Magnoli pants or Wested

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana.J
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Magnoli pants or Wested

Post by Indiana.J »

hey guys im looking for some good indy pants and have not been able to decide on which to get. could you guys let me know of which to get thanks again :)
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Well, if you have a Wested jacket, then getting a pair of Wested pants would complete the ensemble in a way... ;) And they have the added bonus of being the 'brand' used as production samples in the new Indy movie (though, depending on who you ask, they were not in the final cut). So getting a pair would be like having the pants that Indy had replicas of. Ironic, since usually it is the other way around... ;)

However, with a pair of Magnoli's, you get a pair of pants that are custom made to your measurements, unlike Wested's which are mass produced. You also have a wider selection of fabrics, which comes with the 'custom' territory.

It really boils down to whether you prefer having a gear piece associated with the gear-lore, or something that fits you perfectly for your own adventures. ;)
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

According to Falstaff in his thread (viewtopic.php?t=32117) Magnoli's pants are "a cut above" when compared to Noel Howard's and Wested's Indy pants.
MacFett
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MacFett »

I got a pair of the Wested and found them very comfortable and well made. Comfortable enough to be an "every day" wear.
I have no experience with the Magnoli's but have heard nothing but good things about them.
It's probably going to boil down to personal prefference and price range you're looking at.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Well I have both a Wested and Magnoli pants. Despite being "mass produced, " the Wested fits me better. Even though I gave Magnoli exact measurements, the final result was not good. (And the stitching in several areas was falling apart)......I ended up having to go to a tailor to have it re-altered.
Falstaff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Falstaff »

In my experience the Wested pants are very good pants, but by comparison Magnoli's are better tailored, made, and more screen accurate. I ordered mine with a 4 inch military hem. The stitching on the pockets inside the pants is far superior to Wested's. For example, when I wear my Wested's, you can just make out the outline of the front pockets on my thighs because of the stitching. Magnoli's are a bit more professionally manufactured so this stitching exists only on the back of the pockets and can't be seen when the pants are being worn. If you want a good pair of pants that look Indy and are a bit heavier in weight, the Wested's will fit the bill. If you want a well-tailored pant that looks like Indy's and are lighter for warmer days AND will make you want to wear them more often than just with your gear, go with Magnoli's.
Indiana.J
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana.J »

thanks for all your reply's i think im going to give magnoli a try. what make and what color do i need to get for the best Indy pants. and do i just as for the 4 inch millitry seem or is that just something included ? could you let me know thanks :)
Ronski
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Ronski »

I just received my pair of Magnoli pants a few weeks back. They come standard hemmed, so you'll have to ask for the military hem. Another suggestion I'll add is that the belt loops are pretty much EXACTLY 1 1/4 inches, so putting a web belt through is a tight fit. That is my only complaint with the pants. Otherwise, they are the most comfortable pants I have ever owned.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

No doubt, Wested's look great. As do the NH, which you can now only get second hand.

That said, I prefer Magnoli's. As a man who struggles to find clothing that fits right, and one who thinks it's insane to by pants that are anything close to "ready to wear" for more $50; If I'm going pay around $100 for pants, they better be made to measure (or better). Mag's gets it done!
joeyofarimathea
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by joeyofarimathea »

Indiana.J wrote:thanks for all your reply's i think im going to give magnoli a try. what make and what color do i need to get for the best Indy pants. and do i just as for the 4 inch millitry seem or is that just something included ? could you let me know thanks :)
i would just go with magnolis suggestion... which if i remember is the dark khaki wool blend (i believe theyre 90% wool, and the other 10% is what makes them feel like youre not wearing vintage suit pants). about the hem just state that when you order or better yet feel free to just email magnoli before you order, as his customer service is TOP DRAWER! heres my other reply about IM trosers. its a re-post from that other thread that falstaff started......

"thank you so much falstaff....its about time we got magnolis in there for comparison (at least its the first time ive seen a "side by side")!!! yes ive thought all along that most of the "raiders" pants offerings were too dark (unless compared with very dark indoor shots...ie: well of souls and opening temple). i think magnolis are DEAD ON! plus w/magnolis you get by far the best back pockets out there!

but since i have this picture i was also wondering if anyone else thinks those pleats on indys jacket seem to be bellowing much like many here have complained about???

thanks for reading, JOA

PS-imo the quality and the SA make the MAGNOLI the BEST choice. also theyre completely made to measure. not to mention they are only about $10 more than the OTR wested pants. but magnolis price includes the s&h ....for the price its a steal!!!!

for the record i only have magnolis but i dont think ill try anything else!"