White liners as shipped, or gold liners as dyed on the set

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Lee Keppler
Vendor

White liners as shipped, or gold liners as dyed on the set

Post by Lee Keppler »

Which color liner should my new Fedora have?
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I like the white. Just my humble opinion.

:)
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

I like white....But you want it screen accurate right?
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Actually, if you look at the rocket sled scene, the liner is white.
Jonny Whip Crack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonny Whip Crack »

Hey Lee. I think the white is nice; it's classy, not too flashy. Can't wait to see my new hat from you in the upcoming weeks.
Jonny
Picker
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Picker »

I like the white: classic, time-honored. Let it yellow on its own. I, too, am looking forward to my Keppler fedora.
Picker
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I'm in favor of white. I actually didn't care for the gold liner in that scene.
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

go for the gold a light gold though! it looks awesome IMO!
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

To quote the movie Beautiful Girls.
Champagne. It's the newest thing.
Only they were talking about a brown diamond.

For a hat liner, it's not as stark as white but not as gawdy as gold.
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

Hard to say! White is SA but gold is what we get to "examine" in the movie. If you did gold you would be the only one doing it so thats kinda cool.

Torn!
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Lee,

I think the white looks best! Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve!

Brady
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I think gold, or champagne, is something a little different, and kind of neat. Although a pearly white is pretty classy, I think there's something nice about having a gold-ish liner that says, "This is a special hat."

That's just me though...

Shane
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I agree with Mcfly. Gold is the way to go imo. :junior: -M
Haplo81
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Haplo81 »

I think white is classy and original. Can't wait till I get it
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

I noticed the rocket sled hat liner too. You know if it were a jacket they would have caught it easily, I don't think they were keeping good track of some things.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

The CS hat has a white liner when Indy picks it up at the Beginning. I'd go either way you want it Lee, mine can have gold or white. I guess it doesn't matter so much. Though, technically, my vote's still for white. :wink:
RNomura
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RNomura »

I like the idea of a champagne coloured liner. Not exactly white and not exactly yellow gold. Very classy!

~Ron
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

I've been thinking about changing out the liner in my Fed IV... I say gold-ish!
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

yea the white liner is the nicest
Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

On page 13 of the IJATKOTCS official magazine, there's a pic of Indy and the "new Pat Roach" Ruskie, and the hat clearly has a champagne liner. (And the gold AB embossing on the sweatband is evident as well!)

If a white liner also showed up, then they must have switched baskets, er I mean hats. ;)
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

Treadwell wrote:On page 13 of the IJATKOTCS official magazine, there's a pic of Indy and the "new Pat Roach" Ruskie, and the hat clearly has a champagne liner. (And the gold AB embossing on the sweatband is evident as well!)

If a white liner also showed up, then they must have switched baskets, er I mean hats. ;)
My screen worn KOTCS hat has a white liner, with logo. I am not aware that Western Costumes died the liners for any of the hats on film. I think that was a CGI effect by ILM, when they brushed out the embossed logos on the sweatband. The logos do appear in some stills. I will try and find out from some friends I have at Western. Did Bernie admit to doing this on set perhaps? To my knowledge, and Steve please correct me if I am wrong here, but all the hats shipped with the same color liners?
Last edited by Henry on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Steve said they all originally shipped with plain white liners - no AB logos inside... so ILM wouldn't have had to brush out any logos anyway. I think the story is they were dyed on set so that they wouldn't reflect as much light.

How'd you get a screen used hat?

Shane
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

McFly wrote:Steve said they all originally shipped with plain white liners - no AB logos inside... so ILM wouldn't have had to brush out any logos anyway. I think the story is they were dyed on set so that they wouldn't reflect as much light.

How'd you get a screen used hat?

Shane
Here is a quote from Steve I found on another thread about this subject: "To settle this. The liners were plain, unmarked. Western Costume toned down the white, as Bernie said the bright white might present problems when filmed. They did in fact use hair color to darken the ..." So I stand partialy corrected. I can say that my hat as worn by Harrison odes have the Adventurebuilt Logo on the liner, and the embossing on the sweatband. I can not speak for Steve entirely, but I can say that some of the hats, maybe not all I don't know, did have white liners. As a matter of fact Steve told me that he had asked Bernie if the logos were going to create a problem when hats had been shipped, and Bernie told Steve not to worry about it, that Lucas will brush them out if nessacary. I obtained my hat directly from Western Costumes Co after production had ended. I am not sure if what all Western Costumes did to the hats/ some of the hats, but mine is legit, and it has a logo with white liner. The rumor about the liners being dyed, may be true to an extent, but in the film, in a few scenes the white liner is evident. So I would doubt that "all" hats had this treatment. Some hats may have required a "dye" job like in the church where lighting was very bright, but most of the film is dark, so I doubt that "reflection" was a factor. The white liner appears on the rocket sled scene, also at the beginging of the film when Indy picks up his hat from the ground. The gold embossing on the sweat band is also evident on the stills of Indy on the rocket sled.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

My screen worn KOTCS hat has a white liner, with logo.
Wow, dude you got the rare hat of the group. This hat was the sample hat that accidently got picked up and aged and dyed by the girl at Western Costume. It had the Staff of Ra Headpiece on the liner. This hat is the shorter one that appeared in the film, once outside and once inside. And the first hat grabbed and used at the beginning of the filming in Hawaii. And the ONLY hat that had the AB logo on the liner. Once Bernie got the hat back, he then noticed the Staff of Ra crest, and that was when he knew the sample hat was sent to the film site. But the footage had been shot, so he put it back to re-use it in the inside scenes, for continuities sake. Congrats on owning the rarest hat of the group!!!! The number 3 hat as noted on a certain part of the hat.(can't divulge too much info on this for apparent reasons.) Fedora
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

Fedora wrote:
My screen worn KOTCS hat has a white liner, with logo.
Wow, dude you got the rare hat of the group. This hat was the sample hat that accidently got picked up and aged and dyed by the girl at Western Costume. It had the Staff of Ra Headpiece on the liner. This hat is the shorter one that appeared in the film, once outside and once inside. And the first hat grabbed and used at the beginning of the filming in Hawaii. And the ONLY hat that had the AB logo on the liner. Once Bernie got the hat back, he then noticed the Staff of Ra crest, and that was when he knew the sample hat was sent to the film site. But the footage had been shot, so he put it back to re-use it in the inside scenes, for continuities sake. Congrats on owning the rarest hat of the group!!!! The number 3 hat as noted on a certain part of the hat.(can't divulge too much info on this for apparent reasons.) Fedora
Thanks Steve for clarifying that for myself and the group! Yes the hat is #3 (as indicated by Bernie's numbering system). Its great having it, and now with that extra tid bit, a lot more of the puzzle has been put together. I was able to screen match the distressing on the ribbon to the jungle truck chase. The ribbon distressing matches perfectly in one scene, then changes slightly in another. Since the Hawaii truck chase was one of the first filmng stops, it makes sense. From what I have pieced together the puzzle is complete. When the hat was shipped to Hawaii for filming the hat was distressed by Western Costumes. When Bernie discovered the hat was used in error, and now had to continue its use for the following interior shots, the hat had to be cleaned by Western Costumes (result of the waterfall) washing away the distress patterns. When the re-shoots were scheduled for close-up portions of that outside truck chase, Western Costumes re-distressed the hat, and tried matching it as closely to the continuity photos as possible so there would be no discrepency on screen. The re-shoots were cancelled, and that accounts for why the pattern in some scenes matches perfect, and in others the new distressing appears in the same pattern, but "newer" looking. Thanks again for the clarification!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Thanks so much again for the clarification!
Glad to help out. And it reminded me(I had forgotten) that the sample hat had the crested liner, as the other samples did. By the way, those liners in the other hats came from Art Fawcett. Once Steven had picked which hat he wanted, the main order were sent with plain white liners, that I got from Art. When the order was increased to 36, I used my liner maker's plain white liner which was constructed differently than the ones Art sold me. So some of the liners have a seam at the back, and some have a side seam. The side seamed liners were nicer(thicker) liners than the back seamed ones.

Bernie also told us that he might remove the AB name from the sweats, but I don't know if he did or not. I never asked. Fedora
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

Fedora wrote:
Thanks so much again for the clarification!
Glad to help out. And it reminded me(I had forgotten) that the sample hat had the crested liner, as the other samples did. By the way, those liners in the other hats came from Art Fawcett. Once Steven had picked which hat he wanted, the main order were sent with plain white liners, that I got from Art. When the order was increased to 36, I used my liner maker's plain white liner which was constructed differently than the ones Art sold me. So some of the liners have a seam at the back, and some have a side seam. The side seamed liners were nicer(thicker) liners than the back seamed ones.

Bernie also told us that he might remove the AB name from the sweats, but I don't know if he did or not. I never asked. Fedora
Steve,

The embossed info on the sweatband does appear in a couple of photos from the film, mainly the rocket sled shots. On mine, the embossing is still there, but looks like someone was either rubbing it off, or Harrisons sweat really fadded it. I am not sure which.

Steve I PM'd you also!
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

White is Right

Post by lpa53 »

I'd vote for an off-white like champagne. Gold to me seems too, well, pretentious.

And Lee, don't forget to let me know what I need to do to order. may just give you a call.

Paul
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Lee Keppler wrote:Actually, if you look at the rocket sled scene, the liner is white.
Actually it is not. I have 2 clear images of Indy on the rocket sled, and both show an off-white or gold liner in the hat. I will post these when I get back today from school.
here's the clearest of the two.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Unless you are going to be using two different liners for your brown and gray hats, I say stick with white. It is classic and classy. the gold liner will go well with brown but not with gray.

Dave
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

i should opt for the white liner. Does it not become more yellowy and dirty'er looking after years of wear?
I noticed in my Fed, which original red/pink liner I replaced with a white one that this white one has become more yellowy, dirty'er, goldish looking.
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

Lee Keppler wrote:Actually, if you look at the rocket sled scene, the liner is white.
I'm looking at the picture from the rocket-sled scene in the Official Movie Magazine. That liner is clearly a gold or champagne color.

Perhaps you saw a white lining in a different shot from the same scene? Perhaps a different take?

Tony
Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

Here is the pic from the magazine.

Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

Not to play Devil's Advocate here, but could it be light reflecting on the liner to appear to LOOK off-white :?: Also, I just noticed that we see the bow on the inside, which means Indy was wearing the hat backwards when he was on the sled :shock:

:wink:

PS: How bout a compromise and offer both white AND off-white/gold/champagne liners :D
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Finally saw Skull

Post by lpa53 »

I just got taken to Indy for Father's Day. I looked hard to see the liner but things were happening so fast I didn't get a good look until the wedding (!) where the liner looked like champagne gold. Since it appeared to be facing away from the light from the chapel door I don't think it was the light.

On the other hand maybe it was one of his other hats as the main one went through quite a lot of stress.

The quiet champagne gold looked pretty nice.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

my 2 cents...everybody's hat has a white liner. There are a few Akubra models with a Red liner, and that looks pretty cool.
A gold/champagne liner would rock!
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Indiana Neri wrote:PS: How bout a compromise and offer both white AND off-white/gold/champagne liners :D

I like this best. I mean why not? If you can order both let buyers have their choice...???
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

citRon wrote:my 2 cents...everybody's hat has a white liner. There are a few Akubra models with a Red liner, and that looks pretty cool.
A gold/champagne liner would rock!
My sentiments exactly, citRon. Everyone's got a white liner, let's make it gold just for the sake of being unique. :junior: -M
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

OK, I was wrong about the rocket sled. :oops:

I can get them with a white or a gold liner. It is a factory hat after all. I will try to have some in stock on a regular basis, however, if a different color liner is desired, it will take a while. Please vote by posting.

Thanks, Lee
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

OK OK! change my vote.. gold off white or whatever! haha. The more I've thought about it I do like a non white liner.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

I think I'd prefer the champaign color. My vintage Whippet has a campaign colored liner and I think it sets it apart from all of my other hats that are similar to it. Sort of makes it a little less ordinary.

Cheers!

Dan
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

gold...or whatever that non-white color was. :junior: -M
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Go for the Gold Again

Post by lpa53 »

I thought the gold was too flashy at first but now like it.

I vote for the gold.

:D
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

So does that mean the new Kepplers are still at this stage in development? I haven't heard from or to talked to Lee in a couple of weeks, I was thinking the hats were closer to being completed. Has anyone spoken to him recently?

And I'm still for the gold now. ha
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

I prefer an off white or gold. Head sweat turns white liners that color anyway.
'Blues
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

White or Gold Liner?

Post by YARVTON »

Red for the Brown Hat and Blue for the Gray.

How about Sweat-stained for the most authentic look?