What is the "4 corners" called?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

What is the "4 corners" called?

Post by Mannie Bothans »

What is the name of the "new" four corners (or four pointer) and how is it spelled? Hassock's, Hassett's, Hasert's, Hasot's, Hassit's.

(When I visted the Midwest Whips shop, Paul Nolan did an impressive four-corner combo that combined flicks and cracks in all four corners in an overhead plane, and I don't even know the name of it -- but it was AWESOME.)

Mike Murphy does it at the end of his Fundamental Whipcracking Techniques video (and notes how it is different from the original), but I am unable to discern the person's name he uses to describe the one that is "easier" to do double-handed (easier for him, maybe).
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

HASSET or HASSETT?

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Nevermind... found it on the Deuling Whips DVD.

In one place it is listed as "Hasset's" and in another it is called "Hassett's."

Mannie Bothans wrote:What is the name of the "new" four corners (or four pointer) and how is it spelled? Hassock's, Hassett's, Hasert's, Hasot's, Hassit's.

(When I visted the Midwest Whips shop, Paul Nolan did an impressive four-corner combo that combined flicks and cracks in all four corners in an overhead plane, and I don't even know the name of it -- but it was AWESOME.)

Mike Murphy does it at the end of his Fundamental Whipcracking Techniques video (and notes how it is different from the original), but I am unable to discern the person's name he uses to describe the one that is "easier" to do double-handed (easier for him, maybe).
bluzharp
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bluzharp »

I've seen that too. I can't remember what length, type whip it was??
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: What is the "4 corners" called?

Post by hollywood1340 »

Mannie Bothans wrote: (When I visted the Midwest Whips shop, Paul Nolan did an impressive four-corner combo that combined flicks and cracks in all four corners in an overhead plane, and I don't even know the name of it -- but it was AWESOME.)
Could we get a video Mr. Nolan?
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

bluzharp wrote:I've seen that too. I can't remember what length, type whip it was??
Murphy was using a stockwhip in the DVD. At the end of the DVD when Mike does the single-whip, above-the-head four-corners, that's just what Paul did after our lesson while I was just chatting with him and with Lauren. Both Paul (in person) and Mike (on the DVD) just picked up the whip and did this thing like they could have done it in their sleep. In the DVD, Murphy went on to do a two-whip four-corner routine (in two different planes).

While we were in the park near their house, Paul was using an Indy-style bullwhip (probably a vintage Morgan) to do the four corners, but I don't remember if it was the 7 footer or the 8 footer, but I don't think it was the 10-footer.
deadringer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by deadringer »

G'day Mannie,
It is Called Hassett's Four corners This trick was originally performed By Dan Hassett, single handed then later , his son Charlie Hassett perfected the routine with 2 hands. I have a short video of Charlie (Now 70) performing this trick, that I took when visiting with him a couple of weeks ago ,I will try to put it on our website shortly If there is anyone interested .
Cheers
Chris Barr
www.deadringer.com.au
Kiscien
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kiscien »

Hi,

i'm interested :)

Regards,
Karol
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Oh, very interested indeed!

I am such a "newbie" to all of this, that I cannot tell you how much it means to be able to learn so much from the real "masters" of the art. I finally got to see one of your whips in person when I visited midwest whips a little while back. Amazing indeed.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

uhoh! a new trick i have to learn...

show me Paul!
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Hey Guys,

I shot a quick video the other day of me improvising a routine where I started out by building on basic cracks, and ending with Hassett's 4 corners. I did the editing today in a way to show each crack separately and then the final product. I should have it uploaded sometime tomorrow.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com

PS-I've been having some server trouble with my whipmaker@midwestwhips.com email address, so if anyone has tried to email me today it would be a good idea to resend the email in the next day or so. I have been told that it will hopefully be back in perfect working order in the next 24 hours or so.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Paul,
I cant wait!

yippee! something new to work on!
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

wach on this guy, (hi is great) on about 1:02 min, (after arrow heads) hi show 4 corners (if I good think)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjtYfx3xDUY&feature=user
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Hey Guys,

I just posted about the video with a link:

viewtopic.php?t=32514

Shagbad,

Hassett's 4 corners is a tough routine, it took a few years to learn it. I will say that it helped a lot to learn overhead volleys, and then learn the slow helicopter, and then the fast helicopter, and then Hassett's 4 corners. It takes some time. Check out Mike Murphy's Fundemental Whipcracking Techniques video, I think it's all in there.

Kooniu,

Thanks for posting that video, Sam is getting very good!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

midwestwhips wrote:Hey Guys,

Shagbad,

Hassett's 4 corners is a tough routine, it took a few years to learn it. I will say that it helped a lot to learn overhead volleys, and then learn the slow helicopter, and then the fast helicopter, and then Hassett's 4 corners. It takes some time. Check out Mike Murphy's Fundemental Whipcracking Techniques video, I think it's all in there.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com

lets see.... so by my calculations should take me about 35 minutes to learn eh? hahahahahhaha

<<<<<<< me being cockier than i need to be lol
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to check out these videos (I am on the road and my phone will browse the Internet but it can't access YouTube).

You guys are amazing!