Terry Jacka 10' KotCS whip has arrived!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Terry Jacka 10' KotCS whip has arrived!

Post by serrecuir »

At last!! After four very looooong months, the wait for my Jacka 10' Crystal Skull whip has finally come to an end! I got a call from Colin at Australian Stock Saddle Co. last week that it had successfully made the long trek from Terry in Australia and was waiting for me to take possession. I made the short drive to Malibu to meet Colin and pick up my latest piece of IndyGear. Here are a few pics from this weekend...

This whip is truly a thing of beauty. It's a tank, to say the least. I cracked it just a few times - I can definitely understand Anthony's fascination with Terry's whips now. On a side note, Colin was incredibly hospitable and took some time to chat with me (and take a few pics) despite having another customer to attend to. He's a great guy and very knowledgeable about all things whip-related. I can't wait to take this whip out now and get crackin'!

-Craig
Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bardoon »

Congratulations!!! It looks fantastic and you're lucky to have an actual Jacka whip!!!

It looks beautiful, enjoy your cracking!
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

That whip looks very familiar to me. I hope Bullwhip Borton gets his soon!
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Hey Craig, Congratulations on getting your Crystal Skull bullwhip, I know how long you’ve been waiting for yours too and how anxious you’ve been to get it. It is a real beauty, in fact I could have sworn I seen it somewhere before :wink: , It amazes me how much these darken up from when they are first finished to when they are delivered. That was great that you could go pick it up in person too.

Thanks JMObi, :wink: The paperwork arrived and Terry should be shipping my CS bullwhip in the next day or two so hopefully it will not be much longer now. I really apprecate your patience LOL.

Enjoy your new whip Craig!

Dan
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Amazing! It looks really stiff. I'd be happy to break it in for you, just pm me for my address, will gladdly pay shipping. :lol:

Weston
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

BullWhipBorton wrote:Hey Craig, Congratulations on getting your Crystal Skull bullwhip, I know how long you’ve been waiting for yours too and how anxious you’ve been to get it. It is a real beauty, in fact I could have sworn I seen it somewhere before :wink: , It amazes me how much these darken up from when they are first finished to when they are delivered. That was great that you could go pick it up in person too.

Enjoy your new whip Craig!

Dan
Thanks, Dan! These last few months have felt like an eternity, but it was definitely worth the wait. I kept going back to the new whip section here and rereading the Delongis article that you wrote, as I sat... patiently. (?) Thanks for helping to answer a few questions along the way as well. Indeed it was great that I was able to meet Colin and pick up the whip in person. I, too, was surprised at how dark the whip was - I was expecting a medium brown color, but I assume that is from a combination of the leather being drum-stuffed and the plaiting soap. Regardless, I'm happy with the color - it's much closer to the color on-screen in CS, and will only darken naturally over time. We swapped out the popper - as many have noted here, Terry's poppers are below average. But as Colin quoted Terry, "I don't make poppers, I just make the whips." :lol:
Weston wrote:Amazing! It looks really stiff. I'd be happy to break it in for you, just pm me for my address, will gladdly pay shipping.

Weston

Weston, thanks for being so selfless and volunteering to help break this whip in. :wink: :lol: :lol: That is definitely something I'm going to be happy to do! :whip: I may have to call in sick from work. <cough> <cough> I think I'm developing a cold right now. :-s :D

-Craig 8-[
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I kind of liked the poppers Terry had on the 3 Jacka bullwhips I bought from Western Stage Props. I thought they were well suited to the size of the whip and they cut leaves pretty well. The poppers might look large to those used to Morgan-sized poppers, but I say a large whip needs a large popper.

I quickly wore out the original poppers, but I replaced them with nylon poppers made as close to the originals as possible.

-Adam
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Hey, I've seen that whip somewhere before, too. Maybe in a movie.

I've seen that guy before, too-- Hey, that's Colin Dangaard.
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

That is one beautiful whip Craig!! And be sure to take care of you health, that cough sounds terrible. Nothing a week or two wouldn't fix I'm sure :wink:
redsleighdown
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by redsleighdown »

Nice whip. Just got mine from Colin as well :)
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

redsleighdown wrote:Nice whip. Just got mine from Colin as well :)
Redsleighdown,

I hope you were as thrilled to get your whip as I was! \:D/ Colin said there were only 6 whips that Terry sent to him - I was wondering who the other 5 orders were for. I know Dan was lucky enough to get one direct from Terry.

Happy cracking!!

-Craig
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Hey Redsleighdown, Congratulations on getting your new Crystal Skull bullwhip too. It’s been a long wait!

Craig I don’t know how lucky I am, I haven’t gotten mine yet! :lol: and with all the permits, the Air Mail shipping & Insurance from Australia and the Aust. dollar going up and up and the U.S dollar dropping, the price came out to be a bout the same anyway. But it has been great talking with Terry and getting an inside look at his methods. I just hope it gets here ok and in the condition it was sent [-o<

Oh and I'm not the only lucky one lol :wink: :-

Dan
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Ahh, I figured that some others here (and elsewhere) have gotten whips direct from Terry. I hope your whip makes it to you soon! I know you'll be very pleased. :notworthy: You must have some great insight into Terry's process. Anything you can share here? 8-[ [-o<

His whips are really quite different from a lot of the other whips I've handled (Morgan, Strain, Bernardo). It brings up the question as to why Morgans and Strains were employed for "Crystal Skull" (even if they were just for practicing - or in the case of one of the Morgan whips, for stunt use) since they handle so differently from these Jacka whips, especially when you factor in Anthony's rolling loop style of whip cracking. The answer might be as simple as you touched on in the Gear section, as they were waiting for the new whips to be made.

-Craig
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

She's a beaut. Enjoy your whip in good health.
Best Regards,
Joe
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Craig,

That's a really nice looking Jacka for sure, congrats! it seems Terry is taking his time with these CS whips -as Dan said he would- and that is good specially taking into account their high price tag. Btw, I just checked the Aussie Saddle website and the price for the 10 ft is back to $900! I wonder if Collin didn't get any more orders after he raised the price to $1200. That price was crazy.

These CS whips look even heavier than the regular Jackas. I have purchased a few weeks ago another long handled Jacka to perform a CS conversion job. This one is slightly lighter than the first I've got, and I like it better overall. I just went out to the backyard to crack it again, only this time it had the handle chopped off (no turk's head yet) and it feels so much better than the original 11" handle. Both Paul and Lauren also tried it and felt it was so much easier and comfortable to crack.

Now I have to do the knob foundation and tie the knots. I like this whip a lot, and I may end up keeping this one.

I am really eager to know what Dan has to say about his new Jacka when it arrives... hopefully soon!

Happy cracking!

Bernardo
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Wow, what a whip! Hopefully with these new images out, we'll get some more Jakaesque whips. The joy of a Jacka is that it is just that. As Louie as done with a Morgan, what makes a KotCS whip? I'm curious.
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Bernardodc wrote:Craig,

That's a really nice looking Jacka for sure, congrats! it seems Terry is taking his time with these CS whips -as Dan said he would- and that is good specially taking into account their high price tag. Btw, I just checked the Aussie Saddle website and the price for the 10 ft is back to $900! I wonder if Collin didn't get any more orders after he raised the price to $1200. That price was crazy.
Bernardo,

Thanks for the compliment! Terry is indeed taking his time making these whips - and looking at the final product, I can see why. You can definitely see the craftsmanship and time that went into making this. From my conversation with Colin, the list of those wanting Terry's whip was continuing to grow, despite the high price tag. The $1,200 price was indeed way to high. The $900 price puts it on par with the Morgan whip. While it is still a high price to pay, now it has the label of being the whip featured in "Crystal Skull."

Bernardodc wrote:These CS whips look even heavier than the regular Jackas. I have purchased a few weeks ago another long handled Jacka to perform a CS conversion job. This one is slightly lighter than the first I've got, and I like it better overall. I just went out to the backyard to crack it again, only this time it had the handle chopped off (no turk's head yet) and it feels so much better than the original 11" handle. Both Paul and Lauren also tried it and felt it was so much easier and comfortable to crack.

Now I have to do the knob foundation and tie the knots. I like this whip a lot, and I may end up keeping this one.

I am really eager to know what Dan has to say about his new Jacka when it arrives... hopefully soon!
I saw the CS-style whip you made for Bardoon - very impressive. I'm also a big fan of your Raiders-style whip. I've heard and read nothing but great things - I need to start saving for one now. I'm very curious to see what you do with the long-handled Jacka - please post some pics here when it's complete. I'm definitely anxious to hear Dan's review when he gets his whip. Until then, happy cracking too! :whip:

Kind regards,
Craig
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Thanks Craig, It’s on its way!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed until it gets here [-o< and will post a review with photos for those interested as soon as I can. Terry has also given me permission to post his ordering and pricing information here on Club Obi-Wan for his 8ft and 10 ft Crystal Skull bullwhips for those who are interested in ordering them directly from The Australian Whip co. So that informaiton will be posted as soon as mine arrives!

Most of what I can share in regarding insight into Terry's process has already been published in the updated main bullwhip section of Indygear and in the De Longis article too.

http://www.indygear.com/igbullwhip.html
http://www.indygear.com/igDeLongis.html

That pretty much explains the hows and whys.

As I understand it, David Morgan was approached for bullwhips early in films preproduction, when they where still going though the costume and prop check list. They did have some older bullwhips which where sent by the Lucas film archives but never used aside from for context reference. Harrison was also sent a couple of David’s bullwhips early in the winter of 2007 to practice with and the safety line stunt bullwhips where ordered too as they knew they would be needed for filming. There where also some ordered for the early promotional work.

I believe that was long before Anthony De Loingis was brought in. Once Harrison hired in Anthony to train with, that’s when Terry’s whips were recommended. That was in June of 07 I think, so he had to hustle to get them the whips in time and since they didn’t have them in time at the start of the training so they started using the Morgan bullwhips they had on hand. It was thought that there would be a lot more whip work in the film and Harrison’s training was much more extensive then what ended up being needed but Terry’s characteristic reinforced thong and progressive flexibility has some considerable advantages in Anthony’s style of whip handling, which is why he likes them. In hindsight though for what was done in the film the Morgan whips would have worked perfectly as well.

I think the Strain whips where more a forethought in production. There where only 6 or 7 Jacka whips made for the film, so when it was decided the the stunt personnel needed or wanted their own bullwhips, rather then waiting to have them made in Australian, they ordered the whips from Western Stage props. I have never been able to get a clear answer to that question though, so there may be more too it.

Dan
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

BullWhipBorton wrote:Thanks Craig, It’s on its way!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed until it gets here [-o< and will post a review with photos for those interested as soon as I can. Terry has also given me permission to post his ordering and pricing information here on Club Obi-Wan for his 8ft and 10 ft Crystal Skull bullwhips for those who are interested in ordering them directly from The Australian Whip co. So that informaiton will be posted as soon as mine arrives!

Dan
Dan,

Glad to hear your whip is finally on its' way! And that is great news about The Australian Whip Co. and IndyGear!!! Congrats to you for working out that arrangement - I know you've been in talks with Terry for quite some time. I'm glad to see your efforts have finally paid off! It's even better news to all the members here who want a CS whip from the man himself. :notworthy: :whip:

And thanks for confirming what I believed was the backstory of the CS whips. Indeed, these details all seem to match up with the timeline of the film and the production/marketing photographs that were released. I noticed, in "The Complete Making of Indiana Jones" book, there is a still photo of Harrison using the whip against the Cemetery warrior in the Cemetery sequence of "Crystal Skull." I've noticed a few other "cut" shots and sequences from the film. So let's hope this footage makes it's way to the DVD release. With all the whip training for this film, I certainly hope there were more scenes shot than what made it into the final film. [-o<

-Craig
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Thanks.

I am not sure if you seen this thread but i posted some links to some of the behind the scenes footage of Harrison using the CS whip.
viewtopic.php?t=29877

Dan
Andymac84
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Andymac84 »

Oh wow! Looks great man. Congrats to that beauty!
I would add a black cracker, but that's just my opinion ;-)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

that whip looks awesome! can i have it? :P

congrats to you on your purchase....it looks exactly as what is worn on ford's hip.

i'm in the market for a CS whip and i was contemplating the many options to go with.........louie, bernardo, joe strain, jacka from WSP, a jacka conversion by bernardo.......i ended up deciding that i wouldn't be happy unless i have thre real mccoy. i hope to be as happy as you one day.......already got the green light from the wife...whew!!!! :D
myrddin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by myrddin »

Indiana G wrote:already got the green light from the wife...whew!!!! :D
Wow. Congrats!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

myrddin wrote:
Indiana G wrote:already got the green light from the wife...whew!!!! :D
Wow. Congrats!
...she could only take my whining for so long in the wee hours of the morning :lol:
myrddin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by myrddin »

lol
You wore her down. Good man.

I just had to bring it up every six months or so for a few years and then finally said, "We have this economic stimulus check. Let's give part of it to an American craftsman." :D

My whip should arrive next week... :whip:
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

BullWhipBorton wrote:Thanks.

I am not sure if you seen this thread but i posted some links to some of the behind the scenes footage of Harrison using the CS whip.
viewtopic.php?t=29877

Dan
Thanks, Dan! I missed that thread. And yep, that's the pic I was referring to. I didn't know about the bolo/whip move - that would have been a great addition to the film. I think that if they added a few nice whip moves like that throughout the film, my overall opinion of the film would have gone up. But, this is a bit off-topic, so I digress. I hear that it's your birthday tomorrow! I can't think of a better birthday present than to receive you TJ whip! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that it arrives this week.:D
Andymac84 wrote:Oh wow! Looks great man. Congrats to that beauty!
I would add a black cracker, but that's just my opinion ;-)
Andymac,

You read my mind. I'm going to put one of my extra black Morgan poppers on this whip and keep the overall dark tone of the whip consistent. The white & blue popper just doesn't do it for me aesthetically.

To all others who have commented here, thanks for your praise. Indeed, I am thrilled to own this whip. I highly recommend purchasing one if you get the chance... and approval, for some :wink:

-Craig
Andymac84
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Andymac84 »

Of course man, we're all raiders ;-)
jm986
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Reference pics

Post by jm986 »

I am very curious about how this whip differs/compares to other Indy whips. I would love to see pics of this up next to a David Morgan whip to see how they really differ.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Reference pics

Post by Indiana G »

jm986 wrote:I am very curious about how this whip differs/compares to other Indy whips. I would love to see pics of this up next to a David Morgan whip to see how they really differ.
bernardo posted some nice pics here of the 2 different strand styles:

viewtopic.php?t=32103
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Thanks Craig I apprecate that. Hopefully my whip will arrive safe and sound this week. I agree with you, I would have liked to see them use the whip more in those types of situations in the film. Have you been working with your new whip much?

jm986, Hopefully we can get some comparison shots of The Morgan with The Jacka Indy bullwhips later this week.

Dan
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Reference pics

Post by serrecuir »

jm986 wrote:I am very curious about how this whip differs/compares to other Indy whips. I would love to see pics of this up next to a David Morgan whip to see how they really differ.
jm986,

Ask and ye shall receive. Here are a few pics of my 10' Morgan whip from 2007 next to my new 10' Jacka CS whip. I'm sure Dan will post some more thorough pics along with his review, when he gets his Jacka. In the meantime, hopefully these will tide you over. The Jacka whip is significantly thicker than the Morgan whip (which you can see in the 3rd pic), and it's actually about 11" longer before the fall. The fall is 5" longer as well, so the Jacka whip measures in at an even 14' from the butt of the handle to the tip of the popper, while the Morgan measures 12'8" overall.

-Craig

jm986
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Thanks very much

Post by jm986 »

Thanks very much for the new pics, you guys are awsome
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Those are two magnificent beasts!

Weston
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

The Jacka whips I have are all considerably thicker than many other whips- it's one of the things I like about Jacka's whips.
weaponx24
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by weaponx24 »

Man! That thing looks solid! Im going to save some money and try to order one from Mr. Jacka I think! Beautiful whip man!
Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bardoon »

I've spoken about this before but you can clearly notice the difference in the handles from the Morgan to the Jacka.

I actually prefer the Morgan-style handle because the Turk's head knot is a natural flow from the handle to the tear-drop shape. When I grip my Joe Strain RAIDERS' whips, I feel a much more comfortable grip with that sort of style and the way I hold my whips.

The Jacka's handle is bigger (I have a Del Carpio KotCS), much like the Last Crusade whip, but you notice his Turk's head knot has a clear "step" coming off from the handle. This doesn't affect my cracking at all, but I don't prefer the knot style as much as the Morgan-style when I grip the whip.

Still, both are MAGNIFICENT pieces of work and you're lucky to own both Craig!
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Bardoon wrote:I've spoken about this before but you can clearly notice the difference in the handles from the Morgan to the Jacka.

Still, both are MAGNIFICENT pieces of work and you're lucky to own both Craig!
Bardoon,

Thank you kindly! I've had a lot of fun with these whips and am thrilled to own both of them. As you wrote, they are both very different whips with different methods of construction, and they perform accordingly. I too am a fan of the Morgan-style handle. This may be due, in part, to my comfort with this style of whip, having owned this Morgan for a year and a half, and a Strain whip for 3 years prior to that.

But I'm growing much more comfortable with the Jacka whip. Every time I pick it up, it feels like I'm holding a spring-loaded weapon. It can be intimidating because of the size compared to the Morgan, but the Jacka is incredibly easy to crack - it takes the smallest amount of effort, like Anthony demonstrates with his "rolling loop" style of whipcracking - gravity does all the work.

Kind regards,
Craig