Del Carpio 8 Ft. KOTCS Bullwhip - Thanks Bernardo!!!!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Del Carpio 8 Ft. KOTCS Bullwhip - Thanks Bernardo!!!!

Post by Bardoon »

Just got this in this past Saturday! Beautiful whip by Bernardo with a lovely whiskey color and black knots just like in "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". It handles extremely well and I can assure you that in my backyard you would still think it's 4th of July when I'm swinging away.

COMPARISON WITH MY "RAIDERS" WHIP (9 ft. Joe Strain)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/D ... G_0245.jpg

"IN-HAND" SHOTS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/D ... G_0248.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/D ... G_0249.jpg

This whip was initially ordered as a 9 Ft. KotCS but I decided to change the length and contacted Bernardo about that. Thankfully he hadn't started and was more than happy to make the change. Bernardo was in constant contact with me and was great to talk to just about anything with. Once again, here's another tip of the fedora and a huge 'thank you' to a great talent and whipmaker.

THANK YOU BERNARDO!!!!
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Beautiful!! I'm trying to get ahold of him right now so I can order a Raiders whip for the QM :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Your pictures just make me more and more anxious!! Out of curiousity, what was the wait time when you ordered?

Shane
Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bardoon »

Thanks Shane!

And thank you for your advice as well once again. I have the flick down now thanks to you!

It's much easier to do a Figure-8 with a 8 ft. Bullwhip as well. That extra foot on my Raiders was hard to keep in the air (though some of my overhead variation cracks look spectacular on my longer whip).

I ordered the whip in late April...received in-hand around mid-July. So it's been about 3 months give-or-take turn-around time.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Oh, awesome! :lol: :tup:

Wow, well I hope he gets back to me soon! I really want the whip within the next 4 months! :shock: [-o<

The only hope is he's been catching up on orders, and not falling behind!

Shane
thatguyno1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thatguyno1 »

That's a great looking whip. Makes me even more anxious to get my 10' KotCS from Bernardo. I think he was working on mine right after yours so it shouldn't be long now. I know what you mean about the overhead cattleman's crack. My 10' Strain is really loud.

Paul ô¿ô
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Gorgeous Indy 4 whip!! The handle profile and knots looks perfect to me. That Strain looks also a great beauty. Well done!
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Very impressive, both look great.

Dan
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I am so Jaelous! :evil: :lol:

bests
Holt
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Wow, those in-hand shots really show off the color much better (at least on my LCD screen).

You make a good point about the differences in length.

Beautiful whip!

What does he use as the handle core on the KotCS?
RobocopIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RobocopIndy »

I ordered my 8ft Raiders today! Bernardo says I'll have it by October. I hope 8ft is the right decision. :)
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

The color of that Strain is just beautiful! THAT's the color I want my Bernardo to be! :lol:

I ordered mine yesterday!

Shane
Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bardoon »

Mannie Bothans wrote: What does he use as the handle core on the KotCS?
I don't know :? Maybe Bernardo will grace us here and answer that!

Okay, I'm going to speak on the design and shape of the handle and that Turk's head knot. I know some of this has been brought up before in previous discussions.

This is by NO means a criticism of Bernardo's or even Jacka's work but more of an observance.

The boxy, rectangular shape of the Turk's head is awkward and not as comfortable as the traditional Indy whip. It leaves me scratching my head over why DeLongis and the filmmakers chose Jacka's whip. Granted, I am a BEGINNING whip-cracker and no way, no how have I got the experience they do but I can at least wrap my hand around the handle and knot and compare which one is comfortable after several cracks. I usually keep a grip of 2-3 fingers on the Turk's head and always my index finger and thumb along the bottom of the handle. I also have somewhat small hands. Of course this all might be a null point once the leather better conforms to my hand.

However, cracking is a sheer joy. So thanks once again everyone!

Shane, my Strain is darkening up very nicely...I make a point to make sure it gets a little sun when I go out cracking with it.

Robocop, 8 Ft. should be perfectly fine. It is the right length to get multiple techniques out of. Like I said, my first whip above is a 9 footer and I would struggle with some cracks that kept the whip close to the ground (like the Figure-8) however, some cracks look cool with the extra length.

Hope you get your whip soon Paul! Don't forget to post pics when you do!
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

Bardoon wrote: "The boxy, rectangular shape of the Turk's head is awkward and not as comfortable as the traditional Indy whip."

I agree completely. I have always felt that the "traditional" Indy style knot was more comfortable, more suited to my style of gripping the handle. The boxy shape just doesn't feel right. Maybe, in time, I could learn to like it.

There is no question that Bernardo has produced another beautiful looking whip. Congratulations Bardoon.
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Not disagreeing with anyone, just recording the observation that I've cracked the Jacka Indy 4, a DM, and a del Carpio Raiders, and all are great in my opinion. I find no problems with the differing shape of the butt knot, though I appreciate that others might. And this is after I started cracking whips by holding the butt knot, like Lauren, Dan, Shane and others recommended. I really like the shape of both Indy 4 and original DM style TH butt knots. Indy 4 whipmakers, keep coming out with that wonderful Jacka look! Some people out there love it.
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

From the new pictures we have an an IV whip, looks like a regular Indy with different colors. But a wonderful whip nonetheless
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Bardoon,

I am sorry for the delay in posting back, but I am really crazy busy with all the whips I have to make. I barely have time for emails, much less for posting. But I am happy because I am finally catching up with my orders.

Thanks a lot for the rave review and those excellent compasion pics. Your 9ft Strain looks great, and reminds me of my new 8ft Strain. I also prefer 8 footers to any other length.

Mannie,

If by handle core you mean the handle foundation, then I use the same 8 inch steel spike as my regular Indy whips. In a way, my CS bullwhips are designed to look like a CS Jacka, but they have a Morgan-like construction and handling, which is what I prefer. I didn't want to copy Terry's whips handling or construction, simply because I like the Morgan style better. That said, I respect Terry's ideas on how a whip hould be made and how it should handle, and respect those who like his whips too.

Paul ô¿ô,

Your new whip arrived today, so hopefully you'll be able to crack it soon. Let me know if you like it. Here's a teaser pic :wink:

Regards,

Bernardo

Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

ah wow!
Bernardo! you have me all excited about getting my new whip!
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Yours comes next my friend! :-)
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Bernardodc wrote:Yours comes next my friend! :-)

:-)

Ohyeh!
gotta start warming the video camera up!
weaponx24
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by weaponx24 »

i cant see any of the pics because im stuck at work...but im going to view them as soon as i get home...i was in contact with bernardo about purchasing one of his whips and he said that he was a little behind on orders and that if i ordered today i should have it by october...so im still contemplating it...
thatguyno1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thatguyno1 »

Bernardodc wrote:Bardoon,

Paul ô¿ô,

Your new whip arrived today, so hopefully you'll be able to crack it soon. Let me know if you like it. Here's a teaser pic :wink:

Regards,

Bernardo

I picked up the box at the PO on Saturday. It was torture knowing it was there and I can't get home from work before they close. I picked it up and have posted pic's of it with my Strain and the 14" Wickline.

viewtopic.php?t=32519

Paul ô¿ô
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

OK, but if you get it done before Annie Oakley Days, you CAN'T ship it to David yet, because I've got to try it out first!

Huh? Why? Oh that's simple! Because....

Um...

Because....

Ahhhhhh......

OH!

It was my suggestion that he order a whip from you in the first place, and so therefore, I want to make sure that I gave him the right advice...You know...to protect my spotless reputation...and...

...Ummm....

...Oh YEAH!

He just got a Strain, for cryin' out loud! That's just too much! Whips are like good wine. He needs to cleanse his palate of the Strain before he can appreciate the beauty and grace of a DelCarpio whip...

...And ummm...

...Nevermind. I probably lost ya with that "Spotless Reputation" line anyway...

:twisted: :twisted:

Scoundrel? I like the sound of that...

By the way Bardoon and ThatGuyNo1, beautiful whips you got there! Enjoy them! Beautiful work as always, Bernardo! :clap: :clap:

All the best,

-D
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

thefish wrote:
OK, but if you get it done before Annie Oakley Days, you CAN'T ship it to David yet, because I've got to try it out first!

It was my suggestion that he order a whip from you in the first place,

He just got a Strain, for cryin' out loud! That's just too much! Whips are like good wine. He needs to cleanse his palate of the Strain before he can appreciate the beauty and grace of a DelCarpio whip...

-D

ya know.... if anyone else asked to TOUCH my whip, they'd probably regret it...

BUUUUUUUUUT...........

since its YOU........

Bernardo........ IF (and only if) you are finished with it in time..... then i SUPPOSE you can let Dan touch it...... but not too much!

......dont want it smellin all.......fishy......... lol