Raiders of a Lost Art: Interview with Anthony Delongis

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

BullWhipBorton

Raiders of a Lost Art: Interview with Anthony Delongis

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Take a look, let me know what you think.

http://www.indygear.com/igDeLongis.html

Dan
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I LOVE IT!!! Fantastic job by all!
Andymac84
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Andymac84 »

One word: FANTASTIC. :clap:
myrddin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by myrddin »

That's a superb interview/article.

Thanks for posting it.

ETA: I hope his ranch is still open when my boys are older (in ten years or so). I would love to take them there to learn how to safely use those types of weapons... And of course, I'd have a blast too! My customized "action hero" curricullum would be zorro meets man from snowy river with some knife throwing to round off the skillsets. 8)
Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Herr Doktor »

Looks great. A ton of fantastic info in there. Well done, sir! :)
Jakk55
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jakk55 »

Very good article.
Explains the darker colors of the kotcs whip's knots as well as the knot in the wrist loop.
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

very interesting article - part about whip fihgting it's great :D

thank you
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Great job, Dan! The article is fantastic and makes a nice addition to the redesigned IndyGear site! After reading it, I'm even more excited to get my Jacka CS whip - I've been waiting patiently for 3 months and should have it next week!!!

-Craig
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

What an honor to have such an interview in the site! Thank you for posting and congratulations Dan! Incredible work!. (By the way, the pic's are amazing :wink: )

-Best Regards,
Alfonso
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I was wrong about how HF holds the handle. You can clearly see him in one of the photos with the TH knot right in the middle of his palm, and de Longis himself holds the whip that way too. I'm going to do it this way from now on.

A very interesting and well written article, Dan. Well done.
Last edited by JMObi on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

That was a great read, thanks!
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I really apprecate them and I know Anthony and John does as well. This was a fun piece to put together. I am really glad you all enjoyed it, I know I was really happy to be able to bring it to Indygear.

Also the main Bullwhip section has been tweaked a bit too so check that out when too if you like.
http://www.indygear.com/igbullwhip.html

All the best.

Dan
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

BullWhipBorton wrote:Also the main Bullwhip section has been tweaked a bit too so check that out when too if you like.
http://www.indygear.com/igbullwhip.html

All the best.

Dan
Dan,

Great work on the main Bullwhip page!! This info answers many of my questions regarding "KotCS" as to how Anthony dyed the Jacka whips and which ones made it to the screen. I may purchase some of that dye from Colin when I go pick up my Jacka whip. :D

Kind regards,
Craig
dr. tyree
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by dr. tyree »

Kudos, Borton. That was fun to read, and great pix as well.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Thanks.

Craig, Glad you found it particularly informative. You know Terry sent me a photo of several finished Indy 4 bullwhips a couple weeks ago, all but one (which was set aside for me) where being shipped to the Aussie Stock Saddle co. I wouldn’t be surprised if yours was one of them :)

Colin did say that he could easily supply the dye too. I am not really recommending using it as it was mainly done just to darken them up a bit more and make them look older for the film. They will get the same general appearance if you use them. I’m not sure about the darker knots though if your going for that look.

Dan
Last edited by BullWhipBorton on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

BullWhipBorton wrote:Thanks.

Craig, Glad you found it particularly informative. You know Terry sent me a photo of several finished Indy 4 bullwhips a couple weeks ago, all but one (which was set aside for me) where being shipped to the Aussie Stock Saddle co. I wouldn’t be surprised if yours was one of them :)

Colin did say that he could easily supply the dye too. I am not really recommending using it as it was mainly done just to darken them up a bit more and make them look older for the film. They will get the same general appearance if you use them. I’m not sure about the darker knots though if your going for that look.

Dan
Oh, now you got me even more excited, Dan!! I can't wait until those whips arrive from "down under." I'm sure mine was in that bunch. :D [-o< Thanks for sharing that info! In your opinion, what are the best characteristics of that Jacka whip? For comparison, I also own a Morgan and Strain whip. I'd appreciate any insight you have.

-Craig
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Craig, The bullwhips I seen looked pretty slick. I can’t wait to get mine either.

Compared to the Morgan’s and Strain’s, These Indy 4 bullwhips are more robust and heavier, the transition area is a lot stiffer too. That goes in to Terry’s whole progressive flex philosophy, which in my opinion is one of the main selling points of his whips and is abig reason why I like to use them.

Dan
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Dan,

Thanks for that additional info about Terry's whips. I continue to hear great things and can't wait to get mine and begin cracking!

-Craig
Hairyloft
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Hairyloft »

Great update on the whip page Dan, I'm wanting a Jacka INDY 4 whip the more I see it, can't wait to be able to get one.
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

A great bullwhip, the new Jacka. I've lately had the opportunity to crack a 10' Terry Jacka bullwhip, and the action is very different to a Morgan style. When you pick up a Morgan again after the Jacka the Morgan feels very, very different. But both are great. They sort of compliment one another - one helps you appreciate the other type even more, and appreciate the strengths of each type.

The Jacka bullwhip feels almost like a loaded spring, ready to strike. It is a well made, heavy whip. It looks and feels big. You really notice the gradual change in the flexibility of the thong, as it is tight and hard for the first, thick part of the thong, but transfers gradually into the easy coiling part further down. In effect it handles like a longer handled bullwhip than what it is. Both whips have an equally powerful crack, though the balance of both is understandably different. The Jacka seems to be heavier, not only because it has more leather in it but because the weight seems drawn out into the thong more, comparative to the lighter handle. Both types of bullwhip are highly effective, and roll out beautifully to crack. I'll write more on this later.

I decided I'd try to make a Jacka/Morgan looking whip, a blend of both types in general appearance, though with Morgan internal construction. So I bought whisky colored leather. It'll be 12 plait, TJ style wristloop (though DM length), and be about 26mm at the ring knot. I will either do DM or TJ style knots for the turksheads. I'll post a photo when it's made. I can't shake that great shot of HF in the US Army storage shed, with the Terry Jacka whip in his hand :)