Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

mlars11
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Todd's for tall people?

Post by mlars11 »

Hi everyone,
This is my first post, just discovered this site the other week and it's great. I'm just getting into the gear and right now I am a grad student with not much money. I was thinking of getting a Todd's standard jacket because I like the look and it's about as high price wise as I can go.

I am 6'3"-6'4" about 200 lbs (trying to lower that a little this summer), so I have been looking at the XXL. I have seen posts from all different heights saying this fits well so I am just looking for a little more confirmation from the taller crowd. I measured the best I could (not professionally) and I'm kinda right on the tail end of XXL. I'm especially concerned with with arm length because my arms are a little long. I thought I read you could let those out a little because of some excess material folded in, any confirmation on that?

So far I have the hat (just the wool DP, not screen accurate I know, but affordable) and I ordered the bag with strap from Todd, but still waiting for that due to the backorder.

Thanks for your help,
-Matt
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

Hi Matt, I wish I could be more help about the jacket, but since I'm only 5'9" and waiting on my Todds medium to arrive I'm not sure I'll be able to help you much. But I wanted to say: Welcome to Club Obi-Wan! :D
robisindy
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Todd's XXL on the way

Post by robisindy »

I have a Todd's Standard XXL ordered and on the way. I'll try to answer some of your questions when it arrives. My initial thought at hearing your height is that the jacket will be too short for you. Did you check the clearance page on his site? He has a custom that is long with long sleeves on there at a reduced price.
Webley Jones
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Re: Todd's for tall people?

Post by Webley Jones »

mlars11 wrote:I am 6'3"-6'4" about 200 lbs (trying to lower that a little this summer-Matt
What are you trying to get down to.. like 5'11" or 6'??? HAHAHAHAHHAH

Webley
mlars11
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mlars11 »

Ha, yeah I had a feeling that was coming. No, I can't shrink myself, just trying to shrink my gut a little, though I don't think that will be the problem with the fit.

rob- yeah that's kind of my fear too, any info you have when yours arrives would be appreciated. I did see the custom which sounds like it would work well but sadly out of my price range.

thanks
WebChief
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by WebChief »

I have the same problem I think. I'm 6'2" with 36 inch sleeves. Tough to find a jacket that fits.
gi_canuck
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gi_canuck »

6'4" eh? I am 5'10" 200 lbs... Todd's XXL fits me just fine... but still the length wise, feels kind of short... not that noticeable for me, but compared to my wested? Yeah, it's definitely more of 80s cut I guess... Unless you have a short torso and really long legs, I don't know what the fit would be like for you...
mlars11
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mlars11 »

Thanks for the help, that's kind of the situation I thought I might be in, but was hoping it wasn't. Well, I guess I'll have to wait until I can afford a Wested, or until Todd get's some longer sizes.
Road Warrior
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Road Warrior »

Being 6'4" and 220 lbs., I can sympathize with you for trying to find anything that fits off the rack.

I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that if you don't buy a jacket in a long/tall size you will be disappointed with the fit. With standard sizes, if it fits in the chest, the sleeves and body will be too short. If the sleeves and body are long enough, then you'll be swimming in the body.

The good thing is that US Wings, Wested, and G & B all offer tall/long sizes.
mlars11
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mlars11 »

Thanks for the info. I haven't ever really invested much money in clothes so if it's a little off in the fit it's usually been ok, but I've been looking to get a nice jacket for a while and why not make it an Indy jacket. I'll just have to save up some money for one of the other companies and get a tall...unless by the time I save up Todd offers some tall sizes as well.
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

WebChief and Road Warrior,

As I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs, I'd like your opinions on the best tall jacket available. I have 36-37 inch arms and I like my indy jacket to fall lower than the Wested talls do so I may like what fits a 6'4" person. What do you gents suggest? I have a USW cowhide (not sure how old it is) XXL tall and the length is good but the sleeves could be a little longer (or have gussets to prevent riding up too much).

Excelsior!
Riothamus
Road Warrior
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Road Warrior »

riothamus wrote:WebChief and Road Warrior,

As I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs, I'd like your opinions on the best tall jacket available. I have 36-37 inch arms and I like my indy jacket to fall lower than the Wested talls do so I may like what fits a 6'4" person. What do you gents suggest? I have a USW cowhide (not sure how old it is) XXL tall and the length is good but the sleeves could be a little longer (or have gussets to prevent riding up too much).

Excelsior!
Riothamus
We have about the same arm length. I'm new to Indy jackets, and in fact I just ordered a custom Wested Raiders in horsehide. I generally don't have a problem with off-the-rack tall sizes in XLT. I also own two custom made Aero jackets in heavy front quarter horsehide. They're expensive at first glance, but when you consider how long they last, the cost is really insignificant, especially when you also factor in that they're always the coolest jacket in the room.

I'm a little concerned about my order with Wested being right, because sending it back to the UK for modifications will be expensive. I told them to take their time and make it right.

For about 350 USD, I don't think the price of a custom Wested can be beat, especially in horsehide.
LordxHelmetx
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by LordxHelmetx »

Hey man,
I'm 6'6 and my arms resemble that of the alien in CLose Encounters.
So I really recommend going with the XL for arms length, XXL if you're worried about the width. Be prepared for a bit of shrinkage, mine was large and fit perfectly, and then it shrunk to medium proportions, but so far, i'm the only one with that problem... just my luck.
WebChief
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by WebChief »

I wish I could offer any sugggestions riothamus but I'm still in the same boat. I don't own a jacket yet as I've had the same problem... finding one that I believe would fit me.

My arms are always such a problem for me because if I get anything that fits them, it's too big in the chest. :?