MK VII Satchel, Customized Magnoli VS. Original with pics

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

MK VII Satchel, Customized Magnoli VS. Original with pics

Post by TheMechanic »

Check this out. Magnoli sent me one of his new replica Mk VII Indy bags. The new bag, unlike my last one, is almost the correct size. (It's still small though.) The color was the same yellow really light khaki color, so I did something about it.

First I dyed the replica bag with about half a packet of Dylon Olive Green. My guesstimate was just about perfect. The new color is really as close as it gets.

Next I stripped the finish off of all the brass parts and blackened them with Brass Black. After that the brass hardware was buffed out with steel wool.

I also very carefully fully sanded the metal "O" rings that the strap attaches to. Now the rings are the correct "Raiders" silver.

I got bored yesterday and decided to change out the snaps as well. I took some military issue blackened brass DOT brand snaps and created a special tool from scratch to produce the ring around the rim of the snap. After re-setting the new snaps they were buffed out with steel wool.

The metal disc on the side of the replica bag was originally a clear coated black color that just didn't look authentic. The rivet holding it on was not accurate either and pulled right off the bag.

After knocking the rivet out, I stripped the replica disc down to bare metal and gave it my special paint and finish. Trying to replicate 60+ years of metal oxide was an interesting challenge.

Satisfied with the look of my new disc, I then re-attached to the satchel just like the original. I backed the disc with a large stainless steel fender washer so it cannot pull out and riveted it back on with a solid copper rivet (exactly like an original) which I had to hollow out by hand and peen over to hold the disc on.

Let me know what you think.
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p131 ... Bag098.jpg[/img]
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

Mechanic, are the rings still pinched closed, or are they soldered closed??
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

The rings are welded. I sanded them while they were still sewn into the bag, I did not remove them.
Playmount
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Playmount »

Mechanic... great job! I have a Magnoli bag myself and am probably going to do exactly what you did. One question: which type of Dylon dye did you use... permanent, or multipurpose?

Here is where I'm probably going to buy it, cause my local JoAnne's fabrics only carries Ritt and these guys below also have fullers earth, and I need some of that too:

http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/store/m ... _perm.html
http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/store/m ... multi.html

The permanent dye is called simply "Olive" and comes in 1.75oz packets. The multipurpose is called "Olive Green" and comes in an unknown sized cup. I want to make sure I use the same dye and amount you used, since your results were so good.

Thanks!
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

tell me something

the metal disk on the bag...
what purpose DID it serve on the original?

I have one of magnolis bags and its a pretty sweet bag
I wish the inside had a full sized comparment... anyone customized one for that?
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

The tab on the on the side opposite the disk would have a string attatched to it. The string tucked into the pocket beneath the tab. In the event you were gassed, the bag was actually worn on the front, and the string was wrapped around the body and secured to the metal disk to keep the bag from swaying too awkwardly. The MK VI has just another tab or small metal ring in place of the disk on most.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Hey Playmount,

I used the Dylon Permanent dye in the packet. I hand washed the bag first in hot water and detergent and rinsed it really really good. Then I filled up a plastic bucket with hot water, added the salt as the instuctions tell you to do, then pre-mixed up about half a packet of dye and added it to the water. Then you dunk the bag in the bucket and constantly move it around. (I used a piece of plastic pipe to agitate the bag). Check it often, like every 30 seconds until it's the shade you want. Remember, it's going to look darker than it really is because it's wet. The longer you leave it in the darker it will get.

When it's where you want it, take it out and rinse it in cold water for about 10 minutes. Blot as much water out as you can with a towel, stuff it with newspaper and set it aside to dry. Once a day you can change out the newspaper to help it dry faster.

Glad you like the bag. Thanks.