How do Cabelas sizes run?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

How do Cabelas sizes run?

Post by Raider S »

Someone is going to be at Cabelas and can pick me up a safari shirt. (By the way, the safari jacket they have with all the pockets is awesome and I have used one for work on several continents.)

How do the sizes on these run? I have worn everything from a large to a xxlarge depending on the shirt so there's no way to know if not there in person. I know I have the safari jacket in an x-large tall because I wanted it to fit a bit loose. Not sure if the shirt will have a similar fit and sometimes it depends on where something is made.

Anyone have a x-large safari shirt standard or large? Would this be equal to a size 16.5 or 17 dress shirt?

And is the stone color what most people go for? I may go for the tan because it doesn't have to look like a prop.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Bump for anyone with a Cabelas shirt out there.
stealthboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by stealthboy »

I bought the Cabela's shirt in tan and returned it. It was slightly too big for me (I wear a Medium) and the tan color was too dark, IMHO. I should have gone for stone.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Thanks. My feeling is these would tend to run a bit big.

Cabelas has very nice stuff, but trying to judge colors on their website is a dice shoot at best.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

I have one of their safari-style shirts (not the ones which are part polyester and look more SA, but the other kind) and I'd say it's about right on to slightly big for size (in fact, I'm wearing it right now and plan on bringing it for the dig). As for getting a better sense of the colors, I would say stone is probably more SA than the british tan. Also, if you contact them they do ship out catalogues for free--I've ordered with them a lot, and the catalogues are good representations of the actual colors of the various items I've ordered from them. Hope this helps!

best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Thanks Nebraska. Very familiar with Cabelas as the family are all sportsmen. But I don't wear to many "fishing" type clothes myself so I rarely get that sort of thing from them.

The best "Indy" shirt I have was actually something I found at Marshalls. It's an Izod with epulates and button pockets in the front. Of course the color is white, so if someone wanted they would need to dye it.

I actually wear this one a lot while traveling and didn't even think Indy until I re-discoverd the movies and found this site. Best of all it's 100% cotton and I have polyester so that's why I worry about the Cabelas.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

No need to fear the Cabela's shirt. It's great. I use the stone color for a close-enough Indy, but I own most of the colors. I would say they run about right in terms of size. I'm cursed with being between sizes (1x and 2x), and my 2X's fit slightly loosely, which is as it should be.
Serial Hero
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Serial Hero »

For my first shirt I went with what the size chart in the catalog said. Even though it was polyester, after several washes the sleeves shrank up a bit and it was a little tight under the armpits. For my second one I went a size up (from their recommendation) and it fits good, a little loose but not too bad.

I like these shirts. Some complain that they’re too hot but I’ve never had a problem, and if they get wet they dry really fast.

Definitely go with the stone for color.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

That's a big help. I think I will go with a size larger because I prefer bigger as I tend to wear a shirt like this open over a t-shirt. I also worry about shrinking sleeves because I'm between a normal and a tall.

Thanks again.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

Is this the one you are referring to?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 649902474a
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Serial Hero wrote:For my first shirt I went with what the size chart in the catalog said. Even though it was polyester, after several washes the sleeves shrank up a bit and it was a little tight under the armpits.
That's odd. None of mine have had that problem. Is it the one J!m posted the link to? I don't recall a recommendation for a larger size, either.

By the way, for anyone clicking J!m's link, that "tan" looks nothing like what you get. It's much, much darker. I would call it light brown.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Yes, that's the one in the link.

Do they have some other shirt? Pretty sure this is the one most people get.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

This is the safari shirt I got from them:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

It's not SA, but the 100% cotton, the extra pockets, and the button-up sleeves make it very handy. Someday I'll have to get the other one, but I'd rather have these features right now for out in the field.

best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

That is a cool shirt!

I go for these, since they dry fast, and keep you cool...

http://www.columbia.com/Product/4/Titan ... wAll=False

I have a kaki and blue one, plus some older versions embroidered with the logo from our 2001 trans-african expedition...
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Here's the jacket I mentioned:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

I've worn this into one of the wars and it's a nice light jacket that looks great in a somewhat serious way and is super functional. But it is light and I'd describe it as a heavy shirt. Mine is tan.
Serial Hero
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Serial Hero »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
Serial Hero wrote:For my first shirt I went with what the size chart in the catalog said. Even though it was polyester, after several washes the sleeves shrank up a bit and it was a little tight under the armpits.
That's odd. None of mine have had that problem. Is it the one J!m posted the link to? I don't recall a recommendation for a larger size, either.

By the way, for anyone clicking J!m's link, that "tan" looks nothing like what you get. It's much, much darker. I would call it light brown.
Yes, that's the one.

Raider S,
Ya, I like that jacket too.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Serial Hero wrote: Raider S,
Ya, I like that jacket too.
If you don't already own one, be kind to yourself and place an order! I've owned it for two years and will get a second for when I wear the first out.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Raider S wrote:Yes, that's the one in the link.

Do they have some other shirt? Pretty sure this is the one most people get.
Yep, that's the Indy close enough. They have various other safari-type shirts. The one Nebraska linked to is a mite heavier, though. Too heavy for my liking, but I love the design. It matches the Jacket rather well, too.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Cabelas Shirt

Post by YARVTON »

Have you tried talking to someone working in one of the stores, as opposed to customer-service at the catalogue?
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

The safari shirt is not available in the Cabel's store unless you call in advance at least 5 days in advance. Too bad because they are having a 35% off sale right now.
Switch625
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Switch625 »

That's the shirt I have. I normally wear a large and this one fits me like an extra large. I pinned the sides in a little and it fits just fine. I'll eventually try to replace it with a medium.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I have a Cabela's safari shirt in Tan; it is darker than what the site shows. I wish this thread was out there before I got it. Now I know to get Stone next.