Shoe Polish

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Jakk55
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Shoe Polish

Post by Jakk55 »

Has any one tried shoe polish to change the color of thier whips, and/or, give it a high sheen?
I know Pecard's seems to be the favorite method but was curious about alternatives.
Last edited by Jakk55 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alex »

Yes I did :D and it worked very well for me. The jrzjoe whip I had was a redish brown and I used black shoe polish to weather it and darken it up. It looks very Indy now. 8)
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

I've experimented with shoe polish, but I've never been happy with the results. The polish actually seemed to dry-out the whip's leather.

I have a friend that swears by Properts creamy boot polish for "colorizing" his whips, but I have not tried it.

I believe Pecards makes a leather treatment that has a coloring agent in it. I have never used that variety, so I cannot attest to its effectiveness.
racerx
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by racerx »

I have on occasion used shoe polish on the knots of my whips; it keeps them tight and with a light brushing puts a little sheen to them.

Also I've used the liquid shoe polish in black on a cowhide snake whip, it worked ok.

But for overall polishing, I stick to using pecards or the like, putting extra on the fall naturally. :D

I'd be interested to know the results of trying the colored pecards though, sound like a good thing to have for scuff marks and such.

Might have to pick some up.

Cheers.

Jim J.