wanna take a look at the perfect TOD jacket?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Holt
Craftsman

wanna take a look at the perfect TOD jacket?

Post by Holt »

then take alook at this one....

look no further boys and girls...if you are a fan of the ToD jacket then get one from my good friend Magnoli :tup:

here it is....

take a look how the collar sits on this jacket...exacly like the one in the movie.the pockets, color, hide, length, slimmer torso cut, the zipper, collar,
backpannel, yoke, side straps..etc...all PERFECT!!

here she is...

Edit

bests
Holt
Last edited by Holt on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Looks great, Holt. What brand of Zipper does he use?

Cheers
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Thanks for posting this, Holt. Since my long term goal is to get a jacket styled after each movie, I have heard that Magnoli makes the best TOD jacket and that is a great example.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

here is how it looks like with more gear.

I think this jacket rocks! the look of the jacket with gear makes it look even more ToD

see how it stays open around the chest and slim in the torso.....this is how it looks on me all the time...just like in the movies

wow Magnoli...you did it!

ohh sorry for my bored face...it's really hot tonight...and my head is loaded with school work.

bests
Holt
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I take it that's lamb then?

If you wouldn't mind and could find the time, would you mind to find the time to shoot some shots with jacket shut and being outside, non-flash? 8)

What's the colour compared to authentic Wested colour?

Ah, gear talk, t'is poetry in a sence. Ah! :D

;)

It does look great on ya', Holt!

Regards,
Swindiana
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thanks.

actually the color of those pictures is how it almost looks in person.its a dark brown color...much darker then the westeds authentic brown..much darker...perfect for ToD IMO

yes its lamb...but a thick lambskin

I'll see if I can take some outside pictures on friday :wink:

bests
Holt
LordxHelmetx
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by LordxHelmetx »

Hey holt,
The drape of the jacket is perfect and the zipper aint bad either. But that looks really black from the pics. It could just be the pic itself, but it does look too black for my taste. other than that, not too shabby.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Looks great, Holt! How long did it take you to order from Magnoli? (They seem to take a long time for all their custom stuff). Are you able to zip-up without being too tight? BTW, are you working-out?.....you look pretty buff in that photo! :wink:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I dont know how long it took before it came to me..a month?five weeks?
cant remember...

yws no problem zipping it up...it is not to thight at all...but I think I am gonna wear this the summer time so I can wear it ToD style...(open jacket)

yes I work out and keeping in shape by doing martial arts for 10+years now

thanks BTW
Eric
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indiana Holt wrote:here is how it looks like with more gear.

I think this jacket rocks! the look of the jacket with gear makes it look even more ToD

see how it stays open around the chest and slim in the torso.....this is how it looks on me all the time...just like in the movies

wow Magnoli...you did it!

ohh sorry for my bored face...it's really hot tonight...and my head is loaded with school work.

bests
Holt
Whay brand of zip, Holt? Does Magnoli use YKK's?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I think he uses the same as the one in the original ToD jacket

It says YKK on it...but it is bigger then normal zippers I have seen on jackets.

so I guess yes...its the same as the original..

maby Magnoli can chim in here and shed some light

bests
Holt
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I just rechecked it.

it says 10 YKK on the back of the zipper

bests
Holt
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Thanks. It sounds like Mgnoli uses pretty good materials.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

That IS the Temple of Doom! Amazing jacket Holt!

Weston
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

The cut looks great Holt but on my screen, the colour looks black.
Having seen Noel Howard's original Temple of Doom jacket, I can tell you it was a lot lighter than how your jacket is appearing in these pics. I've got a pic that I took of my Wested lambskin next to the Temple of Doom jacket. Here it is:

Chris
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

Great looking jacket. Nice color and drape too. I really like the taper in the arms. You have got a helluva jacket.
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Really beautiful jacket, but hey, where's the hat ??? :lol:
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Cassidy »

Looks great. Now beat the living snot out of it and it'll look even better.
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Chris_King wrote:The cut looks great Holt but on my screen, the colour looks black.
Having seen Noel Howard's original Temple of Doom jacket, I can tell you it was a lot lighter than how your jacket is appearing in these pics. I've got a pic that I took of my Wested lambskin next to the Temple of Doom jacket. Here it is:

Chris
Took the words right out of my mouth. That jacket looks great, but appears too dark to be SA. Most of the screenshots from TOD I was looking at over on TheRaider show the jacket to be much lighter in color. Perhaps some heavy distressing would make it look more SA. How does the jacket look and fit zippered?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yeah but the color is a dark brown color not authentic brown.

but I actually find the color as to what I see on screen.in many scenes the jacket looks pretty dark and some scenes looks pretty distressd brown..

bests
Holt
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Looks great! It looks like a G&B to me both in color and make. She is a keeper.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Lighting, filters and distressing can do amazing things to our perception of color. This screenshot that I took from Terminator 2: Judgment Day illustrates that a black jacket can appear very brown - just like a brown hat can appear gray.

Not to say that the Magnoli jacket is/is not the "correct" color. I realize that the NH jacket in that photo is taken in the same lighting as the Wested, but it is a NEW(ish) Wested. I would expect a newer jacket to be darker.

I think the jacket cut, color and details of Magnoli Clothiers jacket look fantastic. Now if someone wants to sandblast, soak, acetone, wire brush and otherwise distress a Magnoli jacket, then we can start talking apples to apples. Any takers? :lol:

Or better, if you can get a picture of the NH jacket when it was brand new - on the hanger...
CairoIndy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CairoIndy »

That's a nice looking jacket,Holt-IM's nailed the TOD look..how is the fit when it is zipped-up?,the movie jacket is never zipped up but in real life a jacket needs to be zipped up comfortably.Also,I think it is too dark,I don't think the TOD jacket was any darker than the Raiders IMO.
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

that is a good looking temple jacket but i think mine looks even better...

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

is that a ToD jacket?

the pockets are to big.it has a X-box stitch.the jacket has a seam at the hem.and it looks like it has a smaller yoke.

no offence but to me that looks like a raiders with a longer back length

bests
IH
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

i asked for the x-box. the pockets arent that big, they may just look it because im not wearing it.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

ohh,ok....I see...

I am glad your happy with yours :D

H
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Great lookin' jacket Holt, perhaps a little too dark but still very cool. To be more accurate I think Magnoli should start including heavily grained leather at the upper sleeves of his ToD jackets. Those pieces are often discarded but are very characteristic of the movie jacket. I have a custom Todd's costume jacket that I call my ToD jacket, even though it's essentially a raiders pattern it still has a very similar look to the jacket from the ToD movie mostly because of the prewashed lambskin, but also because of the fit.

Doug C
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

that is a cool jacket. I don't remember seeing, are you going to distress it or are you going to let it distress on it's own. With seeing everyones new jackets it makes me want to get one from every film too,we will see.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Sooooo...not one vendor has yet attempted to replicate the real TOD side vent configuration?

The smaller pockets, pointier collar tips and lower yoke isn't all that makes up the TOD jacket. Attention must be paid to all details. It's just not a TOD jacket until it's really a TOD jacket.

Overall though, it looks nice.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Those are REAL high sidestraps! From the pictures, they look as if they are almost aligned with the press studs on the pockets! :shock:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

here is how the side straps look like

it looks like the ToD jacket sidestraps attachment to me...

agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Open up the side vent and see if it looks identical to the pic above. Not the strap, that looks fine, but the side vent configuration. I'm not knocking your jacket, just the fact that nobody has made a thorough TOD jacket yet.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Looks too like Magnoli should make a double stitched seam where he's got that simple one stitch one, running down the side. Holt your jacket is awesome so don't take it wrong..I'd love to have it myself. Just noticing the differences. So is the bottom of the vent configured like a normal Indy jacket or like the pictures agent5 posted?

Doug C
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

no..I am not taking it like that :wink: ...I actually see what you mean now A5.you mean the open/no pleats configiriation..right?

yeah..I see it..but ahh well,would be cool to have that.....but its an awesome jacket anyways.. :D

bests
Holt
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

yeah..I see it..but ahh well,would be cool to have that.....but its an awesome jacket anyways..
Exactly. It looks great. I've heard nothing but praise for Magnoli's clothing line.
Doeindy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Essex, England (Ole U.K.) were the rain forever falls. 29 mins down the road from Wested leather!

Post by Doeindy »

Holt.

That is a top notch jacket; and it suits you very well. I like how tight the arm width is on you; that is one of the things that stand out to me with the TOD. If I could get another jacket; the TOD would be it. I love the colour of the leather too.

Well done pal,

Paul.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thanks

here are some outside pictures of it.

I know many people here see it as a black color for a ToD jacket....but I love the color....

I have always liked the ToD jacket better as a darker jacket anyways..
like this:
ImageImage

if you take a look at the construction of this jacket you will see that it is amazing.I love the SA look of the collar, sleeves, torso fit.pockets.drape.everything!
Image Image

Now!..who would not love a Magnoli SA ToD jacket?...

I dont know........

bests
Holt
Last edited by Holt on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Jacket of Doom

Post by YARVTON »

I don't understand the objections. In many scenes the jacket looks black. It isn't actually black but it reads as black. And after the demise of three-strip Technicolor, what reads as black is either "Black" or "really-really Dark Brown".
Doeindy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Essex, England (Ole U.K.) were the rain forever falls. 29 mins down the road from Wested leather!

Post by Doeindy »

Eric.

I love the TOD jacket that you have; if at any point you get fed up with it then after alot of body building on my part :D.................I would be happy to take it off your hands.

You look happy with it and so you should be. I know that Tony has built this jacket; so it has got to be great.

I can see that the collars are spot on and the arm tightness and body fit is a very good replication.

I hope that one day I can get a good TOD jacket like yours.

God Bless you,

Paul.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

and God bless you :D

thanx!

and a quick question to those die hard ToD jacket fans.

was the hero jacket a thin cow hide or lambskin?

bests
Holt
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I was thinking it was lambskin.
Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

but not chrome tanned... I think I remember Peter saying that the old hides used to be tanned with Whale fat.... which is a big no no now. The result was a slightly stiffer leather, possibly a bit like veg tanned leather (?). Can anyone confirm this?
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Chris_King wrote:The cut looks great Holt but on my screen, the colour looks black.

Chris
Big difference in the size of the pockets between these two.
Doeindy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Doeindy »

Eric.

I think that the jacket was proberbly made ot of completely battered Goat skin. The reason I say this is the jacket apears very tough but because the jacket could have been smashed up and beaten like a naughty child; then Goat shin could be the one.

I think that lamb could not have taken the type of distressing the jacket has; I mean the jacket looks like it has been used as a peice of armour.

I would love to know what you guys think too,

NEW DEBATE.

Paul.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

sorry to say Paul but it was either lamb or cow..not goat..all jackets from the films was Lamb and cow-(stuntjacket)

the Terry (stuntman) truck jacket from raiders was made of cowhide(at least thats what I have read) and that jacket was used in TOD..the hero jacket.

but I cant say it for sure..I need some confirming...just so I know the facts

bests
Eric
Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

Doeindy wrote:Eric.

I think that the jacket was proberbly made ot of completely battered Goat skin. The reason I say this is the jacket apears very tough but because the jacket could have been smashed up and beaten like a naughty child; then Goat shin could be the one.

I think that lamb could not have taken the type of distressing the jacket has; I mean the jacket looks like it has been used as a peice of armour.

I would love to know what you guys think too,

NEW DEBATE.

Paul.

I remember asking Noel Howard when I went to MBA 6 years ago and he told me straight that the the jacket was made from lamb. Fact. It was very stiff but that could be for the reason I stated above... it had also been sitting around for about 20 years.
Doeindy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Doeindy »

Holt Wrote

sorry to say Paul but it was either lamb or cow..not goat..all jackets from the films was Lamb and cow-(stuntjacket)

Well you learn something new all the time. I had no idea to be honest, but I just thought logically Goat would be the one.

Thanks for making me more well informed. I just do not know how they got away with distressing Lamb in that way; impressive.

Failing that; my next choice of skin was gonna be Chipmonk :lol:

Paul.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

well Lamb is tuffer then people may think.

it can take a beating.

look in this thread..I did a similiar thing to my wested lamb

viewtopic.php?p=394647#394647
Holt
Doeindy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Doeindy »

Eric.

Your Raiders distressed jacket looks like something special; please tell me that you did not rip that one on barbed wire?

I love the fact that the wear and tear is in the right places.

I have not got the potatos to do that to my Raiders; but I can definately see why Gearheads do it now. That jacket has got to be the prize of your collection.

God Bless you and thank you for sharing the pictures.

Paul.