Your take on the WPG shirt...

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Your take on the WPG shirt...

Post by Texan Scott »

Could you post your comments on the WPG shirt, as to authenticity, maker, material, color, etc.? Thanks.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

my mom told me that if i have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all............ :wink:
gi_canuck
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gi_canuck »

If it weren't so darn big, I'd say it's a good enough of a shirt... The shirt is big enough to be a parachute... If you are expecting Raiders like slim fit, you won't get it from WPG shirts...
indyfyfe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by indyfyfe »

gi_canuck wrote:If it weren't so darn big, I'd say it's a good enough of a shirt... The shirt is big enough to be a parachute... If you are expecting Raiders like slim fit, you won't get it from WPG shirts...
$10 at the local seamstress and viola, slim fit.

The color is darker than Raiders and the fabric is stiff. You need to wash it about 10 times with fabric softener to get it soft.
1stsargent
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by 1stsargent »

I love Jerry's stuff but this shirt just never held up. The button hole stitching tore off on 4 buttons and the back shoulder near where the sleeve meets the shirt body ripped. This was after 6 times wearing it and 4 washes. My brother had similier problems.
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

1stsargent wrote:I love Jerry's stuff but this shirt just never held up. The button hole stitching tore off on 4 buttons and the back shoulder near where the sleeve meets the shirt body ripped.
Can anyone say 'ToD'... :wink:
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

$10 at the local seamstress and viola, slim fit.
That's exactly what I did with my Cabela's shirt, same price too.
Sorry to get off topic. :oops:
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Well, I'll say something in it's defense: it's my favorite shirt so far, and I'll tell you why, the color is pretty spot on although a slightly grayer tone can be achieved with a wash with dark clothes. I actually like the size since it makes me look a little bigger and fills out the slim Todd's jacket I have to make my physique look a little more screen accurate under the jacket. It also is made out of tough material. Also, it is oversized for a large and after washing shrinks to the perfect size! (for me). So, overall, dollar for dollar, I can't replace this shirt with a better one for myself. 6 stars. :)
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I don't regret buying one, but mostly because I got it second hand on the cheap.

To start with, it's HUGE. Second, it's not worth having it taken in. Third, the shirt was in perfect condition when I received it, but by the time I had washed it, moved the cuff buttons to fit right, and hanging it up for a week or two, I needed to repair it three times. Three repairs and I haven't even worn it yet.

Otherwise, it's ok. :wink:
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:I don't regret buying one, but mostly because I got it second hand on the cheap.

To start with, it's HUGE. Second, it's not worth having it taken in. Third, the shirt was in perfect condition when I received it, but by the time I had washed it, moved the cuff buttons to fit right, and hanging it up for a week or two, I needed to repair it three times. Three repairs and I haven't even worn it yet.

Otherwise, it's ok. :wink:
i sold my two shirts because it isnt long enough in the body to stay tucked in period...:wink:
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Being a bigger guy, I can appreciate the fuller cut...Color is pretty much spot on to what I was looking for. I really like the material---Thin but tough.

The only problem so far is the aforementioned buttonhole stitching coming loose...On like 4-5 buttonholes. A little infuriating, but good thing I'm handy with a needle and thread.:?

Oh, and I also had to add a button & buttonhole below the lowest one so that it tucked in right.....There was plenty of room down there. If WPG could just fix the buttonhole issue (adding the button would be a plus too), I'd buy more---I really do like the shirt.....
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

On the WPG shirt I had the fabric was hard and scratchy, and never relaxed...it just stayed hard and scratchy no matter how much washing it got.

But the biggest problem is the cut of the shirt. Nothing on the shirt is proportional. The cuffs and neck are TINY compared to the width of the body, or the body is EXTREMELY large compared to the neck and cuffs, however you'd rather think of it.

Either way, there's no other way to explain it than someone made a horrible mistake and decided to try to sell the shirts anyway. There's no other way to explain it, since I don't buy the "full bodied cut" nonsense mentioned on the WPG website. Seriously, a shirt with a 17" neck should fit a 42" chest, yet the WPG shirt with a 17" neck fits around a 50" or 52" chest with no problem.

Now, I'm a pretty big guy, so I should be in the perfect target audience for these "full bodied cut" shirts, since I have a 48 chest and a 44 waist and usually wear a 18/35 dress shirt. But no such luck. In this picture I'm wearing a button front casual shirt, size XL, a size 48 Wested leather jacket, unzipped, and OVER THAT a WPG Indy shirt, size 17/35.

So really, it's like the WPG shirt has the neck and cuffs of a medium, and the body of a XXL. Oh, and you might notice that the shirt is WAY too short to tuck in, unless you wear your pants pulled up to your sternum.

I think it is awesome that some of you have made these shirts work for you, but I can't describe the WPG shirt as anything other than an epic failure, and with Magnoli's shirt only a little more money, and Todd's shirt the same price I really can't find any reason to recommend the WPG shirt for anything other than using it as a tent.
Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Anderson »

This really isn't good news for me. I need a shirt for an event at my work the 26th, and so I ordered a medium Todds at the end of May (My chest size is a 37.5). He didn't have any mediums or larges, so he's sending me a large WPG to meet the deadline.

From the looks of it, I'm screwed :/
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Well, Winston... at least you can do a Streets of Cairo outfit in the dead of winter! :lol: :lol:
Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Anderson »

Isn there a chance a Todds small would fit a chest 37.5?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:Well, Winston... at least you can do a Streets of Cairo outfit in the dead of winter! :lol: :lol:
And still have enough fabric left to make a hat and MkVII out of the same material!

...too soon? :wink:

Shane
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Anderson wrote:Isn there a chance a Todds small would fit a chest 37.5?
I think so, but I also think Todd's sizing chart, if 100% correct compared to the actual shirts, is a little odd. Most shirt makers go up one whole inch in sleeve and neck as you go up S, M, L, etc, whereas Todd's shirts only seem to go up by one-half inch per size, so overall they seem to run a little small.
Las Vegas Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Las Vegas Jones »

I must have got an odd one from WPG.

After I had Men's Warehouse tailor it to me, it fit perfect (17" neck I got from them, I normally wear a 16 1/2) the shirt and sleeve length was perfect even after several washings and it softened up in 2 washings.

Now that its custom fit it wears great.

I also haven't had a single button hole problem.
I did break a button, but like most dress shirts it had a spare and I whipped it ;) on in a minute or two.

I guess its the luck of the draw from them, either you get a good one or you don't :(
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Winston, this is the first time I've seen the jacket used as an undershirt, ha! You could do the streets of Cairo AND the truck scene all in one take? Maybe it should be advertised as the WPG-chute? I decided to go with the AB. Thanks for the posts!
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

WPG Shirt

Post by Wade Egan »

Mine was a XXL and was super wide cut. I'm going to have it taken in because the fabric is good and the look is good as well. It is also cut a little short however so if you sport any kind of a belly it'll be a pain to keep it tucked.
Skinny dudes should love it.

W.E.