getting rid of the divider on a Magnoli Mk VII

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

getting rid of the divider on a Magnoli Mk VII

Post by Shagbd »

I got my magnoli Mk VII a week or so ago, and having never seen or handled a real one before, i was a bit dissapointed at how divided up the bag is. I mean i KNOW its a gas mask bag and built for a purpose, but if i was going to get any real use out of this, i had to do someting.
the main and ONLY issue was that divider in the middle.
So what I did was took a seam ripper and carefully removed the seam on ONE SIDE, then folded it around and sewed the side and bottom down essentially creating a new pocket which is a perfect size for pens etc...
After that I dyed it olive green and washed it good, so it just has a slight greenish tint.....,
remind me; WHY are these things KHAKI and not green?

has anyone else done this modification to the middle divider?

Ill try to get pix soon
Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Anderson »

Please do post pictures- I'm interested in how your redye came out. You're right, the bag is slightly too khaki.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I think the color issue is one of the most frustrating things about replicating. My first bags were called too "brown", so I used three totally different original bags to model my newer design on... now they're too "khaki".

Here is a picture I posted before:

At top and right are two originals, to the left is my new bag (the "too khaki" one) and at the bottom is my older version (the "too brown" one).

Here are a couple more (same arrangement, with different color references):

My new bags match the three originals I have fairly well. But some people prefer their bags more green. The irony of all this, to me at least, is I remember when the WPG bags first came out and everyone complained how green they were! :lol:

Kind regards,
Magnoli
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

It's a weird thing. You just can't please all the people all the time. That's why there's Dylon! :D

Thanks for offering the replicas to us and it's fun to customize them like I did to mine-

viewtopic.php?t=31120
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

TheMechanic wrote:It's a weird thing. You just can't please all the people all the time. That's why there's Dylon! :D
Or RitDye! ;) Be sure to read TheMechanic's thread! He's done a wonderful job with his satchel!!

Kind regards,
Indy
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Yes, the dyeing process added just the right amount of "musty old faded olive drab" to my Magnoli replica bag. Thanks for the compliments Indy.
Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Anderson »

Make no mistake, Indy, I LOVE my bag! I use it for everything, and it is absolutely leaps and bounds better than your previous MVII (I had one of those from you, as well.) The color is near perfect, but you know how us gearheads can be! :D After going through and watching the movies I'm not quite sure what the color was, either- in KotCS yours looks accurate, in TOD it looks green, in raiders it looks like a cross between. I think its just a matter of personal preferance at this point :lol:
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

OH !
Mr Magnoli...
im sory, i didnt mean to sound like i was complaining or bashing your product at all..
I am by NO MEANS an expert at all, Im just a newb collector, and I find your bag to be of INCREDIBLE construction!
ripping those seams out were a PITA, because they were so well sewn...
No no no
i LOVE this bag, but I have a tendency to modify everything i use regularly and i DO plan to use it...
in fact if you look at the dye job i did, it just gave it a SLIGHT greenishness... barely notisable

im sorry if i offended you, i didnt mean to, but rather praise you for offering a quality product!
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I have one of the new ones and I think the color is great! Everything about the bag is perfect imo.

However, I want to get another one, and this time remove the metal disc on the side. I know that is not good for SA, but I will be using my bag in the field for work (I go bush sometimes) and I don't want people asking "what is that disc for?" and have to explain. So I'll have one SA and one for work use.

What can I use to put in the hole I make when I remove the disc? Is there a brass or copper rivet that would be suitable?
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

which brings up a good point
what the heck IS the disk for?????????????????
masa
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by masa »

The bag was initially worn across the chest. There is a little pocket with a string inside on the opposite side of metal disk. The string was wraped around your chest and then it was tied around the disc to keep the bag in place.
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I hope Mr Magnoli will continue to supply the MkVII with the centre divider in place. I find the compartments created by the divider to be handy for separating items, and it helps the bag keep its shape. If the divider isn't needed it is easily removed by the owner with a stitch cutter, but having it there increases the options imo.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Where they removed for the films?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Magnoli's bags are repros of actual gas mask bags, and if you have an original, you'll see that they are divided up just like his bags are. I don't think Magnoli has plans to alter the "original" design. I got one of his bags for myself recently (I already have an older WPG and a couple originals) and I really like the feel and color of the Magnoli. The only thing I noticed which cracked me up a bit is that the vents on the bottom of my Magnoli bag are purely decorative—the vent holes don't go through the bag fabric!

And IndyFan, I highly doubt they removed the dividers in the film bags. There was no need to do so.
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

When Panama takes the Cross of Coronado from Indy's bag, you can see it's still divided the bag...
Fink
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fink »

I’m actually one of those who think the Magnoli bag looks absolutely great just as it is!

This is why: I had a real shoulder military bag (Not really a MK VII but very close) in the past witch I owned and used for some primary school, high school and must of my university time. At first, this bag was militia green, not camo green but rather the kind of green you get when you get a “too green MK VII” repo.

As years came by, and I used my old bag at least five times a week, the bag turned naturally “khaki” over time, just like Magnoli’s! (Add some hard UV time because I used to ride a motorcycle to school for many years) Unfortunately the canvas couldn’t last forever and my poor bag was beyond repair after a decade of constant use, but I still long that bag and I think the perfect replacement will be Magnoli’s since it is what I believe a real old bag used outdoors should look like without need to any artificial distressing.

Sure Todd’s bags ooks great too, but if you like your bag to look brand new, even Todd recommends a heavy distressing process witch ends up looking somehow like Magnoli’s color anyway.

I’m actually planning to buy a Magnoli’s bag soon, but I’m still saving some money for ordering a suit and a few extras to save some money on the shipping and handling.

I hope my old bags story gets to be useful to someone.