Pecards and questions?i

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Blackthorne Rose
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Pecards and questions?i

Post by Blackthorne Rose »

I just called our local leather shop here in Louisville, called Leatherhead and asked if they carried Pecards Leather Dressing. Little was I prepared for what the woman was about to tell me. She told me that Pecards is not the best thing to put on a whip. She then proceeded to tell me how Pecards has acids in it that can break a whip down and they found this out from chemists they have working for them. Her husband evidently makes whips and said their starting price was about $3300.00. Now I hear everyone touting Pecards and have heard nothing bad about it. So whats going on here? I imagine she was wanting to push her conditioner. She did however state that mink oil and lexol were also not good for a whip. Has anyone had bad experiences with Pecards. I would like the full story before I buy any.
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

I'm not a chemist, so the only experimenting I have ever done with Pecard's is to use it, which I have done for years and have never had a problem with it. I have found from experience that there are a couple of vendors who put down Pecard's, and it's usually because they are trying to sell you something else. Now I sell Pecard's on my own site, so I guess you could say I'm biased the other way, but I used it long before I sold it, and I've found it to be the best out of the 4 different conditioners I've used. And again, I've never had a problem with it.

Regards,
Jim
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. Sounds like she had her own venue to sell her own product, which I can't blame her for doing, but it's a usual practice of a vendor to run down another's product when it's not one that adds to THEIR bottom line. There is absolutely nothing in any of the Pecards products that is acid based. Every agent in the product is inert. Regards. Michaelson
Major Mike
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Major Mike »

Did you say her husband's whips start at $3,300.00? What the heck does he make them out of? Maybe that has something to do with there preferences.
cliffhanger
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by cliffhanger »

Please tell me that is a typo. I too wonder what those whips are made out of. :?

Peace,
Cliffhanger
Blackthorne Rose
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I was telling her about one of the vendors whips I was looking at. Very reputable and mentioned several times on this site. When I told her the price of that whip she said add a couple of zeros on that price and I could have one made by her husband. She didn't have anything nice to say to put it mildly.
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Blackthorne Rose wrote:I was telling her about one of the vendors whips I was looking at. Very reputable and mentioned several times on this site. When I told her the price of that whip she said add a couple of zeros on that price and I could have one made by her husband. She didn't have anything nice to say to put it mildly.
Even more reason to let her know that you're running right out to buy a big 32 oz. container of Pecard's to put on your new Morgan whip. :wink:

Jim
arkstatler
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: Pecards and questions?i

Post by arkstatler »

Blackthorne Rose wrote:I just called our local leather shop here in Louisville, . . . said their starting price was about $3300.00.
If I had $3300 to spend on bullwhips I'd buy a David Morgan in every size and enough Pecards to take care of them for a century. When I was looking for a whip and saw the price of David Morgan's, I knew I couldn't afford one, but never questioned that his whip was worth his price. As I have read posts here and seen what other whip makers have said about Morgan's whips, I have realized that his whips are worth what he asks for them and I should find a way to save up for one sometime. If someone with David Morgan's reputation doesn't ask $3300 for a whip, I can't imagine anyones newly made whip is worth $3300. And if they are so deluded as to think that they are worth that much, they probably don't understand grade school math, much less the chemistry of Pecards.
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: now, or when you read this......what? ooooooh, Lebanon CT

Post by sab04 »

did you see one of her husbands whips? I really want to know why he thinks they're worth $3300!!!!!
-scott
Blackthorne Rose
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

No, the only reason I normally go in there is to buy leather scraps for my projects. I am currently attempting to recreate a webley holster. Attempting being the operative word. I have seen some whips hanging up in the shop but they looked to just 8 plait whips. I imagine he does custom orders. But she was ranting about how many awards her husband has won and the chemists they have working with them.
Robert Duke
Vendor

Pecards, conditioners & 3 thousand dollar whips

Post by Robert Duke »

I think that lady at Leatherhead doesn't want your business. <chuckle>

I suppose they can afford to hire chemists (plural) to research their own "Perfect" Leather conditioner with what they are selling their products for. ie $3300 whips, $5000 saddles, etc or whatever they make there. More than likely they do sell to clientele with deep pocketbooks who have more cents than sense.

I make my own conditioner that I sell for whips, but I also like Pecards. Is that so strange? I have several whip conditioners that I have that I like to sample and use on various occasions. In other words I learn from others.

1. Pecards
2. Peter Jack The Whip Man Soft beeswax leather dressing
3. My own Beeswax dressing :)
4. Jay-El a beeswax dressing
5. Murray's with 100% Australian Beeswax (found at Eckerd's in Afro Hair care dept) :lol:

Pecards does have petroleum distillates in it. That is basically vaseline. Murray's also contains petrolatum.
Some folks will have their opinion that this ingredient cannot be good for your leather.

It is endorsed and used by way too many to believe that it's no good. The only problem I have with Pecards is buying it locally. As big a city as Houston Texas is, you'd think there would be several outlets selling it, but there is only one and it's about 35 miles from me. So, I have made my own. I give samples of it with my whips I sell.
Whipcrack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Whipcrack »

Nokoma, whom makes the best U.S. made leather and kangaroo skin baseball gloves, for over 50 years, recommends petroleum jelly on their gloves, nothing else. I would not worry too much about Pecards, they have been around along time too, they must be doing something right.

Bill Walton
Dr.ClarkJones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Pecards

Post by Dr.ClarkJones »

I have to agree with Bill, I own 4 Nokona Kangaroo baseball gloves and have used petroleum jelly on them for years. I just recently bought some pecards for my whips and decided to use it on one of my gloves. I am now using pecards on all of my gloves.

Logan
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: now, or when you read this......what? ooooooh, Lebanon CT

Post by sab04 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Blackthorne Rose
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I went in another day an asked how much it would cost to add a brass button onto my holster and to make a whip holder, she quoted me $25 for the brass button and $35 for the holder. As I tried to stifle a laugh, I exited her shop. I ended getting the same brass button from Tandy's for 99 cents and putting it on myself and getting a whip holder from New Braunfels for $15. I know they are trying to make a living but she that the buttons were $15 a piece which is just an outright lie.