The Herbert Johnson McAlpine

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

The Herbert Johnson McAlpine

Post by cliffhanger »

I have a few questions about the McAlpine.

I think I have read that Indy Magnoli has one, but anyone with experience with them would be good too.

I am graduating in December, and the only thing I can think of is to get a Herbie J with any grad money. I have THE jacket, THE boots, I don't need THE whip, but I want THE hat.

Thing is, I just know that the taller crown of the Poet wouldn't look good on me. And yeah, I know that HJs now have gotten crappy over the years, as they have changed felts so much, but I REALLY want one.

So, how tall is the crown of the McAlpine? Does HJ still put that thinner ribbon on their Indy Hats? How long is the wait? Besides the crown, are there any other differences between the McAlpine and the Poet?

Thanks in advance for answering any questions. Sorry to bombard...I have heard the Mr. Swales can be grumpy some days, but I would like one as I would think Lucas would just use the same supplier he has always used for the films. So, theoretically, if I order by end of the year or beginning of next year, and they are supposed to be filming next year, it would be neat to tell my kids one day that I got an Indy hat from THE supplier at the same time Indy IV was being made. Just my two cents.

Peace,
Cliffhanger
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

well, I thought that the McAlpine had a much wider brim. Also, you never know about the hat supplier.
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

Yeah, I've seen a pic of one at MK's home site, with a very wide brim. I believe that is the way it looks before finishing. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Poet is actually a derby.

True, Dakota, about the felt supplier. But I still REALLY want one. Any other thoughts?

Peace,
Cliffhanger
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Rent Bram Stoker’s Dracula. I believe that Anthony Hopkins wears a MacAlpine in it. You would have to cut the brim way down for an Indy hat though. Cheers
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, the Poet has an HUGE brim before it's cut down for the Indy fedora, so don't let that fact hinder you what so ever. They'd have to cut the McAlpine down anyway, as they do the poet. I believe Indy Magnolia said the felt seemed a bit heavier and a better quality. (correct me if my memory failed me there, Tony). But from what I've known and seen of his HJ, it was a VERY nice hat. If you'll recall, it was the one that he had stolen last year. I wouldn't hesitate to order one. Regards. Michaelson
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

Michaelson wrote: If you'll recall, it was the one that he had stolen last year. I wouldn't hesitate to order one. Regards. Michaelson
I remember that! That was his McAlpine huh? Bram Stoker's Dracula? Sweet movie. 8)

While I like the thinner felts, I DO want an HJ, so the heavier felt is ok by me. That pleases me to hear that his McAlp felt is of better quality. Does anyone know the turnaround time? Has anyone ordered an HJ recently?

Thanks for all the info. Maybe Indy Magnoli will chime in.

Peace,
Cliffhanger
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Why did you have to bring up that hat? :cry:

But seriously... it is a great fedora. The thing that attracted me to the McAlpine at the time was the colour and the felt weight. The Poet Mr. Swales showed me in his shoppe was a VERY dark brown, and I wasn't happy with it. So I looked around and saw a stack of McAlpines. I asked him to do the same mods to it as he would to the Poet and, Voila! a new Indy fedora is born.

Just be sure to get it occassionally reblocked as taper does set in after a few heavy rainstorms... :(

I'm still half waiting to see the tattooed skinhead walking around New Zealand with a nice hat...

Kind regards,
Indy
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

Sorry old boy, I should have realized the wound it would open up. :oops:

I read in an old post that the McAlpine does have a shorter crown. Is this true or am I insane? (OK, don't answer the insane part). Also, is the felt REALLY thick compared to say a Fed or any other hat you own (or have owned...sorry!).

Thanks so much IM, I think I have been bitten by the HJ bug indeed.

Peace,
Cliffhanger
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

The Poet Mr. Swales showed me in his shoppe was a VERY dark brown, and I wasn't happy with it.
If you don't mind, what year was that? I'm beginning to think HJ changed felt on the Poet every six months.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Dakota Ellison wrote:
The Poet Mr. Swales showed me in his shoppe was a VERY dark brown, and I wasn't happy with it.
If you don't mind, what year was that? I'm beginning to think HJ changed felt on the Poet every six months.
One of the most recent HJ's that I've seen was about a year old and it was made from very dark felt. The liner was different from other HJ’s that I’ve seen as well. I agree, you never know what you're going to get when you buy a new one. It would be reasonable to assume that this dark felt is long gone too since it’s been recently reported that they’ve been looking for a new felt supplier. Cheers
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

I assume you mean Indiana_guitarist's HJ he got in January of 02.
This is the one I got in September of 02 from HJ.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

The McApline is definitely shorter than the Poet. The Poet that was made for me was in March of '98. It was made 1/8" too big, so I opted for the McApline instead...

It was a little bit thicker than my Fed Delx....

Kind regards,
Indy
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

Thanks a lot Indy Magnoli! Now I have to save my hard earned money and buy one...sheesh! :wink:

Peace and high regards,
Cliffhanger

P.S. indy_guitarist's HJ looks great!
indy_guitarist
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by indy_guitarist »

yes!!!! i'm glad you posted that pic. my computer crashed last year and all of those photos were lost forever with indygear's server crashing every other week. if you've got anymore, feel free to post them so i can get em back!!! thanks again!!
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Image Good luck on dealing with HJ hat shop, hopefully youll catch him in a good mood eh?! :roll: :wink:

I J
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

yes!!!! i'm glad you posted that pic. my computer crashed last year and all of those photos were lost forever with indygear's server crashing every other week. if you've got anymore, feel free to post them so i can get em back!!! thanks again!!
Here's the rest:
indy_guitarist
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by indy_guitarist »

man, thanks a lot. i really appreciate it. hopefully i can get some updated ones up for ya. after a year of wear.
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

IndianaJames wrote:Image Good luck on dealing with HJ hat shop, hopefully youll catch him in a good mood eh?! :roll: :wink:

I J
That's my ONLY concern...when I get some more funds, I am making that call and we'll see how it goes! :?

Peace,
Cliffhanger

P.S. Thanks for those pics...that is the new crest huh? I think I like that better than the old big red crest.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Dakota Ellison wrote:I assume you mean Indiana_guitarist's HJ he got in January of 02.
This is the one I got in September of 02 from HJ.
No, the one that I saw was in person. The one that I saw had a dark sweatband like in one of the above picks. It appears that there are two different color sweatbands above. They're two different hats? Cheers
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

Nope. Same sweatband.
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

*cough* bump

Post by cliffhanger »

What's the going rate for an HJ these days? I believe they are around $270 plus shipping, but has anyone bought one lately? Spainaird I know has. If they not nearing $350 or so I may purchase a new McAlpine. I can't shake this Herbie J bug. :( I also want one before Indy IV starts production, as I am banking Lucas will use most of the original vendors.

Thanks in advance!
Cliffhanger
Spaniard
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Spaniard »

The going rate for mine (a Poet, not McAlpine) was $261 plus $40 postage.

(Two days ago I received an email the hat is on his way :) )

Regards
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

Thanks Spanaird! :D

I would think the Poet would be the same price, no? If the McApline is cheaper, even better!

Peace,
Cliffhanger