What modern day watch would Indy wear?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

lbnlaxer
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

What modern day watch would Indy wear?

Post by lbnlaxer »

Guys, I'm a newbie here so forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, but what kind of modern day watch would Indy wear?

Links would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Probably a Hamilton..........because I saw a photo of Harrison Ford a while back wearing one.
Alex
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alex »

Good question. I have an affinity for the antiques myself and often wish I could wear a pocket watch on a chain like in the olden days. Indy does the same with his weapon choice since he has a powder shot revolver in KOTC so I think he would have a chain type pocket watch. My 2c. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Alex wrote:Good question. I have an affinity for the antiques myself and often wish I could wear a pocket watch on a chain like in the olden days.
So, why don't you? I've carried antique pocket watches everyday for the past 45 years. I'm carrying a Ball-Waltham 17j ORRS railroad watch as we speak. All you need is a watch, chain, and watch pocket.

Regard! Michaelson
lbnlaxer
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by lbnlaxer »

Alex wrote:Good question. I have an affinity for the antiques myself and often wish I could wear a pocket watch on a chain like in the olden days. Indy does the same with his weapon choice since he has a powder shot revolver in KOTC so I think he would have a chain type pocket watch. My 2c. :wink:
even when out in the field? that would not seem very feasible. maybe while teaching...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Once again, why not? I do, and have for decades. Just have a good watch for your non-field days, and a lower priced 15j for field work.

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stealthboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by stealthboy »

Alex wrote:Good question. I have an affinity for the antiques myself and often wish I could wear a pocket watch on a chain like in the olden days. Indy does the same with his weapon choice since he has a powder shot revolver in KOTC so I think he would have a chain type pocket watch. My 2c. :wink:
I don't wear wristwatches at all... I have a 100+ year old Elgin pocketwatch that I wear on occasion; I'd recommend a sturdy old one. You can find old mechanical pocketwatches for under $100 that need perhaps $50 in work to get them back in reliable order.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Going along the same lines as James Bond, I think Indy would be likely to own an Omega.

http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?i ... no_cache=1
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

This is the Harrison Ford watch. I'm not an expert, so I don't know what model is. :roll:

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'm not an 'expert' either, but I've sent the photo to a friend of mine who is. I'll let you know what he says.

Regards! Michaelson
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Perhaps a Breitling?? :-k
Indybantha Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indybantha Jones »

Or maybe some sort of military watch. :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Strones wrote:Perhaps a Breitling?? :-k
That would be my guess, based on the winged emblem.

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ok he says:
Longines modern analogue / digital
Regards! Michaelson
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I would think that Indy would like to keep most if not all of his possessions American made. So, with that in mind, I would say a Bulova as they are great American made watches (though they used to come with Swiss movement) and can take the sort of abuse he puts his gear though. Back home, however, I would assume that something more like an Omega, though not American, would be his watch of choice. Indy seems like an Omega DeVille or Railmaster to me when he is not out finding some great lost artifact.

Dave
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Sadly, Bulova hasn't made a watch in the U. S. since the 1970's.

Regards! Michaelson
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I didn't know that. That is sad. Bad outsourcing, bad! :whip:

Dave
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, there is no true watch production left in the U.S. The name brands continue to exist, like Bulova, Hamilton, Waltham, and Elgin....but NONE are made in the U. S. :(

Regards! Michaelson
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Not really a horologist, but I believe the only U.S. manufacterer (and not their entire line of course) is Timex. Could be wrong.

But I wouldn't be surprised if a modern-day Indy wore a Marathon as they are periodically issued to U.S. special forces types and Indy seems to have an affinity for military surplus or para-military gear. Marathon is a Canadian company IIRC, that uses swiss movements.

Peace.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Last I heard, even Timex are only assembly and no longer a production operation....if they're still in existance. I believe they were looking to move lock, stock and barrel overseas. That's 2 year old information.

UPDATE AND CORRECTION:
From the Timex corporate website:
Timex embraces the new millenium with high brand confidence and a strong global workforce. Seventy-five hundred employees are located on four continents: in Middlebury (next door to Waterbury), Connecticut; Little Rock, Arkansas; Manaus, Brazil; Besancon, France; Pforzheim, Germany; Cebu, the Philippines; People's Republic of China; Jerusalem, Israel; and Delhi, India.
So, they still have a presence in the U. S. in Connecticut and Akransas...though it doesn't state these are manufacturing locations or corporate offices. 'Offices' is my bet.

Regards! Michaelson
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Judging from the photo, Ford's watch is one of the Breitling Professional range. It seems a bit odd though, because it looks like it has a case similar to the Aerospace model, but the larger face of the Emergency model.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Wouldn't he want a watch that could take a lickin' and keep on tickin'? I may be dating myself by remember that old Timex ad, but at least I'm dating someone. :wink:
Lewisaurus Rex
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lewisaurus Rex »

If he's gonna where a breitling he should at least where a mechanical classic like mine.

RobocopIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RobocopIndy »

I have this watch, which is based on a 1936 design.

http://www.stauer.com/itemd.asp?ItemNo=14587&CatID=5
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Indiana Strones wrote:This is the Harrison Ford watch. I'm not an expert, so I don't know what model is. :roll:

Ford is wearing a Breitling SuperQuartz Aerospace which is part of their Professional Line and the version in the picture is in titanium on the older professional style bracelet, makes sense because he is a pilot huh?.

All the best,
Stefan
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

That Breitling is beautiful Lewisaurus. It is in great condition. However, I don't think Indy would wear something complicated with chronographs. I guess we can rule out Heuer's then.

Dave
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/H77445533.asp

I am giving serious thought to getting this watch for my Indy watch.

Kind regards,
Stefan
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Looks just like the old WWII Bulova Hack watches. I think the Bulovas were manual wind, though. I prefer manual wind watches as it makes me feel more in tune with my watch. It is something very simple, but gratifying. I have an old 50's Omega DeVille that I love wearing becuase it is extremely beautiful and accurate, yes, but also becuase of its manual movement. It was a present from my fiance.

Mind the blurry photo.

Dave
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

I think Indy would probably go for a robust and durable watch probably along the lines of the current issue NATO G10.
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

DR Ulloa wrote:I would think that Indy would like to keep most if not all of his possessions American made.
Just like his Webley and British gas mask bag. :wink:
Demaroth
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Demaroth »

I'm biased, owning a DOXA 750T Professional, so take this with a grain of salt. :)

I think either the DOXA Sharkhunter or Military version of the current 5000T series would be ultra-durable and versatile. Maybe he wouldn't, since they're primarily dive watches, but they're great for all situations, really! I wear mine daily! ;)

http://doxawatches.com/military/shark_5000.jpg
http://doxawatches.com/military/military_5000.jpg

They're basically the same watch, with the Military version being PVD coated in black.

- John
Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

DR Ulloa wrote:I would think that Indy would like to keep most if not all of his possessions American made.
Tell that to his Australian whip and his British-made hat, jacket, bag and handgun. ;)
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

His stuff is made overseas, but we are assuming that in Indy's timeline, it was all made in the US. As far as watches go, he probably wore a military issue watch or simply none at all. He new when he had to be in class and in the field he just went by the sun up sun down time.