Shrinking USW Vintage Cow with hot water

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

fletchshaw
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Shrinking USW Vintage Cow with hot water

Post by fletchshaw »

Hey everyone-

I shrank my USW goat by soaking it in a tub of hot water for a hour and it worked great.

I want to do the same thing with my Vintage Cow but I'm not sure what the effect will be on the leather. I've looked through the boards and haven't found an answer to this particular question.

Thanks!
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

are you looking for a look or is the jacket too big. My advice is if it's too big return it. You do not want to make a $400.00 error. that's my two cents good luck.
fletchshaw
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by fletchshaw »

Can't return it. It was one of the sale jackets from last year.

I just need to shrink it a little bit. Too big in the shoulders.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

How much would say it shrank by? A whole size?

Ken
Michigan Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Michigan Smith »

I put a goatskin A2 type jacket in hot water (just shy of boiling) once. Very, very, very, extremely, incredibly, bad, bad idea. Ruined the jacket, leather did not shrink evenly, changed color. Did the same thing to a leather belt, also ruined. Conversely, I regularly soak leather jackets in COLD water, in the washing machine, and let them "spin cycle" wring out, then hand roll wring them out with towels, then lay them out flat on towels to dry. This does not shrink them, at least any I've done, but does allow one to smooth out any unwanted or unsightly creases or folds. It can also cause unwanted folds/creases if you're now carefull to lay them out flat and smooth enough, especially on the "down" side. It is also a good way to get collars shaped.
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

there is a whole tutorial about this, with pics, on vlj (vintageleatherjacket.org) by a fellow named John Chapman who makes A-2's. his company is Goodwear jackets. he does it to help the fit and aging process of jackets. there a few posts around here of people doing the same things to their jackets to get the arms or body slimmer and sometimes to get more sleeve length. most of the jackets i have seen people do this with have been hh or goat, so i am not sure what kind of results you will get with cow. MS- what happened to your goat A-2? I used "the hot water method" on my USA goat A-2 to get a slightly aged and wider jacket and to help pull the pockets down a bit and I had good results.