Indy bullwhip kit

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

ST
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Indy bullwhip kit

Post by ST »

Hey, I was just on Murphy whips and he has a new Indy whip kit. http://www.murphywhips.com/MW03I005Indy ... aking.html :lol: Cool eh :wink:
Andymac84
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Andymac84 »

Yep, that's very cool. But I believe its not easy to bind a whip....
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

The only thing you will really learn with that is how to plait.
The easiest part of whipmaking IMHO.
You can do that with nylon cord for a lot less.
Ron
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

"plaiting instructional booklet guiding you through the whole braiding process and all the whip components are pre-cut - no cutting and preparation needed. "

You dont agree that plaiting is the easiest part or what?
jabahutt70
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jabahutt70 »

I have to agree with Tony here, as I believe there's much more to learn from Murphy's video than just plaiting. Besides, has anyone here actually ordered it? It's a common mistake many people make in evaluating a product, whether it's a physical product or informational one, to judge the worth of something without actually seeing it and reviewing it firsthand.

If you read a little further on that same page on Mike Murphy's site, it reads:

"This advanced whip making kit is the natural progression from learning the fundamentals of whip braiding skills taught in the Cowhide Stock Whipmaking Kit. If you've had little or no braiding experience we suggest you start first with our stockwhip making kit."

If he says it's an "advanced whip making kit," then I have to believe he gives a lot more valuable info on whip making than just the plaiting process. I've communicated with Mike several times through emails on whipmaking techniques & theories, and I'm sure some of that info is in this kit also.

As far as what the "easiest" part of whipmaking is...I agree with Tony again, as different aspects of the whole process are viewed differently by different people on what's the easiest or most difficult part of whipmaking. When it comes to nylon whips, which is primarily what I build, but not limited to, the easiest part of that is measuring and cutting the pre-sized cord for the plaiting.

I'm not ganging up on you Ron, so forgive me if it seems that way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm just throwin' in my bit or two.

Steve.
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

I don't feel ganged up on at all, I was stating my opinion which is 100% true for me.
You are entitled to yours.
Everything mentioned with the exception of the soap is also necessary or optional in a nylon whip that cost 30 dollars to make.
Also there is no "fancy" plaiting in this kit. Two simple repetitive formulas easily grasped by anyone in about 15 minutes. (not to say they can master it, but grasp the concept and formulas).
As for me, Simple two tones and checkerboards and double diamonds is as fancy as I get, or am interested in. I have goofed around and done birds eyes and the like but it didn't interest me enough to pursue it further. Mad props to you if you can Plait your name in your whips, but I'll never do it. You wont be doing it with this kit either. I will forever leave that to guys like Victor Tella www.snakewhip.com(unreal crazy good).

All I am saying is that a $500 learning curve is a bit steep for most folks. And they should be darn sure they like it first.

If you are going this route why not spend the same $ on a completed whip, un braid it then re braid it? At least you will know what it is supposed to look like finished.

Determining the cut lengths when I was starting out was harder than plaiting for me...granted now I just strip what I need using "arms" lengths as a guide. So it is easier than plaiting now, but was not then.
My 2 cents.
Ron
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

PS...
Jabbahut I have seen some of your nylons on the bay lately.
"TIps hat", Nice whips mister. :)
Ron
jabahutt70
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jabahutt70 »

Thanks Ron, much appreciated! I'm glad you didn't feel "ganged up on." Sometimes in forums the tone of the written word isn't translated as easily as the form is. But that's what makes forums and this country great, differing opinions! Keep up the good work on your whips and hope you stay busy!

Steve.