LL Bean pants

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

LL Bean pants

Post by Anderson »

I have a pair of Wested pants coming with my jacket, but since Wested is a bit spotty with their deliveries and I don't know if I'll have the pants in time for when I need them, I've been looking at the LL Bean options as an emergency buy.

The two options I've seen on here are the microfibers in taupe and the dress chinos in dark khaki. I have two questions: does anyone have pictures of both pants with their gear (Todd's shirt, hopefully?) and which would be better in the heat? I'll be outside for 6 hours in direct sunlight in the Texas climate.

Thanks!
MR
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

If you have a Steve and Barry's near you, you might get lucky with a pair of their "Rugged Chinos." They have a button fly, and flap pockets, but I think they might be last years model or something, because neither of the stores I went to had too great of a selection. I ended up getting a really light color in a size too big. But you never know. I believe J!M also bought a pair...

-KB :)

Edit: I must note that I've never owned the LL Beans, because I couldn't quite afford them, but the Steve and Barry's Pants are about $11.
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

I'd go for the taupe microfiber pants, personally. The LL Bean dark khaki isn't very dark, so I don't think you'd get the proper contrast between the shirt and pants.
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

The thread at viewtopic.php?t=28830&highlight=ll+bean

shows taupe vs heritage khaki.

What I'd like to see is a pic of taupe wool vs taupe microfiber. I wish the microfiber had more red in them.
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but a while back I took a pic with all the "Indy-like" pants I had handy.

From Left to Right: LL Bean wool twill in taupe (no longer made), LL Bean dress chinos in sepia (no longer made), Target khakis, LL Bean dress chinos in dark khaki. Across the top of all of them: Wested's Indiana Jones pants.

Hope this helps at least a little!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I would recommend the microfiber LL Beans. The color is probably the closest you can get off-the-rack, and they drape really nice. I have a pair, and they are fairly comfortable in the heat. I also have the dress chinos, but I now prefer the microfiber versions. Unfortunately, I do not have a single picture of me wearing them. I don't know how that's happened, but it has. :roll:

Point is, they are your best option, and the dress chinos are second best if you find the microfiber too expensive.
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Of course, the other question is how soon do you need the pants?

If you already have a pair of Wested's coming it might not make a lot of sense to buy a $70 pair of "close enough" pants as a stop gap for when the $100 pair show up.

I ordered my jacket and pants separately, I think the jacket took four weeks from order to in my hands and the pants took more like three weeks. In my two experiences with them the jacket arrived exactly as specified in their estimate, and the pants arrived a week sooner than they estimated.
Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Anderson »

I ordered them on June 2nd along with a jacket, and Gemma assured me they'd be here by the time I need them- July 26th- but since communicated with wested has been a little difficult I'm checking my other options. Its still two weeks out, of course, but if they arent here by the week of I'll go buy the other pair.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I also have a pair of Taupe LL Bean microfiber pants and love them. Of course they were about $70-80. I got them due to the color but also the back flap pocket which a lot of chino khaki pants I see only have the button-through back pocket style.
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

Just an FYI- As far as shipping on the Wested pants goes, check this out........ I ordered a pair of size 36 pants on 07/08, and they were delivered on 07/11 :shock: . That's from the UK to Phoenix, AZ!!!!
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

WinstonWolf359 wrote:...LL Bean dress chinos in dark khaki.
That's supposed to be dark khaki? I was going to buy a pair because they don't have the microfiber pants in my length, but now...I suppose I could get a couple boxes of Rit taupe dye and test my dyeing skills... :?
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Zombie Jones wrote:
WinstonWolf359 wrote:...LL Bean dress chinos in dark khaki.
That's supposed to be dark khaki? I was going to buy a pair because they don't have the microfiber pants in my length, but now...I suppose I could get a couple boxes of Rit taupe dye and test my dyeing skills... :?
Yeah, like most things the colors are kinda relative. I certainly wouldn't call that dark, but compared to what Bean calls plain old regular khaki, it certainly is darker.

I personally think dying is a pain anyway, but the dress chinos are also treated to be stain resistant, so I'm not sure how easily they'll take dye. You might be better off getting the microfiber pants in a longer length and hemming up the extra. Their taupe is a nice color, even if it is lacking that slight bit of pink.
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

WinstonWolf359 wrote:I personally think dying is a pain anyway, but the dress chinos are also treated to be stain resistant, so I'm not sure how easily they'll take dye.
I had noticed the "stain resistant" comment and wondered if this would hinder the dyeing process in any way. But there is a difference between "stain resistant" and "stain proof", so as long as the fabric will absorb water dyeing should work. Besides, my options are limited; I can't afford or rationalize spending $95-110 for a pair of Wested's or Magnoli's pants.
WinstonWolf359 wrote:You might be better off getting the microfiber pants in a longer length and hemming up the extra. Their taupe is a nice color, even if it is lacking that slight bit of pink.
I wish it were that simple. The problem I face is that the microfiber are offered in a maximum inseam length of 34", and at 6'1" I need a 36" length. Image