Looking for Advice, Starting Leatherworking

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Looking for Advice, Starting Leatherworking

Post by Anderson »

I'll start off by saying I know nothing about leatherworking aside from some extremely basic things I picked up in Boy Scouts. I'd like to get started, though, as it really interests me. I've picked one project I'd like to start on, and it's the wristband shown here:

http://gbbleather.com:8080/gbbleather/C ... ccessory=2

That wristband costs $250, so I thought, "Why not make my own?"

Trouble is I have no idea where to start. I don't know where to buy leather from, what kind to get, and I'm not sure what tools I need. I'd love to take this up as a hobby, and down the road I'd like to make myself a holster, but I just need some guidance as a complete beginner.

Would anyone mind offering some suggestions? :wink:

Thanks!
MR
Last edited by Anderson on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Herr Doktor »

There are two places I'd look for info on leather working if I were going to start myself...Tandy Leather and Google.

I know Tandy would be a big help, as they have supplies, and probably some books to get you started. Google would probably turn up supplies as well.

Without making stereotypes, I see you are in Texas. Know of any saddle shops in town? Check the Yellow Pages. Might find one of those, and they may be able to help point you in the right direction.
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

I'll move this to the bullwhip section and keep a shadow of it in Lao Che's, a lot of the "leather guys" here hang in the Whip Section and may be able to give you some pointers.... :)
Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Anderson »

Thanks Minnesota!

Herr, anywhere in Texas theres bound to be saddle shops! :lol: I'm sure I can look some up, I think I know of one by me. I had a look at Tandy a couple of days ago, and I might check back there again. There was so much stuff there I felt sort of overwhelmed, but it's worth another shot.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

Leatherwork is one of those things that can get very expensive to get into. The tools for it just like any tools that you buy are going to cost a bit for the quality. Cheap tools when it comes to leather work generally just do not work well.

$250 for a leather bracer like that is insane. It basically just because of the connection to Depp. You could get the same thing from many leather workers for $30-50 easily. Having made similar items before he has MAYBE $5-10 in materials in the thing depending mostly on the leather used. At a maximum it would take an hour to make. I'm sure he has set patterns and maybe even die cutters that he uses to make them.
Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Anderson »

The biggest thing im wondering, really, is what kind of leather I should get if I'm going to attempt a replica, and what color dye to get. I think once I get my hands on the leather I'll be able to go from there. The starting price isn't too much of an issue for me.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

well the type of leather to start with depends on the feel you want. do you want something softer or something harder? I normally will make them out of tooling leather, it can be made to be harder and is quite durable.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Back in the ##'s, I paid for a couple of semesters at University making and selling leather bags, belts, sandals, purses, etc. When I started, all I had was what I read in The Whole Earth Catalog, and a paperback I picked up called Brendan's Leather Book - which I see is available used on Amazon for as little as $2.47.

Handle the leather, see what feels good to you, compare it to leather products you have liked or disliked. Talk to guys who have shoe repair shops, see if they have tools they'll sell - craftsmen collect tools like gearheads collect hats and jackets.

Try something simple to see what it takes to make the material take the shape you want, take flea market pieces apart and see how they were made. Look at pictures in catalogs and try to figure out how you would put the thing together - have your order of operations clear before you make a cut

Let your hands learn basic skills on simple stuff before you invest yourself in something you really want.

Get ONLY the tools you need for your current project. Fancy attachments and jigs won't teach you anything. It's like woodworking. You don't need a big tablesaw, bandsaw, shaper, belt sander, router, etc. to make simple pieces. Learn handsaws, chisels and planes. A good knife, awl and some harness needles will take you a long ways when you know what you need to accomplish and are prepared to take care.

LJ