New AB - how to get the brim right?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Ken-Obi Wanabi
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

New AB - how to get the brim right?

Post by Ken-Obi Wanabi »

Here is my brand new AB fedora with Idol bash! I love it! How do I get the brim looking correctly? I've got it turned on my head (putting the bow forward of my ear a bit). I looked through the sticky threads and can't find the info. It just seems too flat and I can't get it any lower on my head. :)

ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

Start bending it the way you'd like. Work it in every so often and in a few days, your hat will start to "remember" the brim shape. Alternatively, use steam or cold water to help shape it.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Just a question for other AB Idol Bash owners - is this how the hat normally looks or has the brim somehow straightened on this one in shipping?
thanks
Canada
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

The brim and crown naturally settle during shipping since it is stored upside down and goes through all the bumps and lumps the postal service puts it through before you get it. Mine did this, too - so I just shaped the crown and brim with my hands. The Adventurebilt is very pliable and easy to shape. Just start tweaking the brim it the way you want, and add a little water from a spray bottle if you feel like you need to.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I agree with everyone so far. Shipping is going to mess with the bash job. Can't really help that.
With the raiders turn ( and this is my opinion ) the brim can be completely flat. Ounce you put it on your head the the swoop that we all come to love would show up. This is done by it being turn a little. Thats why if you want a really good swoop, bashing your own hat is the way to go. Unless your standing in front of the hatter.
Now this isn't saying that you can't get it with you AB that you have in these pics. AB's can be shaped (without water or steam) to get the look that you want.
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

Guessing by the pictures, I'm guessing you have a round oval head, which means a regular turn distance will not work with your head. I suggest just manipulating the brim by hand with either water or steam to make the brim come down more in front.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Just work it with your hands a bit and some distilled H2O on the stubborn areas. The front needs pushed down and the sides need a swoop upward.

I've been playing with my JPD since the day it arrived. I've softened it, sat on it, kicked it around and tweaked it...here is the way it looks now. Don't be afraid to work the felt and use distilled water. If it's really stubborn use a little steam, little being the operative word, and shape it, then let it dry naturally on a stand...or improvise like me and use a roll of paper towels!!! lol

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Another problem with these hats is the long sought after "floppy felt". The floppier felt does not hold it's shape as easily as the old AB's, requiring more work on the part of the owner.

My AB from two years ago was the slightly stiffer batch, and the brim did not let go. And believe me, that box was thoroughly trashed on the way. That hat has been through delivery trauma, ice storms, heavy rain, and a hail of Pepsi. The brim don't flatten! My floppy HJ... it likes to wilt.

Either that, or you have Bufflehead's head shape, which seems to be wider at the front, and flattens the brim! :?
Ken-Obi Wanabi
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Ken-Obi Wanabi »

Thanks for the replies! Yep, my head is pretty much round and oval, so I guess the turn by itself won't give me the correct swoop. I'll try a bit of water and shaping it and see how it goes.

I just found this other thread that talks about the bash and the brim. Seems like I should try what's suggested there as well... once I get it looking like what I want, I'll post new pics.