacket, but definitely not an A-2.

Brian
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

CM wrote:Good screen caps. Do you have a copy of the film?

Is this jacket a real A2 or a fake/studio one like the Hogan's Heros jacket?
I have an Italian copy, as the film was broadcasted on TV here some time ago. But I think is not difficult to find this in English on ebay.
Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

You're right... I got an english copy from ebay. The quality isn't great, but watch-able.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Harry Steele

Post by YARVTON »

And don't you just love the way he wears that hat! Must find out who did costumes for this flick -- studio department at that time, no doubt.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I'll point Curator Rick to this discussion. If anyone would know, he would. He's got original props from the movie (including one of the trousers Heston wore in the film -- there were two pair with distinct differences). I don't know anyone else who knows as much about this movie as he does. :wink:
Curator Rick
Scoundrel
Location: Warehouse 53,searching for my artifact. D.B.S.S.W.D.D.

Post by Curator Rick »

OK here goes.
Edith Head was in charge of costumes. Those not made for the production were pulled from the Paramount Wardrobe Dept. not Western Costume Co.

Harry Steele's outfit

Hat (was not a fedora) - Australian military hat (late 40s, early 50s model). This particular model had a peculiar "double brim". Stewart Granger wears an identical model (but with lighter colored band)in the Allen Quartermain movie King Solomon's Mine.

"Scarf" - This was made from either a sheet or linen towel that had the blue woven identification strip you find in institutional linens it says"HOTEL LA PAZ"

boots - 3/4 Wellingtons, dark brown.

pants - on location shots in Peru Heston wore Army Officer's "pinks" these had back pockets w/ flaps, no front pleats, zipper fly The pair worn in studio shots Heston wore custom made pants resembling the "pinks" but with out back pockets. (Edith loved Heston's rear and wanted it "unblemished")

Jacket - made of horse hide - a cross between the A-2 and the G-2 flight jackets. front closes as on the G-2 (no storm flap), shoulder straps of the A-2, side entry pockets as on both but no patch pockets on front. these pockets instead are inset in the front of the jacket. The pocket flaps has exposed snaps. No gussets in back. The squadron emblem on right side was a well worn decal that resembled the US Air Forces Ferry Command. Leather name strip on left side.

White T-shirt
Last edited by Curator Rick on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

"Australian military hat..."

Post by YARVTON »

How interesting when considering mention of Herbert Johnson's so-called Australian model for Raiders! One of the Fedora Loungers just had a copy of Granger's hat made and several photos are posted.

Thanks much for the info. Edith Head was just fantastic. Anyone else remember her TV appearances (on Merv Griffin as I recall)?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I told you CR knew his stuff! :wink:
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

...and nevermind my question about patch ID. The coffee kicked in and I read the posts above with the info...
Last edited by hocfutue on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

One of the Fedora Loungers just had a copy of Granger's hat made and several photos are posted.
That was our very own IndyFrench!

Regards !Michaelson
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

hocfutue wrote:Has anyone ID'd the patch on the jacket?
The squadron emblem on right side was a well worn decal that resembled the US Air Forces Ferry Command.
Harry Steele
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Harry Steele »

Here's a link to a site devoted to Secret of the Incas:

http://incas.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Here's a news story on "Indiana Heston." Writer notes Paramount has rights to Secret.

http://www.t-g.com/blogs/brianmosely/entry/17975/

Cheers,

Harry
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

This looks like a fun movie.

I ordered a DVD copy from a vendor on Flea Bay and it should be here soon...

(PS not expensive either!)

Interesting that he apparently wears the same pants as Indy (or, more accurately, vice-versa)
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

Hmm, SotI takes place in the 50s, Paramount owns the rights... bring back Harry in Indy V!
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

Now THAT sounds like a good idea!

Indy dies, Mutt runs into Harry, they bond, Mutt goes off to war, Harry keeps on diggin'!

Sounds like a nice neat package...
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Harry Steele wrote:Here's a link to a site devoted to Secret of the Incas:

http://incas.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Here's a news story on "Indiana Heston." Writer notes Paramount has rights to Secret.

http://www.t-g.com/blogs/brianmosely/entry/17975/

Cheers,

Harry
Beautiful site Harry!! :wink:
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

J!m wrote:Now THAT sounds like a good idea!

Indy dies, Mutt runs into Harry, they bond, Mutt goes off to war, Harry keeps on diggin'!

Sounds like a nice neat package...
"Mutt goes off to war"? Which one? The Korean ceasefire was signed 4 years before KOTCS. Maybe he gets drafted and sits in a tank in the Fulda Gap for a year or two. Or he joins the Legion, heads off to Algeria.

But Harry turning up as one of Indy's war buddies would be great, though.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

That's a nice tie-of too..

I think it would be great to get the two of them together...

I than you all for your votes! I will gladly accept the position as Harry Steele for the upcoming movie! :D
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

Hmm, maybe we need an "Indy-spirations" folder about characters who inspired Indy, or whom Indy inspired?
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

Was this one of the two movies the costume crew was asked to watch for designing the costumes?

I know there were two of them, but I thought they were both B&W films...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Secret of the Incas and China were the two movies, I believe.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

This is what Deborah Nadoolman said about this film and the inspiration for Indiana Jones. Of course the whip was not "right there on Charlton Heston in 1954..." :wink:
Secret of the Incas (1954) starring Charlton Heston and directed by Jerry Hopper is almost a shot for shot Raiders of the Los Ark. Since both were made by Paramount, and Secret is no longer available on video – I can only guess that Larry Kasdan took that script and updated it for Steven. A great idea. We did watch this film together as a crew several times, and I always thought it strange that the filmmakers did not credit it later as the inspiration for the series. Raiders stands on it’s own as a modern classic, but the fedora jacket and whip are right there on Charlton Heston in 1954. My own work is not diminished by having seen that marvellous film. The spirit of Raiders was also informed by Alan Ladd’s 1940’s film noirs, which also had the same hard boiled adventurer, clad in leather jacket and felt fedora.

I have just seen Secret of the Incas again at the Eastman House in Rochester, and it really helped refresh my memory. Harrison’s Indiana is really a kinder and gentler Harry Steele, Heston’s archaeologist/adventurer. Heston’s fedora is considerably bigger and more unwieldy – compared to the one I designed for Indiana it looks practically like a picture hat!
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

"almost a shot by shot Raiders..."

Post by YARVTON »

Many thanks for posting that quotation! MUST SEE this movie. Art builds upon art, afterall.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Note that in the book "The complete making of I.J." there is NO WORD about this film... :-# :-# :-#
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

"NO WORD about this film"

Post by YARVTON »

Even for those who think Raiders the greatest/bestest/most-fabulous Movie Ever Made -- it didn't just come out of nowhere. Nor was Mozart, DW Griffith, and Michelangelo whispering sweet nothings from the afterlife into the ears of Lucas and Spielberg.
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: "NO WORD about this film"

Post by Zombie Jones »

YARVTON wrote:Even for those who think Raiders the greatest/bestest/most-fabulous Movie Ever Made -- it didn't just come out of nowhere. Nor was Mozart, DW Griffith, and Michelangelo whispering sweet nothings from the afterlife into the ears of Lucas and Spielberg.
True. Inspiration often has many sources.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

My copy of the movie was not waiting for me when I got home this weekend, but it should be in soon!

I hope the quality is tolerable!

I will report in after I have viewed it... :)