Crazy to want another? Now Wested trouble - help please!!!!!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Crazy to want another? Now Wested trouble - help please!!!!!

Post by Raider S »

OK, my USW vintage cowhide arrived four days ago and I'm already thinking of getting their goatskin. Am I nuts? I think the cowhide is the best jacket I've ever owned and even in the heat I'm sitting around wearig it in the house.

Now I figure I'd like a goat too as it's probably lighter and would be another good looking piece. And I really enjoyed dealing with USW.

How do you talk me out of this?

Please see my post and photos below as the question isn't so easy now.
Last edited by Raider S on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Crazy to want another? Already???

Post by Piers »

Raider S wrote:
How do you talk me out of this?
we don't 8)
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

The best advice I can give you is to just go ahead and do it. Buy another jacket. Why deny yourself any longer? After all, you deserve it :twisted:

-Nebraska
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Not crazy but inflected with the Indygear virus. The only cure is to but another jacket :lol:
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

My "problem" may have been solved sooner than expected...something rather unexpected arrived in the post today. Will advise when I get it sorted out. I can say it involves another jacket maker...
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

IndyBrit wrote:Not crazy but inflected with the Indygear virus. The only cure is to buy another jacket :lol:
Yes, the cure is another jacket, and then another one, and another, and another............... :shock:
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Save your cowhide for the winter and get the goat. My Wested washed goat is thin, lightweight, but very strong....it's very comfortable to wear this time of year.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

not crazy....not when you're talking to this group :wink:

in my case, i've always wanted another jacket because i saw room for improvement.....it all was extinguished when i received my TN jacket.

i even received another non-indy jacket after that and had to store it for now considering i still want to wear the TN......don't know how long i'll wear it for but that's part of the fun :D
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I've got the same problem. My Wings CE is about 3 weeks old and I'm wanting a Wested Raiders cut really bad. The washed goat is particularly calling to me.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Sort of like Ruffles potato chips, you can't have just one. :twisted:

Cheers!

Dan
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Jackets are so moreish!
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

my only advice is if your not married go for it, married wife may give you how many jackets do you need speech. I got that this morning talking about my wested goat I waiting for. she thinks I'm crazy. So good luck
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Well, a Wested Raiders special crunch lamb arrived today. Problem is I had cancelled the order soon (a few hours) after placing it because my plan was to get a custom one and get fitted when I was over there visiting my brother. I revieved several emails, the same day I requested the cancel, from Gemma who informed me my card had been refunded.

I called my card company after the jacket arrived and indeed I'd been charged. Sent an email to Wested (but no answer as I'm sure it's past business hours). My intent isn't to bash Wested either as I'm positive they'll make this right.

I'm stuck here and not too happy: If I had my choice of having to get an off the peg I'd proably go for the goat LC special. If I send it back I certainly don't want to pay shipping. If I keep it, the sleeves need to be shortened by an inch further adding to the cost of something I didn't want.

The jacket is quite beautiful and the fit truly amazing (other than the sleeve length). It's much different from the USW cow in terms of weight (and I think the USW is a higher quality "lifetime" jacket). The Wested looks great but there is one slight blemish/cut in the leather I don't like. The stitching looks fine but there is no Union Jack as I believe these were made in Pakistan (while not a huge issue, a UK made one seems nicer).

jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

cool looking jacket, just add it to your collection, by the way how many days did you have to wait for your order and who delivers it, since Wested uses Parcel force who is the american counter part?
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

It came exactly ten days after the order was placed. Delivered by the USPS and I had to sign.

No doubt it is a nice jacket and feels wonderful.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

My advice. If you really want to return it, get on the phone to Peter in the morning and explain what happened.

If you are coming over within a short amount of time it might be best to keep hold of the jacket and bring it with you when you come, but clear it with Peter first. It's not worth spending the money to send it back if you are already coming over. Did it come with tags? I hope you left them on?

Sleeve shortening is the easiest thing to get done, any dry cleaners should be able to do it for you and for a small price, just make sure they know you want the sleeves finished in exactly the same way, folded over and held with heat webbing, you don't want them sewing on the cuff!

I don't believe that small blemish warrants any concern personally.

I'm told those particular jackets are made in India.

PS. Looking over your post you might be able to persuade Peter to pay for the shipping back to them as a credit for a new jacket. But use 'small packet airmail', it should cost less than $25. and remember to mark the packet returned goods, (see Wested's site for the correct wording).
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Thanks for the advise. No tags, so no need to worry about that. (Should it have tags?)

Yes, the blemish is a minor flaw and not something that's a big deal.

I don't blame Wested as mistakes happen (maybe other people have different thoughts about that) and the darn jacket is nice. But it's kind of an odd way to aquire something!
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

I'm curious.......why does Wested out-source some jackets to India but not others?......seems origin of manufacture does not figure into the price for a given style of jacket. I guess if you truly want a U.K.-made jacket from Wested, you have to specify it when you order.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

PSBIndy wrote:I'm curious.......why does Wested out-source some jackets to India but not others?......seems origin of manufacture does not figure into the price for a given style of jacket. I guess if you truly want a U.K.-made jacket from Wested, you have to specify it when you order.
Yeah... the Wested jacket; just like the one used in the classic film - made in Pakistan.... WTF!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

India. CM. India.

He was looking to produce a lower cost jacket and deliver them in better time. Looks like he did it, with some people now getting jackets in less than a week!

You can still have a UK made jacket if you go custom. Benefits seem to be twofold, customs have been coming out quicker too.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Kt Templar wrote:India. CM. India.

He was looking to produce a lower cost jacket and deliver them in better time. Looks like he did it, with some people now getting jackets in less than a week!

You can still have a UK made jacket if you go custom. Benefits seem to be twofold, customs have been coming out quicker too.
Sorry Kt - I made a cheap shot. I understand that Magnoli's high quality gear is also made in Asia, possibly India. Are Todd's made there too? I guess I was just sounding off at the idea of a Wested not being made in England. I think of the Wested as one of those great British traditions... It sounded to me like buying a Rolls Royce made in... Indonesia.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Just kind of curious that nobody thinks it rather odd that I get emails confirming a cancelled order and credit card refunded yet still get shipped a jacket and charged for it.

I buy lots of things online, and honestly this is a first for me.

I've been searching a bit on here and get the feeling this isn't too much of a stretch for Wested.

Again, great jacket, the shipping (though unwanted) was fast, but it is a few hundred dollars that's at issue.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

....so are the leather brought to India from the U.K. and sewn together in India or are the leather itself harvested in India?
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

so are all off the racks from India or just some of the jackets. just curious.
IndianaGeo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

India etc

Post by IndianaGeo »

If I were to find out mine was made in India, they would go straight back to Wested. If it´s advertised as being English, which they were, then I expect it to be made in England. I don´t go for being bamboozled.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I think in the US its a law to say where a garment is made somewhere inside the piece of clothing.

All the Wested says is "Made by Craftsmen" with no mention of where those craftsmen happen to be.

It did come with an envelope I believe contains a certificate of authenticity. (I haven't opened that up because I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the jacket and feel it appropriate to leave everything in "as recieved" condition.)

Wonder if it says where there are made on the certificate?
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

My latest washed goat (OTR) has a Wested tag with no mention of "made by British Craftsmen" like my other Wested jackets, so I assume it's made in India (and there's no "made in the U.K." tag either). The jacket otherwise is still excellent as far as quality is concerned. The thing that intrigues me is whether these jackets coming from India are still made with Wested's leather from the U.K. (or are they locally harvested).
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

You'll notice now Wested runs 2 streams of product.

Indyjacket.co.uk where they do the customs made in the UK and the ekm powershop side that handles the slightly cheaper otrs which are mainly imported.

They no longer advertise as "Made In the UK" on either site. You will get UK labels inside UK jackets, shirts and Pants if they are made in the UK.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Kt Templar wrote:You'll notice now Wested runs 2 streams of product.

Indyjacket.co.uk where they do the customs made in the UK and the ekm powershop side that handles the slightly cheaper otrs which are mainly imported.

They no longer advertise as "Made In the UK" on either site. You will get UK labels inside UK jackets, shirts and Pants if they are made in the UK.
I have bought two full price off-the-rack jackets in the main site, and both are made in UK.
Woodford
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Woodford »

Wish I'd known this a couple of months ago.

Is it too simplistic to say that the easiest way to tell is the yoke falling bellow the arm seam on the back, would make it a non UK made item?
Mine is like that, and no Union Flag nor Made In UK tag to be seen.
floyd1977
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by floyd1977 »

Next time you receive a package you don't want you should just refuse the package and the postal service will ship it back. Saves you the trouble of repacking and having to worry about keeping things as they were found.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

I purchased a ROTLA OTR size 40 that arrived a few weeks ago and mine is clearly marked Made in Great Britain with the Union Jack Flag and then another white tag stating Genuine Leather made in the U. K.

I would be upset about recieving confirmation emails saying the order was cancelled and then still recieving the order and finding out I had been charged. Code 3 collectibles did this to me several years ago on the diecast Falcon I had ordered. It took forever to get the appropriate credit back on my credit card. It was the first and last time I ever dealt with that company. The situation with Code3 taught me to refuse a package if I canceled it before it shipped.
Last edited by scot2525 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

OTR used to mean they were returned jackets that were mis-sized or like 'problem'. They had always been perfectly made inhouse custom Wested jackets...just not what the original buyer wanted.

Sounds to me that's what you got.

OTR seems to now mean the outsourced jackets now.

Regards! Michaelson
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Michaelson wrote:OTR used to mean they were returned jackets that were mis-sized or like 'problem'. They had always been perfectly made inhouse custom Wested jackets...just not what the original buyer wanted.

Sounds to me that's what you got.

OTR seems to now mean the outsourced jackets now.

Regards! Michaelson
So it sounds like I got lucky then as I really wasn't expecting to recieve one made in Great Britain. :D

When I originally ordered the jacket I was expecting to recieve a jacket made by Peter himself, but after further reading on COW I lowered my expectations alot. I am extremely happy with the jacket I recieved, although I had a brief shrinkage scare, but I too want to order a Novapelle ROTLA '80's fit or Novapelle LC jacket. This would require a lot of explaining to the wife and would definitely require selling the original jacket as well as "other" pieces of gear recently acquired.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I have all my emails in case I need to settle this through my credit card company - I doubt that will be required though!

If I refuse a package, I guess I'd worry it got back to them and what fiasco that would turn into. But I will keep it in mind for the future. But this is a first for me and I have been ordering online for over a decade now.

I understand mistakes happen and always will!
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

man, I have the exact opposite problem! The fresh 'My Little Pony' leather smell is still on my 2 month old HH LC custom Wested, and I'm positive I need a Wings Vintage Moo Cow jacket!
Well, the Wested fits tighter in the chest, it seems, than a normal jacket would, with tighter arm holes. So I won't be layering a sweater under it in the winter. -And Wings' is a looser cut, 'regular jacket' fitting jacket, right? So really, how can I not get one? Seems logical to me.

-you think my wife will go for that?
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Dude, you will LOVE the USW cow! I agree 110% about the tight fit in the arms and chest, the USW will give a bit more room there but will still feel right.

I'm getting a lot of comments about the vintage cowhide from people who see it. Honestly, it's the best jacekt I've ever owned (so far!). Both styles are nice, though.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Were I to order a "Minority Report" jacket in brown goat instead of black - who would fill that order for me? How would that get done?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

[quote="Renderking Fisk"
Were I to order a "Minority Report" jacket in brown goat instead of black - who would fill that order for me? How would that get done?[/quote]

I'm guessing UK, as very few of those are made (even the black ones) so it's not worth getting the patterns and an order into the overseas factory.